are the 08+ wagons any good? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

are the 08+ wagons any good?

Right so the newest saab i've ventured to own and or experience are the 9000's and I love my aero its awesome and I love the 2 C900s I have wont give any of these cars up....now here is thee kicker I want to keep the older cars forever and they all have 300K miles on them so I want a newer car in the next yr or 2 plus my fiance is on edge thinking my cars are going to break down and I would have to drive his car a Jetta and TT and since I drive like im on fire that isnt an option (but hell he thinks 100K miles is alot). It would be nice to have a car I dont have to work on too much plus all 3 of mine are in line to be stripped down so my requirements are manual, turbo and wagon...So im cross shopping Subaru Legacy GT wagon 2006-2009 and the 2008-2011 9-3 2.0T wagon...How are the 08+ 9-3's holding up?
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Elder

I would strongly suggest '05 or earlier 9-5 if you want to go newer reliable DD.

The later 9-3's are mechanically reliable but electronically they can be disastrous unless you have cheap access to a Tech2 (and someone who knows what they are doing), or you may be visiting a shop much more often than you'd like.

I would not own a 9-3SS without alps owning a Tech2 (as someone who is used to being the only person who is allowed to work on my cars.). My wife's Mini gives me night terrors sometimes worrying about the havoc it could raise with all the body control modules I wouldn't be able to read the codes from.

If you really only want to keep it a year or two it would probably be an ok gamble. If you're like me and will get sucked in and never want to part with it, I'd look elsewhere.

...have you looked at the MazdaSpeed 3? Those are pretty damn cool.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
If you can pm Erica on FB or something she has a few miles in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Our '08 has been nearly flawless, only needing to have the sunroof track lubed once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Our '04 9-3 CV was flawless up to nearly 200k and our '10 9-3 Sedan has 113k on it with absolutely no issues... I'd buy another (or even a bunch more) in a heart beat.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

I'd do all my own work so I would def tech tool...Im kinda torn but wanna try something else maybe..
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Elder

Like they said, some of them are dead reliable, sometimes they are money pits. As always, it has a lot to do with how well maintained the example you get is and how well it was taken care of. Like the windows never got left cracked and it got moisture inside, no crash damage to monkey with the wiring, battery never leaked acid down onto the main harness junction located idiotically directly under the battery tray, etc.

I've met lots of people who never had a problem, and lots who have had tons. Sort of like getting lucky with a good C900 or one that's just a hateful hateful pile of continuous work.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Early 9-3SS were much more troublesome. Friend of mine has at least 100k on his 2008 2.0T wagon 6spd, no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
ironicly, the highest milage SS ive seen is a 2003, hes a friends and the car is at over 220k, it just keeps going,, He got the freak of a 2003 that is actually reliable
Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
TSLMember

The FWD 4 bangers don't handle worth a pizz. The Aero is a cut up and handles quite well. Best handling are the XWD's either the 2.0 or the 2.8 but they could use a tune to match the handling which is much better balanced.

Reliable? Be prepared to walk at least once when the battery gives up the ghost or cold weather sends them into electronic panic mode with the dash lighting up telling you that the number two engine is on fire, the tires are low and the right headlight is out.

Each 08 or 09 owner I know has had a throttle body die and an ignition switch cop out.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #11

mhmm well it looks like im going in a different direction and maybe a Fiat 500 Abarth the dealer im talking to is offering $7,000 off hehe so we will see...
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in