equivalents to 2008 9-3 aero 6spd? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
SAABeginner

equivalents to 2008 9-3 aero 6spd?

Hi, I'm looking at a 08 6spd aero 4door and love the way it drives. Before buying though I thought I'd try to find out what it's closest competitors would have been in 08 from BMW, Audi, VW etc. I'm not really interested in the Japanese cars.

Can anyone suggest what else I should drive?

Thanks...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
You would want to drive an BMW 335XI(much better driving car, but nearly $10k more money).

Audi, you can either try an S4(bad on gas, would want a warranty, and again, closer to $30k used). The Audi with a 2.0T is nice, but only comes alive with tuning, might be worth a drive though.

You might want to give the VW CC a drive. I had a tuned 2.0T 6mt and it was quite quick. '09's are under $20k today. I sold mine for $15k with 53k miles.

I would also look at an 08-09 Legacy GT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
You would want to drive an BMW 335XI(much better driving car, but nearly $10k more money)...
Thanks for the help. It sort of looks like I could not touch the Saab for the money? Still, I may test drive some of those.

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASaab View Post
Thanks for the help. It sort of looks like I could not touch the Saab for the money? Still, I may test drive some of those.

Thanks again.
To be honest, the Saab is dated.

I say that after buying a few of them and having other cars to compare.

My CC felt 5 years more modern than our '11 9-3. Its roots are showing, it is a car from '03, no matter what they do it.

However, the bang for the buck of a Saab is hard to touch.

BUT, there are much better driving and put together cars out there. How much extra are you will to pay for that though?

If our '11 was not bought for half price I would not touch a Saab. Sorry. Just being honest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Ditto on the CC. I rented 2011 base models of both the CC and the 9-3 back to back and the CC killed the Saab in every way -- except for the asinine rear seat.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
If our '11 was not bought for half price I would not touch a Saab. Sorry. Just being honest.
x2.

i love saab but at this point they are way behind. the biggest plus is the price for features. you cant find anything close in the price range
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
SAABeginner

to clarify..

So, basically unless I spend another 6-10k I won't find a better car. Is that what you guys are saying?

For instance, what if I compared something like a Golf GTI to the saab aero. I think they would be around the same price and in that case would the Saab be the better choice?

I AM trying to be cheap.. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
So, basically unless I spend another 6-10k I won't find a better car. Is that what you guys are saying?

For instance, what if I compared something like a Golf GTI to the saab aero. I think they would be around the same price and in that case would the Saab be the better choice?

08.5gti has the TSI which is a great engine. Better interior and better handling. Just dont like VWs after 50k miles.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Not really. The only reason the Saab is a decent value is because of the massive depreciation and bargain basement resale value. That's why many of us bought them in the first place.

Quote:

Best bet would be to figure out your ideal range, and preferred body style, and then shop within that. It's almost impossible to give you some of the help you seek because we don;t know what you need or want in a car.

For instance, yes, the GTI looks good on paper, but what if you actually need to transport stuff? Are you ok with simple maintenance, or will you bringing the car into a shop for everything bigger than an oil change? Etc....
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Honestly dollar for dollar Saabs are one of the best values out there. Before buying my wife's '10 9-3 we looked at Jetta, Passat, Eos, Mini, A4, C300, G35, 335... I could go on and on.

We couldn't find a better value dollar for dollar than the 9-3.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Elder

Do you want something this new? Because honestly there is a LOT of car that $12-$15k will buy you.

I would be looking seriously at E39 M5's if I was looking for cars in that price range and performance category. Or save $2-$6k and get an E36 M3.

Friends don't let friends buy Audis.

Ditto for VW if you want to keep it more than a few years and not pull all your hair out. Even the new ones have serious issues with fit and finish in the interior. A co-worker drives a 2012 Jetta wagon with a manual gearbox, and it's nice.... but not nice enough to justify making payments on it for 4 more years.

That being said, I really do like driving 9-3SS Aero's with the 6-speed, and '08 was a good year, got the style upgrade, the good stereo and climate controls, AUX input right on the dash for iAppleFanPods and such, most of the weird kinks got worked out.

Wherarbouts in CA you live and your access to a good mechanic who has the right diagnostic equipment to address issues with the car might be a deal breaker.

Where do you live?

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Do you want something this new?

Wherarbouts in CA you live and your access to a good mechanic who has the right diagnostic equipment to address issues with the car might be a deal breaker.

Where do you live?
Hi, I'm in in the East Bay, San Francisco/Oakland. Do you know of any particularly great Saab mechanics around here?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
It's almost impossible to give you some of the help you seek because we don;t know what you need or want in a car.

For instance, yes, the GTI looks good on paper, but what if you actually need to transport stuff? Are you ok with simple maintenance, or will you bringing the car into a shop for everything bigger than an oil change? Etc....
No worries, actually everyone has given me more help than they know. As far as type of car, I'm pretty flexible. Hatchback, Sedan, Wagon are all ok. I don't "need" to transport stuff 95% of the time. I own a 08 9-3 sportcombi automatic, but what started this whole thing was that I was thinking about trading up to a 9-5 or a 9-3 aero. I'm very happy with the Saab I have other than I'd like to have a manual and a bit more performance. To be honest I think I'd be happy with a base 9-5 with manual or the 9-3 aero with manual.

Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I should look at other brands as well but from everything mentioned here they all look more expensive than the range I'd like to be in (around 15-16k).

I will say this...the seats in the 9-5 blew me away. They were a lot nicer than the ones in my 9-3. I was comparing the same year in both cars. I have been told that the 9-5 isn't considered as reliable as the 9-3 though. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I NEVER see later 9-5's on the market which makes me think people are just stuck with them because the depreciation is too high or they love them and keep them forever.

I guess I've gone way off the original topic here, but thanks to everyone for your comments.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
No worries, actually everyone has given me more help than they know. As far as type of car, I'm pretty flexible. Hatchback, Sedan, Wagon are all ok. I don't "need" to transport stuff 95% of the time. I own a 08 9-3 sportcombi automatic, but what started this whole thing was that I was thinking about trading up to a 9-5 or a 9-3 aero. I'm very happy with the Saab I have other than I'd like to have a manual and a bit more performance. To be honest I think I'd be happy with a base 9-5 with manual or the 9-3 aero with manual.

Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I should look at other brands as well but from everything mentioned here they all look more expensive than the range I'd like to be in (around 15-16k).

I will say this...the seats in the 9-5 blew me away. They were a lot nicer than the ones in my 9-3. I was comparing the same year in both cars. I have been told that the 9-5 isn't considered as reliable as the 9-3 though. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I NEVER see later 9-5's on the market which makes me think people are just stuck with them because the depreciation is too high or they love them and keep them forever.

I guess I've gone way off the original topic here, but thanks to everyone for your comments.
Drive a 2.0T 6mt CC. Make sure it has a warranty(CPO) and drive it as long as you have a warranty and do a basic APR stage 1 and be set. Would you believe stage 2 GTI's are 13 second cars? The CC is 180lbs heavier than the 5dr GTI and weights the same as the GLI. I averaged 30+ and could get 600 miles on a tank. Only reason I sold the CC was post warranty reliability. CC has great bang for the buck, rides and features of a $50k car.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
I have been told that the 9-5 isn't considered as reliable as the 9-3 though. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I NEVER see later 9-5's on the market which makes me think people are just stuck with them because the depreciation is too high or they love them and keep them forever.
I'm not sure what you mean by later 9-5s, but I can speak for myself being the owner of a '07 9-5 Aero. I actually contemplated trading the car in on an SUV, which would have been better for... Well just about everything I do. I do a bit of towing, hauling stuff around, people mover, etc...

The problem is that I've been spoiled by the options my 9-5 has. Mine is LOADED (navi, htd/cooled seats, htd rear seat, park assist, etc, etc) and it's hard finding another vehicle that's optioned that well. The other problem is that everytime I drive my 9-5 it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.

Now I didn't buy it new, I bought it used so the depreciation factor wasn't as bad. Did it depreciate? Yes. Coming from the auto industry I can tell you that ANYTHING you buy is going to depreciate. Saabs just tend to depreciate faster within the first couple of years. After that it's not as bad.

With 95k on the clock, I can say that I haven't had any issues yet. And this includes all of the towing I do (I've towed 3 cars home with it, total of over 300 miles plus I've towed many trailers full of things).

Thus far I can say that my '07 9-5 has been every bit as reliable as my wife's old '04 9-3 which she drive to nearly 200k before trading it on her '10 9-3.

EDIT: I haven't had any MAJOR issues that left me stranded.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.

Last edited by Slow Joe; 11-06-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
CC has great bang for the buck, rides and features of a $50k car.
Jameson, how do you think a Passat would compare to the CC. The CC is great, but has a funny looking back (probably a small trunk) and a silly back seat.

I don't really understand what it was designed for. Is it supposed to be more premium than the Passat, for example? I still wish they could make a Passat wagon with a TDI, or nice turbo gas motor.

We have a '00 Jetta 2.0 now with high miles and I agree, it is horrible in almost every category. It is just a very poorly designed car. I'd love to sell it and my 9-5 and get something nicer (&younger)!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yea, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in my wife's 08 wagon. It's a solid car, and it's got great power, but everything else just feels dated. My only concern with VW is reliability - I looked at CC's, Jetta/Passat TDIs, and GTIs when searching for a new car, but in the end I didn't quite feel like I was getting enough for my money. That said, they're very solid-feeling cars; I'd take one any day over just about anything from Japan.

Have you considered a newer Fusion? I've always been a fan...a little beige but a great value overall.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
We couldn't find a better value dollar for dollar than the 9-3.
New to new, the CC has better interior (minus the stupid rear seat), vastly better audio and phone integration, standard touch screen, and better handling. (Yeah, I know. I was surprised too.) The kicker was that the MSRP on the CC was actually priced less than the MSRP of the comparable 9-3SS, but that was before the deep Saab discounting after the assembly lines stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe
I'm not sure what you mean by later 9-5s, but I can speak for myself being the owner of a '07 9-5 Aero. I actually contemplated trading the car in on an SUV, which would have been better for... Well just about everything I do. I do a bit of towing, hauling stuff around, people mover, etc...

The problem is that I've been spoiled by the options my 9-5 has. Mine is LOADED (navi, htd/cooled seats, htd rear seat, park assist, etc, etc) and it's hard finding another vehicle that's optioned that well. The other problem is that everytime I drive my 9-5 it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.
+1.....The 9-5 is an absolute bargain when matched against nearly any competitor. The interior is great, and the seats on the 04+ 9-5 Aero are like having your ass cupped by the hands of an angel. Lots of power, very reliable when maintained properly, and still pretty stylish even with a "dated" body shell.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Jameson, how do you think a Passat would compare to the CC. The CC is great, but has a funny looking back (probably a small trunk) and a silly back seat.

I don't really understand what it was designed for. Is it supposed to be more premium than the Passat, for example? I still wish they could make a Passat wagon with a TDI, or nice turbo gas motor.

We have a '00 Jetta 2.0 now with high miles and I agree, it is horrible in almost every category. It is just a very poorly designed car. I'd love to sell it and my 9-5 and get something nicer (&younger)!
Which Passat? The new one or the B6?

The B6 and the CC have a lot in common. The CC looks a lot better and drives a bit more sporting.

The rear seat is great, rear buckets, plenty of room. If you need a 5 seater, it can be a deal breaker('13 CC is a 5 seater now).

The trunk is plenty big, bigger than the 9-3.

It was designed to be a sleeker sedan, just the way the E-class became the CLS, same concept. At the time, the CC was not a price premium over the Passat.

When the Passat was redone to become the B7 the base price was lowered $8k. That made the CC look more premium. The B7 does not have the same build quality as the CC, nor should it when it now starts at $20k. It's a good Accord and Camry competitor. The CC feels more special and competes with the Acura TSX/Regal GS, and can be optioned into 3 series/a4 territory. But CC gives the best bang for the buck lightly optioned. My standard car had no options but came with dual power heated 12 way seats with memory, rain sensing wipers, auto dimm mirror, etc etc. It's crazy loaded.

Like I said, a tuned manual CC is a GREAT car. I got tons of compliments on it. I just did not like the idea of owning it out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
New to new, the CC has better interior (minus the stupid rear seat), vastly better audio and phone integration, standard touch screen, and better handling. (Yeah, I know. I was surprised too.) The kicker was that the MSRP on the CC was actually priced less than the MSRP of the comparable 9-3SS, but that was before the deep Saab discounting after the assembly lines stopped.

My CC had a $29k sticker and after some wheelin' dealin' I walked out with the car at $23,500 in '09. I scored my Dad's $34k '08 9-3 for $24k a year before.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
SAABeginner

Drove a CC sport today..

Ok, drove a 2010 mt 6spd and have pretty mixed feelings about it as compared to my 08 Saab 9-3 and other Saabs I've driven. The CC had more low frequency road noise. The interior felt more echoey and, japanese like. Reminded me of my old Mazda 3. It DID suck up potholes at low speeds better than my Saab.

Seats..this is a tough one. I was in the car for about 30-45 mins driving and I kept adjusting the seat. It never felt "right". This was the seat with the lumbar massage etc. I got it to a point where it seemed ok, but I have serious concerns about whether it is something that would make me hate the car. Google search CC seats uncomfortable and there are lots of people with issues with them.

Power and transmission. Nothing wrong with the power in the 4cyl, felt faster than my 2.0t automatic saab. On the other hand, the engine sounded tinny to me, even more so than my Saab which isn't a particularly great sounding engine.. The manual shift in the CC was fine. I didn't like that the steering felt like WAY too much power assist..felt very little road feel. There is nothing really wrong with it, the car handles fine and sticks in the turns, it's just the steering didn't feel "fun".

It is an easier car to drive than my Saab though. What I mean by this is that everything feels "lighter". Some may like that, some may hate it..I'm not sure where I stand on this as I'm so used to the Saab. One other note, the brake pedal is MUCH more touchy than my 9-3. I really like the 9-3 pedal, feels more modulated to me. The brakes in the CC are super touchy, just like my old Mazda 3.

Visibility, driving position and beltline. I prefer the higher more panoramic view of the Saabs. The CC feels "sunk down" inside. It's not terrible and I'm pretty sure I'd get used to it, but it's a totally different driving experience.

Rattles!! The car had rattles. I was surprised as this was a 2010 with 20k miles.

Back seat doesn't fold down??? I read this somewhere, which if it's true could be a show stopper. Why wouldn't they fold down?

Anyway, just thought I'd update this thread. It may sound like I didn't like the CC, to the contrary I DID like a lot about it. I'm someone that is overly picky about seat comfort and road noise though and with the saab's I had no concerns..with the CC it would take a few more test drives to really know. I'm pretty concerned about the fact that I had to keep adjusting the seats as they never really felt right.

One more thing. The car said it had the "premium" sound system but I thought it sounded like crap. This really surprised me. This is because other VW's I've been in always had surprisingly good stereo's. The one in the CC just had a cheap sound to it. I spent about 10 mins trying to find out how to adjust the eq and GAVE UP. It's a touch screen interface and I couldn't see any way to adjust it. So, it may have sounded much better when eq'd up. My 9-3 has the regular stereo, which I think is "mediocre" but the CC sounded more mushy. This could also be attributed to what I mentioned earlier, that the inside of the CC sounded more echoey than the 9-3.

Last edited by CASaab; 11-10-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention sound system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in