2014 Saab 9-3 Aero - Official - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
SAABeginner

2014 Saab 9-3 Aero - Official

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
gdc
SAAB Road Master

I heard 42,000 dollars is the equivalent cost of one of these in Sweden, ouch , and only a 220 horsepower , I realize power is not everything but the math doesnt seem to add up, still dig the big turbine wheels , they need to send a few more pars of them over here State side pronto
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Yeah, I converted the Krona to USD and it just doesn't make sense for the car... Although that means nothing has changed. They were about that price under GM and Spyker for an Aero...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
TSLMember

They were no where near that price under GM, we paid way, way, way less for a brand new car under GM, with dual exhaust, power seats sport suspension and the only way it wasn't "Aero" was the wood trim. GM had lots of discounts like former Saab discount, GM owner discount, active or former military discount and those cut almost half off sticker. If they would have given me the family discount (the big one), we would have saved another $1,200 but her dad retired the year before. They weren't just anyone with a wink and nod, qualifies for the above discounts, they actually called my insurance company to see if we had Saab and GM products listed on our policies.

Under that "squeeze the nickle till the buffalo farts" Dutch cheapskate, the sticker was the price you paid, no discounts at all. When you wonder why Saab failed so fast under him, that's the reason. It was a good $20,000 car but as a $40,000 car it was laughable. He was no dumb ass, he was in it to cash strip the bones of what was left of Saab. He learned very well from the American practice of LBO's in the 80's here in the US. Get in, jack your pay and get out fast. Heck even the Swedes arrested him and the Swedes don't arrest anybody, you really have to stick it to them.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit View Post
They were no where near that price under GM, we paid way, way, way less for a brand new car under GM, with dual exhaust, power seats sport suspension and the only way it wasn't "Aero" was the wood trim. GM had lots of discounts like former Saab discount, GM owner discount, active or former military discount and those cut almost half off sticker. If they would have given me the family discount (the big one), we would have saved another $1,200 but her dad retired the year before. They weren't just anyone with a wink and nod, qualifies for the above discounts, they actually called my insurance company to see if we had Saab and GM products listed on our policies.

Under that "squeeze the nickle till the buffalo farts" Dutch cheapskate, the sticker was the price you paid, no discounts at all. When you wonder why Saab failed so fast under him, that's the reason. It was a good $20,000 car but as a $40,000 car it was laughable. He was no dumb ass, he was in it to cash strip the bones of what was left of Saab. He learned very well from the American practice of LBO's in the 80's here in the US. Get in, jack your pay and get out fast. Heck even the Swedes arrested him and the Swedes don't arrest anybody, you really have to stick it to them.
Actually that's not true at all. We own a '10, and it was nearly half price (in Feb '11 due to rebates, incentives, Saab Loyalty, etc).

Under GM they did have the huge window stickers (just like NEVS-Saab, and Spyker-Saab) but they didn't put the huge rebates on them till the year end to move them off the lot, just like under Spyker... And just like GM does with all of their other vehicles when they're trying to clear them out. Only difference is that they did have great lease specials (If I remember right you could lease a 9-3 Sport Sedan for $299/mo or something crazy), which moved A LOT of new Saabs in the mid 2000s. Interesting thing is that GM took a bath on every single one when they were turned back in and taken to the auction (Example was our Lime Yellow '04 CV that had a nearly 45k window sticker that the dealer we bought it from got for us at the auction 3 years old with 45k on it for $13,000, the residual value was in the 20k-ish range).
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
TSLMember

What time of year did you buy a Spyker car Joe? You mention February 2011 and that was about the time things were looking bad for Spyker We bought in December 2009 and then then weeks later, Spyker took over.

I went back and pestered the sales guy all of that spring of 2010 and finally toward August ended up buying a used car. They just kept telling me there were no deals under Spyker? Had he accepted less, not quite GM prices, but less during that critical first year the suppliers may have been paid and the line kept rolling. Unless he of course had no intention of paying but taking "bonus money" and trying (but failing) to access more loan money from the European Bank.

That winter of 2009 I could have paid $18,000 on a base FWD without the winter package or power seats. The second option was an XWD 2.0 with lots of options except for the power passenger seat and that was $24,000.

The dealer incentive book on discounts wasn't just on items they wanted off the lot. A few years earlier in a fit of madness, I went in to attempt to buy a new Corvette after my friend took me for a ride in his new Z06 and the young salesman offered me the same military discount and even the GM family discount since my wife's dad was employed by a GM distributor. Even with the discounts I couldn't afford it, but I tried.

Perhaps some of this depended on where you were. It may have been Spyker "policy" not to encourage discounts but the dealer could if they opted to though it would have not been a Spyker sanctioned discount. There were a few dealers out in the mid-west who erected billboards with low prices. They did this because inventory was backing up and apparently they went renegade on Muller.

Last edited by littlebit; 12-18-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Yes, we purchased in Feb 2011, they had 2011 models arriving at that point, and were trying to sell the remaining 2010 models, which we have a 2010. We bought our 2.0T FWD M6 w/Moonroof, Cold Weather Package, Onstar (bluetooth) for just over 18k -- Our car has an approximately 33k window sticker... And realistically 18K is WAY too cheap for how much of a car the 9-3 is. You can hardly buy a Focus for 18k, and the Jetta we were contemplating (TDi Manual Trans, Leather, Cold Weather, Moonroof) was $25-26k.

In spring 2010 there weren't any new Saabs on the ground, they were back on the ground around early-mid summer, all as 2010 models of course, and I know that our car for example made it to the dealership around Aug 2010, which in any other manufacturers cycle would have most likely been a 2011 model.

As for rebates/incentives... Go look at a 2014 Ford F150 right now, there are hardly any incentives (maybe $500), where on a 2013 there will be (around $8,000) because they're trying to clear them out.. Same thing with the Saabs.

My thought is that the 9-3 would make a good 23-35k Car (after some more improvements & technology). But if it's in the 40k range, I'd be looking elsewhere if I were going to buy a new car. You can get A LOT of car for 40k elsewhere.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Yes, we purchased in Feb 2011, they had 2011 models arriving at that point, and were trying to sell the remaining 2010 models, which we have a 2010. We bought our 2.0T FWD M6 w/Moonroof, Cold Weather Package, Onstar (bluetooth) for just over 18k -- Our car has an approximately 33k window sticker... And realistically 18K is WAY too cheap for how much of a car the 9-3 is. You can hardly buy a Focus for 18k, and the Jetta we were contemplating (TDi Manual Trans, Leather, Cold Weather, Moonroof) was $25-26k.

In spring 2010 there weren't any new Saabs on the ground, they were back on the ground around early-mid summer, all as 2010 models of course, and I know that our car for example made it to the dealership around Aug 2010, which in any other manufacturers cycle would have most likely been a 2011 model.

As for rebates/incentives... Go look at a 2014 Ford F150 right now, there are hardly any incentives (maybe $500), where on a 2013 there will be (around $8,000) because they're trying to clear them out.. Same thing with the Saabs.

My thought is that the 9-3 would make a good 23-35k Car (after some more improvements & technology). But if it's in the 40k range, I'd be looking elsewhere if I were going to buy a new car. You can get A LOT of car for 40k elsewhere.

Got our '08 6mt Combi for $24k in '08 with a 34k sticker, our '11 with a $37k sticker for $19k in '12. At those prices, I love them both lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in