how are the 9-3 verts holding up? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

how are the 9-3 verts holding up?

Was contemplating adding a newer vert to the fleet to take over everyday duties off the aging fleet....looking at 06 and newer with a manual with the 2.0T any advice or 2 cents about life with the newer saabs.
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Elder

I've never seen one with a broken top!

My parents have had one, 04 arc from 40 to 100k, coil springs, strut bearings and brakes! That's it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Elder

Drivetrain is pretty bomb proof.

Electronic weirdness abounds, lots of semi-common failures. Ignition switch, steering wheel lock, early radio head units and SID's (when car improperly jumpstarted). I would say try for '07+ rather than '04-'06 to avoid the awefully expensive fiber optic stereo parts. ECU's are starting to fail and thrown P0601 like the guy in that thread from a day or two ago. They never fixed the colored skins on all the interior buttons flaking off. 6-speed manual clutch jobs can be expensive because of the dual mass flywheels.

Front suspension strut bearings and mounts get clunky, the rest of the suspension is pretty robust. Water pumps last about 90-100k before they start leaking and require a very steady hand and special tools to replace. Head gaskets last a long time if no overheat, have heard from Anders lots of weird horror stories about balance shaft chain tensioners coming loose, and he and a few other techs have started to see INTAKE valve guides wearing out and valve faces wearing out so badly that you end up with a razor sharp edge around the valve seat, it will misfire slightly when cold, hard to start, but runs and drives fine. There are special tools required to re-install the cams after removing the cylinder head because there is no indexing key or markings on the camshafts or sprockets. Not kidding about that one.

Convertible tops do have parts that fail. Early ones it's very common for the first bow hydraulic cylinder that latches the front of the top to the upper edge of the windshield to blow out and leak. It then leaks hydraulic fluid all over the headliner and all over the interior. Sometimes the inductive proximity sensors in the windshield header and in the rear hinges fail - they are not contact microswitches like on OG9-3 'verts, they are inductive. Sometimes the bundle of hydraulic hoses that goes from the pump up to the first bow cylinder gets caught in the hinge mechanism and cuts the hoses - incredible pain in the ass to replace them.

Other than that, they're peachy....

If you're up to the possibility of being nickel and dimed (not the case with all of them, plenty out there that have been very reliable), they are my favorite series to drive for sure, but my least favorite for prospective ownership.

If you intend to keep it long term it would be good to invest in a Tech2, not a small investment.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Goodness might just buy a low mileage C900 vert instead hehe..I can do all the work on one.
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Elder

Yeah. I keep getting torn whether I want to find a V6 9-3 Aero combi for a new DD when my 9-5 croaks, but always come back to all the little nit picky things that they always seem to need. You guys out on the East Coast have it worse with the corrosion and humidity and snow, but down south where you are they might be about like they are here. They hold up a lot better it seems in the drier climates, but I would never own one if I didn't have a Tech2 and an old copy of TIS2000 so I could get security access without the subscription. Too much potential for it to turn into a big heavy paperweight with how complex the electronic system has become.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
TSLMember

For a daily driver, if you do a lot of driving, especially around town, keep in mind that you'll a significant hit in gas mileage with the V6 but the tuning potential of the V6 cannot be ignored...
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
We had a '04 Vert, put 193k on it before trading it on the wife's '10 Sedan...

Hardly had any issues at all with it... Did normal maintenance - plugs, serp belts, filters, oil changes, brakes... It did need new end links, strut bearings and strut mounts around 120k... Only things we had to do over and above were front wheel bearings @180k, and a fuel pump @ 170k (only replaced it because it needed a fuel level sensor).

Currently we have 110k on my wife's '10 with no issues. It's not even clunky yet.

I'd get one without being afraid of anything.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in