TurboX,V6 aero or neither? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

TurboX,V6 aero or neither?

So,i am a long time T5 and T7 owner..,love them and breath them lol,
but lately i've been having this itch to buy another saab and a second viggen was the first option,but since i heard about the crazy power that the V6 engine makes i started thinking about going that direction. My question is,how reliable is a turbox AWD system and is it true that there's long waiting list for awd related parts,if i can't find a 6speed manual should i just give up altogether or is the automatic okay on these things?also does the auto hold power in case i want to build it,what are the common problems on these cars and finally should i just go for an Aero V6 vs. the Turbo X. Thanks guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

XWD seems to be hit or miss, some people have constant issues, some are trouble free. There's enough issues out there that I would personally stay away from it. If you're planning on building power I'd skip the auto and go for the manual. While the auto does seem pretty stout, the manual is just going to hold up better over the long haul.

Common problems seem to just be the coils packs causing problems and a fuel pressure codes which they've found to be a failing MAP sensor.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
20k on our tuned XWD and so far no problems aside from the need to upgrade to a Forge BPV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I want to buy a 2006 V6 Aero 6spd quite badly, but the questionable reliability keeps me wanting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I want to buy a 2006 V6 Aero 6spd quite badly, but the questionable reliability keeps me wanting.
I really like the idea of the V6 only combined with XWD. I was so used to Saabs and wheelspin, it's so nice to have a tuned one where you can stomp the throttle even while turning and just GO.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
My daughter's looking at '06 to '09 9-3 Aeros. What should she look out for?

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
My sister has had a 2006 9-3 Aero 6 speed for almost two years without a single problem. Besides a bad evap valve, basic maintenance brakes, oil changes....

It had a broken front spring before she bought it, but Saab fixed it for free before she picked it up(Saab recall) Also I just rebuilt her front struts(new mounts/struts/etc.) Apparently the previous owner had been driving it with the broken spring and it put quite a load on the driver's side strut so I just replaced the pair.

At 110k with only one real problem it is a great car..just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Elder

everyone raves about the Aeros with that V6 but i love my 2.0T. with a tune and a couple bolt ons they can really pull too. and they can also get great MPG.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
everyone raves about the Aeros with that V6 but i love my 2.0T. with a tune and a couple bolt ons they can really pull too. and they can also get great MPG.
As long as you don't have any auto trans..My ex-gf blew hers up coolant leaked into the trans. I do agree on the gas mileage though.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

As far as reliability goes my 9-3 2.8 has been pretty good. The worst was the rear main seal going around 35k but from talking with the dealer that has been the only time one has gone bad for them. Engine related the coil packs and bad evap purge valve have been it for me. The rest of the issues are due to the normal 9-3 issues.

Plastics under the hood are shot due to the heat and it's common for a battery to only last two years again due to heat. MPGs are quite varied, I get 18-22 in town and 25-32 on the highway. It's heavily dependent on the terrain and your foot. The torque it produces is more than worth the extra cost at the pump when tuned.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwertz View Post
As long as you don't have any auto trans..My ex-gf blew hers up coolant leaked into the trans. I do agree on the gas mileage though.
We had an '04 for the wife that went from 29k to 105k on it's 5spd auto with no issues.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
We had an '04 for the wife that went from 29k to 105k on it's 5spd auto with no issues.
I'm on the 5 spd auto as well. as long as you dont use the manual mode too hard or smack on the torque from stopped you should be good.

mines tuned and great. its got a little lower TQ than manual stg 1 tune to save the tranny but they seem pretty solid.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
As for the auto trans with the coolant issue... Went from 47k to 196k on our '04 2.0T CV with no issues. Just keep up on trans fluid flushing (every 50ish k) and you should be fine.

I personally think I may take the dive into a V6 9-3 for my next car... I've always wanted one since we drove a Turbo X and a '09 Aero AWD before we bought my wife's 10... They're a blast to drive, and stock for stock... No comparison.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Let's just say that my ex was...not easy on her cars. She beat on that poor car all through college.

It threw a NSS code, and I swapped in a good one and it still won't shift right. It keeps jumping into limp mode. They just want to wash their hands of it.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

We now have 2 Aero V6's and love them... although considering selling mine in favor of something rwd to play with. Things are tight under the hood but manageable.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Hey guys,all the info so far has been great...keep on coming please lol
I found a turbo x wagon at a reputable dealer near my house with 40K however automatic...it seems like its easier to find an Aero in 6speed manual than the X,
ill go check this one out and ill update. thanks again.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania113h View Post
Hey guys,all the info so far has been great...keep on coming please lol
I found a turbo x wagon at a reputable dealer near my house with 40K however automatic...it seems like its easier to find an Aero in 6speed manual than the X,
ill go check this one out and ill update. thanks again.
Buy. It. Now!!!

I want a Turbo X Sportcombi like nobody's business, however I want to find a M6 (impossible to find).

Luckily I'm not in a position where I have to buy a car right now, so I'll wait until I find what I want.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
TSLMember

Most of the "X" issues like the seals were taken care of under a recall as were the coolant tank that would crack. Check with what is left of the dealerships and find a GM but former Saab dealer and ask them to run the VIN. Some things will show up on Carfax. If you get an XWD Aero it probably has the same motor as the Turbo X. I've had mostly manual transmissions in my cars but changed up with this one. With the Aero 6 speed automatic you get to play with the paddles to shift up and down. I don't miss the sticks at all and the gear spacing seems right. With another car I have, it was more of (a bit of) an error but the Saab is quite pleasant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in