Buying 2004 93 Aero. What should I know? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Buying 2004 93 Aero. What should I know?

I'm probably picking up a 2004 9-3 Aero. It looks good in and outside. Owner says it runs great and has no issues, or had any lights. No accidents and clear title.

It has over 120k miles. First thing I'm going to do is to change brakes, change oil, cabin filter and clean up the car.

I heard 2003 year was a disaster for 93ss, but what about 2004? What should I look at when checking the car out in person?

Also, should I drop the pan to clean it up?

It's a 6 speed. How's the clutch on these?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Most of the bugs were worked out by the end of the 2004 MY..

But the name "Aero" shouldn't applied to any of the 9-3s until 2006.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Elder

kbb says there are aero models for 2004.

also, it's glacier blue. I haven't seen one before. is that a rare color?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
kbb says there are aero models for 2004.
Mike meant that because until 2006 there was really no extra bump in power for the "Aero" models. I suppose they still got better styling and a sportier suspension, maybe better seats too? In 06 they got the more powerful V6.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
We put 70k+ on our '04 and it was pretty solid.

Front ends can clunk which wind up being endlinks or strut mounts.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Mike meant that because until 2006 there was really no extra bump in power for the "Aero" models. I suppose they still got better styling and a sportier suspension, maybe better seats too? In 06 they got the more powerful V6.
This....

They're listed at 210, but that's about the output in the underrated B205R 2002 9-3 SE. Supposedly the Aero got slightly stiffer springs than the Arc, but IIRC, the interior was basically the same.

The 6-speed tranny is money, tho...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Elder

Money as in awesome/worth it or costly/bitch to maintain?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #8

Money as in really beefy and able to handle gobs of torque...

Next time you're near the car, check the build date to see if it was later in the model year...
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
The 6mt in the Combi cries out for a short shifter. It's throws are long and ropy.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
No idea about the one you're looking at, but I've always been told to steer clear of pre-06 SS's for the reasons stated; Electrical and suspension issues.
Also, I'd save up the extra $$ and just buy myself a V6 Aero.

When I decide to sell the wagon, I'll likely end up in an SS, but it will be a 06+ V6
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Elder

I'm excited about the 6 speed. I don't think I'll be doing short shifter, unless I find it for cheap. Seller offered to do inspection before I go to pick it up, I asked him to do synthetic oil change and to top off the fluids. Hopefully I'll be back in a Saab on Saturday.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I've only heard 03 is the year to avoid (or maybe early 04 too as Mike stated). The lady was in the market last year and we talked fairly in depth with our indy about what to look out for.

We ended up keeping her OG9-3 rolling
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Elder

Mechanic said coil packs will need replacement soon. Otherwise car is mint.

Booked flight. Come Saturday ill have a Saab.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My fiancé has an 04 aero 6 spd. The aeros did get an interior treatment and different bumper skirts and side skirts. I had to put a trans in be ause the po put a spec shit clutch set up in the car and didn't fill the trans back up afterwards. After that we fixed a bunch of little stuff, still need to refine the suspension (hoping coilovers)

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Elder

Found a set of new coilpacks confirmed by SC to be perfect fit for $180. Going to get spark plugs and new pads next week too. That is if I end up buying it tomorrow.

It has 3 spoke double wheels on now. Hopefully not curbed much.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Elder

Alrighty!

So I picked up the car, just like seller warned me, it had choppy idle but good on a hwy. I liked it all and drove up north from Richmond, VA.

50 miles into the road it got pretty bad. The car wouldn't accelerate, it would drop idle and it stalled few times with foot on clutch. I texted saabeh if he knows anyone in the area. He said Harvey and through Mike D, I get in touch with the guy. (as I'm typing it, I just saw a silver 5 door viggen on a side of the highway on MD/DE border).

So Harvey tells me to stop by his shop.

I can't put in words how helpful he is. I mean he went above and beyond to help me. Even though we didnt the cause of boost leak, he went through every possible issue.

We checked:
- maf
- coil packs
- pressure in all hoses
- cleaned throttle body

I realized my car was early 2004 so all 2003 issues still applied to it.

So Harvey proceeded with fixing the harness and the infamous super glueing double wires. That unfortunately didnt fix the problem, but definitely prevented something bad happening in the future.

so I'm heading back to Boston now. Harvey suggested I should try marrying a new PCM and replacing all the coils. My friend happens to have a set of 4 new ones, so I hope that will fix the problem.

Fun part is, after 50 miles or so, even though barely any boost, it doesn't choke anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in