Project 93 Aero - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Project 93 Aero

So I found a deal on a 2004 93 6 speed Aero in Virginia few weeks ago. Glacier Blue. Hot headed me, asked seller for more details, he said it has some engine issue, his mechanic says it's coil packs but he just spent $1000 on tires and brakes and doesn't want to load any more money into it. I asked him if I can drive it like that to Boston, he said there shouldn't be any issues.

My dad agreed to fly with me, so we would switch on a ride back.

Richmond Airport

I see this car upon arrival. It looked just like I expected it to look. Some scuffs, faded seals around windows. Big rip in the rear bumper. Price still justified the trip.

I start the car up, and it sounds normal. I go for a ride and it has the symptoms the seller was talking about. I think, no big deal, it'll make it.

I buy the car from him and drive towards Boston. Once I leave, I try to open the driver's window, it won't go down. Guy says the regulator is working, it must have slid from the pulleys. I have experience in replacing the window regulator so just meh'd it and drove away.

On a way back, after listening to the engine and trying to find some noises, I realized the radio is not working. All the buttons are lit, but the screen is off. I call the seller and he had no idea, as it was his company car. He promised to pay for the new radio though.

Anyways, I head toward Boston and more miles I was racking, the more concerned I was becoming about making it to Boston in one piece. To the point when I texted Saabeh to give me some name's in Virginia area. The name Harvey was called, so I got his number from Mike D. After talking to him over the phone, he told me to stop by his shop in Maryland and I headed that way.

We checked many things, soldered the infamous harness up and without an answer, I buckled up and headed to Boston once again, with hopes the car will make it.

While working on the car, I spotted Jessie Dineen's old 900se, that I last saw when I raced against it in my old GTO few years ago.

Eventually I got used to the rough ride and made it through NYC and got to CT:

I just love the way this car looks and I decided I'll fix it and make it look like new no matter what.

Finally, made it to Boston:

I dropped it off at my friend's shop:

After doing a smoke test, and multiple diagnostics, he found that:

Bigass air leak. He put a replacement on and car runs like new again.

Now, my goals are to do the following:

- suspension
Front spring is shot, due to high miles, I'm just going to get a new full suspension.
- shifter
whoever owned that car before, they messed up the shifter, and I'm going to get a new one now. In meantime, I'm going to install all the shifter goodies from GS as well.
- badge

AERo. It's missing an O. I don't know how it happened, but it did.

It has double three spoke wheels:

So that's it for now. Going to update the thread along the way.

Does anyone know how much is this front air dam worth? It's from Saab. I don't like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What do you mean front air dam? The spoiler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Elder

I'm not sure what to call it. The black plastic attaching thing on the hood to protect from rocks.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
I'm not sure what to call it. The black plastic attaching thing on the hood to protect from rocks.
My wagon had one on it when I got it. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me and now I actually like it a lot!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I like it, Rafal! I don't know that I've ever seen a glacier blue SS. Good find!
I'm amazed it made it 9 years with a perfect aero front lip, too!
Glad to hear it's a simple fix for the IC pipe. It's certainly an interesting break.

If it were me, I'd just pull the aero badge, and clean up the paint where it was.
I'm much happier without the badges on my wagon.

Hopefully the radio and windows are easy fixes.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
also, the stone guard...if you do a lot of highway driving, it's a must-have. My car had chips on the hood after <5k miles driving.
Since you're in the city, you could probably remove it.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Niceeeeeeeeeee.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
My wagon had one on it when I got it. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me and now I actually like it a lot!
I'll see about that. At this point it was connected with one screw so everytime the hood was opened, it was falling off. I'll check if I can find a way to attach it. What's the name of it though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
I like it, Rafal! I don't know that I've ever seen a glacier blue SS. Good find!
I'm amazed it made it 9 years with a perfect aero front lip, too!
Glad to hear it's a simple fix for the IC pipe. It's certainly an interesting break.

If it were me, I'd just pull the aero badge, and clean up the paint where it was.
I'm much happier without the badges on my wagon.

Hopefully the radio and windows are easy fixes.
Thanks. I think I'll get the badge out with the floss today. Going to pick up shifter from a salvage yard today, maybe they'll have an extra O somewhere, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
also, the stone guard...if you do a lot of highway driving, it's a must-have. My car had chips on the hood after <5k miles driving.
Since you're in the city, you could probably remove it.
Yeah, it'll be mostly city and occasionally highway. I'm on fence now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Niceeeeeeeeeee.
Thanks brah.

Going to remove inside door handles, sand them and plasti dip, me thinks. They are chipping a bit.

Found a mint 93ss bumper in Concord, NH. If anyone commutes from there, I can fund some gas money if anyone is planning on coming toward Boston sometime soon.

Then I'll have to get it painted eventually.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Elder

Installed some GS goodies and fixed the shifter. I'm guessing previous owner had his shifter knob pop up through the sunroof on a highway so I guess he ended up with this:

Then I proceeded to modifying the new shifter:

And eventually got the GS stuff on and assembled it all together:

Also installed the shifter cable reinforcement kit and it made a huuuuge difference.

Now I'm going to install the shifter mount kit from GS, for ultimate 6 speed driving experience [in a saab].

Now looking to get some suspension. I was thinking sport front shocks from Saab, rear KYB gas and saab sport springs on fronts and rears. total comes out to $420 shipped. It's better than $800 shipped for the Koni kit. I'm finding it hard to justify for a car I'm refusing to modify that much. KYB should do the trick I guess?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

For the inside door pulls, I used 3m carbon fiber wrap. It actually feels like carbon fiber texture wise and it won't wear off. Ill try to snap some photos later on.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice progress tico brohan.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in