New to Saab - Need a Mechanic/Indi Shop in Northern Va - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
SAABeginner

New to Saab - Need a Mechanic/Indi Shop in Northern Va

I just bought my first Saab (a 2003 9-3 Vector) and I need a mechanic or Indi in Nova to help with programming my keyfob and possibly a few other issues.

I just replaced the battery in the remote and the SID (is that what it's called) still says that the battery is low/dead. The key will start the car fine but none of the buttons work (even with the new battery). And the actual mechanical/metal key will NOT unlock the driver's door so I can't currently lock the car.

I'm assuming my best bet is to buy a new remote/fob and have it programmed for the car?

I've read about 11ty threads about this topic all over the interwebs but none have addressed my specific set of circumstances. I've tried everything short of the unhooking negative terminal for five minutes, rehooking it, then put key into ignition trick.

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Elder

Seems silly, but I have seen people put the key battery in upside down, make sure you didn't accidentally do that.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Seems silly, but I have seen people put the key battery in upside down, make sure you didn't accidentally do that.
The numbers on the battery face away from the circuit board?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Elder

Chip used start the car is associated with key itself, buttons for the remote (banana shaped or integrated with the key?) are separate and try battery flip and see what happens? Will the key open the trunk or any other lock besides starting the car? If the mechanical key part doesn't work its possible there is an external key and a key to start car/twice unit

Did you get a second key? If you don't have one, suggest you get one make immediately. Indy can help you out.

What other type of work are you looking to have done?

Al at Main Street Tire and Auto in Chantilly
Harvey in Finksburg MD
Eric/Viking in Gaithersburg, MD
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSaab View Post
The numbers on the battery face away from the circuit board?

Correct. See if the two little prongs that protrude from the board to grab the side of the battery aren't bent too far out - I've seen that too. Gently gently bend them inwards towards where the center of the battery would rest and snap it back together.

When the battery has been dead for a long time you need to put the key into and out of the ignition switch a bunch of times to re-sync it with the car. Like 5-7 times in and out, then try it.

The contacts right under the white copyright bar in this photo, not the four gold contacts that touch the button side of the battery. You'd bend them gently down and to the right as you look at it in this photo.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
SAABeginner

I've used Ernie at Reinharts garage in Arlington on Lee Highway for years and can recommend him without reservation. He really knows saabs and he's fair and honest.

I don't have the shop phone # but I'm sure it's only a click or two away.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in