What are the pros of getting winter tires? First MN winter driving a car in general. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
SAABeginner

What are the pros of getting winter tires? First MN winter driving a car in general.

This is my first Saab ever and I got it this summer. Have loved it and will probably only ever buy Saabs from here on out. But before I drove my Saab I drove little SUV, a Mercury Mariner with all wheel drive. Today, was the first snowfall, enough to make the roads slippery and I did not like sliding everywhere. I have guy friends who drive Saabs who tell me to go get winter tires. Was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful advice about the pros and what difference it makes compared to my all season tires. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
Usually winter tires are gotten in a narrower thread width so that they dig down through the snow better and get to the road. The compound is a lot softer/pliable at cold temperatures than the compounds used in summer and all seasons. As such, they get eaten up quickly at higher temps. They also have deeper thread blocks and siping that help "paddle" through snow better. Sometimes the are holes drilled in them for metal studs as well, although not always legal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins8990 View Post
Usually winter tires are gotten in a narrower thread width so that they dig down through the snow better and get to the road. The compound is a lot softer/pliable at cold temperatures than the compounds used in summer and all seasons. As such, they get eaten up quickly at higher temps. They also have deeper thread blocks and siping that help "paddle" through snow better. Sometimes the are holes drilled in them for metal studs as well, although not always legal.
This x 1000.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Get 'em taller too.......my ng900 does good with 215/65-16 studded Nokia Hakka's

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think it depends on your climate. I have been using Bridgestone blizzak's I think ws60/70 are the models. Excellent traction, much better then my awd jeep wrangler which has a snowplow on it and my Yukon xl which is also awd. Snow/ice grip is amazing, however when the roads are dry the tires like stated wear out much quicker. I get 3 or so seasons out of my set of winter tires.

Due to being in Ohio I might go with something like the Nokian all weather + due to not much snow. We use the older version of this on the wife's minivan..... Works great.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Elder

Get some snows. I had a few sets while I was going to school in Chicago and frequently drove up to WI or MN in the winter to see girlfriend's family, my C900 with a good set of Blizzaks would crawl out of anything, much much less sliding around.

They also give extremely good grip in the late winter/early spring rain that the midwest gets. I could accelerate full throttle in a downpour in my brother's 9000 Aero with snows at ~40F ambient temp.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I spent my first winter with my 9-3SS on regular all season and it was awful. With snows I'm out running with the 4x4s. Snag some Blizzaks. I got a set of used (although new looking) Nittos off Craigslist and they are awful in the wet.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
If you live where there is snow, get a set of snow tires. I'm a firm believer of having a dedicated set of summer tires and a dedicated set of snow tires, you won't be disappointed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in