9-3 2005 automatic key won't budge after jump start - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 AM  
TSLMember

9-3 2005 automatic key won't budge after jump start

attempted to jump start after low battery, was unsuccessful, key wouldn't budge to turn, neighbor jiggled something and key turned, but didn't jump start...then it happened again, again now key won't budge...i have wiggled and jiggled steering wheel, no "click" when you put the fob key in ignition, checked 1 & 2 fuse next to drivers door, and also one in engine #2, all fine...car is parked nose in, so towing isn't going to help, bought new battery, installed and still nothing, remote on key works to unlock, won't lock with remote lock, interior lights work when you take key out, have pulled negative off terminal, waited, placed key in without turning hoping to reset, taken key out and re-inputted in several times, turned wheels both ways, my steering column is unlocked, cant budge the gear shifter, cleaned ignition with alcohol, .....next to the positive terminal, i don't have a "relay" i only have coming from the positive terminal, two posts, other than the connector to the positive terminal, one of those posts have nothing and the other gets connected to the fusebox thats right next to the battery, all connections are crystal clean, i have a round black button, which i think is a "reset" button, and have pushed that and pulled that till i'm blue in the face, still nothing.....any suggestions?....i'm a single mom, and can't afford to have it towed, and a saab dealer is about 100+miles away....i can't afford to have it towed to a local shop only to have them guess and replace stuff that doesn't need to be fixed....can anyone help? i'm gonna try jumping it again with the new battery right now, so if anyone is online and out there with any suggestions, i'm all ears...thanks a million
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 AM  
Elder

was the alarm disabled/disarmed when you swapped the battery? because if it wasnt you may have tripped the immobilizer making the car impossible to start without proper resetting of alarm.

thats the only thing i can think of if all other electronics work just the car wont start.

also when trying to turn the key in these cars you sometimes have to push them down pretty firmly while turning.

as far as the gear shift lever. you should be able to turn the key to the "ON" position and then push on the brake pedal if its an automatic and move it. car doesnt need to run for this IIRC.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 AM  
TSLMember

hi, what is IIRC?...sorry

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM  
Elder

so the only things that work are the things that work even without the key?

if the key wont turn at all try pushing down on it as you turn it. IIRC my 2008 9-3 has the same key fob dealio yours does and i have had to push down pretty hard and then turn it. the odd thing is your steering wheel being unlocked. if the key is in the off position the steering wheel should be locked. something may be broken with the ignition lock.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 AM  
TSLMember

i think the only thing that works is the unlock of remote, but when you take the key out of ignition, the interior lights turn on,....I don't know what IIRC is, and i have pushed hard on the key, i just don't want to bust anything,.....i think the steering is unlocked, because i can turn the steering wheel both ways,
i just can't get the key to turn....but like i said, my neighbor jiggled something(of course he's older and can't remember what it was that he jiggled) and it turned to on and start position).....
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM  
TSLMember

give me about 10 minutes, i'm going outside to try jump starting it with the new battery, perhaps the new battery is on low charge? not sure thank you so much for your quick reply...i SO APPRECIATE IT...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM  
Elder

a low charge on the battery shouldnt effect the key turning.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

but let us know.

hoping someone else with more 9-3 Sport Sedan knowledge can jump in.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Are you sure the steering wheel isn't locked? This is the same thing that happened with our '04 one time. I couldn't get the key to buge. Then I held the steering wheel to the right (I think) and put the key in and turned it.

It didn't happen after the battery died or anything like that. I've never had an issue with a dead battery connected to the key not turning. Is the battery in the key dead possibly? What it sounds like is that it's not reading the key correctly.

When you put the key fob in the ignition do you hear a clicking type noise from the steering column?
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM  
TSLMember

hi, sorry been at work...i can't find my spare key, but if the ignition isn't reading the key and the "key battery" was dead, so to speak wouldn't the lock and unlock feature not work on the fob key?...
and when i put the fob key in the ignition, i get no clicking type noise, from the steering column, whereas i usually do when put my key in.....i'm not sure about the steering column, all i know is that i can move my wheels both ways, almost the turning the steering wheel 3/4 of the way around...
i tried jumping, thinking perhaps they sold me a new battery that was low on "charge" but that didn't work....i'm looking for any solutions.....
Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM  
SAABeginner

I personally have no idea, but did see this elsewhere and it might be worth a shot - or at least give you something to do until someone who actually knows answers!

"take the key out of the switch..unhook the neg term off the battery for 5 mins..

reconnect batt,insert key in switch don't try to turn leave in about 10 secs allowing the key to resync to the car..remove key for about 5 secs,reinsert key it should now turn.. "

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM  
TSLMember

thanks, i've done that quite a few times, even did the same with the positive terminal, hoping that either one would work....
i just have a gut feeling it's something simple, only because it did it, then, got "unstuck" and then got stuck again....
but thanks so much for your input
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM  
Avid TSL User

Maybe a steering wheel lock problem?
Try jerking the wheel a couple of times, then put the key back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM  
Avid TSL User

Battery in the key doesn't matter for starting the car. Mine starts without a battery in the fob at all.

If you can turn your wheel 3/4 of the way around, then your steering wheel lock isn't engaging. Stick your finger in the ignition hole. Does the spring loaded bottom pop up an down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM  
TSLMember

yup
still not budging
i've taken the top of the shifter off, so i can push the yellow button down, and then i can move the shift gear, and still nothing...i've even jumped up and rock the stupid thing....
but i just found a link...and hope i can study it and figure it out...everyone seems to have a "yellow button near the positive terminal" which is supposed to be a reset button, but i have black one, and it doesn't look like any of the images i've seen so far...i have an 2005 9-3 2.0t automatic 5speed...
so heres the link, i'm not tech savy so i just cut and copied the webaddress, and hopefully that gets people to the page i'm looking at ....let me know if you have the time to understand it
ps thanks for answering my post ....I SO appreciate it....i'm a single mom and a full time nursing student...and have borrowed a car for a couple of days from a friend that was sick....but had to return it today....so i'm without wheels...not a pretty picture...luckily, my new semester doesn't start till jan 27th

anyways heres the link: Bus and diagnostics communication - Saab 9-3 (2003-2006)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM  
TSLMember

can i ask what does TSL mean?
and yes i jumped up and down, forced the key in, pulled it out....basically did everything to this stupid thing, other than give it a kick in it's _ss
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM  
TSLMember

possible solution...if you can understand what it means

hey guys...just found this link, bear with me, i'm not tech savy, but hopefully it might help understand the dynamics of the saab communication system....if anyone can understand and explain it to me, hopefully i can fix my car....

Bus and diagnostics communication - Saab 9-3 (2003-2006)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM  
Avid TSL User

TSL - The Saab Link

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM  
SAABeginner

Looking around online it appears your problem isn't unheard of. Anyway, I found two separate accounts that recommended cleaning the key hole. One 2005 9-3 owner said he used cotton swabs and alcohol and it fixed the problem. Might be worth a shot...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM  
TSLMember

do you have any idea as to why my posts are being deleted???????
all i'm trying to do is figure out why my key won't work, yet someone keeps deleting my posts
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM  
Site Moderator

lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in