Error Code P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
TSLMember

Exclamation Error Code P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire

Hi Saab friends,

Check engine light came on and produced a "P0303" error code which according to this forum here

OBD codes! - SaabCentral Forums

Is a cylinder 3 misfire. Anyone have any prior experience with a similar problem? Is this something I can fix myself(novice mechanic, changed spark plugs by myself) or if it is not any general amounts for cost? Thank you all so much

L

06' 9-3 2.oT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Well, I am assuming it could be a coil pack, failing spark plug or bad plug gap. Try swapping the coil pack on cyl 3 with the cyl 1 pack, resetting the code and waiting for the code to reappear. If it comes back as a cyl 1 misfire, I believe you need a new coil pack. If it returns on cyl 3 then you need to do some more digging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

When was the last time that you did the Spark plugs? Thats normally what causes the misfire. I would pull the plug and check it make sure its not dark or looks burned. If the blug looks good then I would go with what Saabeh said. If you haven't changed your plugs in like 6K to 9K miles that could be the issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
TSLMember

Picture of Cyl 3 spark plug

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Looks pretty fucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
TSLMember

So the last time I replaced the plugs was about 1,500 miles ago. As opposed to using the NGK plugs the guy at autozone recommended the Denso Iridium Power plugs. I went with these (I should note that the problem had begun prior to changing the plugs, so to try and fix it I did this). I used the Di electric grease and checked all of the covers to the spark plugs(sic) and everything appeared to be okay. This it only seems to happen when max psi is being applied to the turbo and when the engine has already been running and is at the half way mark of the temperature gauge
Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Looks pretty fucky.
yeah I agree lol. The problem has persisted even after putting in new plugs
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Swap coils around and see if the code changes.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
TSLMember

going to try this. Thanks for the help. Does having a bad coil pack make the engine susceptible to further damage? Do all 4 have to be replaced or can it be replaced individually?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdeezylax6 View Post
going to try this. Thanks for the help. Does having a bad coil pack make the engine susceptible to further damage? Do all 4 have to be replaced or can it be replaced individually?
You should be able to replace them individually. Just need to figure out if its the problem. Could be a few other things, but lets rule out the coil pack by testing it first.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdeezylax6 View Post
So the last time I replaced the plugs was about 1,500 miles ago. As opposed to using the NGK plugs the guy at autozone recommended the Denso Iridium Power plugs. I went with these (I should note that the problem had begun prior to changing the plugs, so to try and fix it I did this). I used the Di electric grease and checked all of the covers to the spark plugs(sic) and everything appeared to be okay. This it only seems to happen when max psi is being applied to the turbo and when the engine has already been running and is at the half way mark of the temperature gauge
The first problem here is you listened to the Autozone guy! those guys are normally stupid when it comes to anything that has to do the a Saab. If you get more make sure you get the OE replacement ones. They sold my buddy ones that where like a 3 heat when they should've been 7 I believe and his car ran like crap.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
TSLMember

I have since changed the coil packs from cyl 3 to cyl 1, the check engine light has since turned off however the problem still persists. I do believe it is the coil pack for certain, as when I removed all 4 plugs and packs the plug on cyl 3 looked very worned and used when these just got replaced a mere 3 months ago; the other three looked brand new. Will post a picture when possible
Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
TSLMember

anyone have a recommendation on where to buy a coil pack from?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Elder

Local dealer, eEuroparts, RockAuto, even O'Reilly's. Don't get aftermarket parts, the OEM coils should be made by Bosch.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
TSLMember

I have since replaced the coil and also the spark plugs back to the NGK 10G. The NGK part number is 5542 for anyone who would like to know for future reference. The difference with the new coil and OEM plugs is night and day!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
TSLMember

Admin, interested in a sticky for changing plugs/coils? I have pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
check engine, engine, error code

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in