To SAAB or Not to SAAB ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

To SAAB or Not to SAAB ?

That is the question that I am asking for my Older brother who does not have any previous experience with SAAB and does not want a car with problems that is hard to fix at any local shop.
He lives in Calgary Alberta. He is looking for a reliable car in the 15k. . In the beginning I tried to make him stay away from SAAB due to the obvious current service and parts issues, but quickly after a bit of research on what cars are available in his budget, I ended doing the opposite and sending him links to SAAB's for sale. He is looking at Subaru Legacy Spec B. or a Subaru Forster turbo gt or something. he wants a car with less than 40k miles that is 4 wheel drive, comfortable for loooooong drives. So here is the car we found for him 2008 Saab 9-3X Aero

I really don't know much about how reliable these cars are. I know that in 03-06 9-3SS had so many programming issues and few mechanical recalls. I mean almost every module on these car needed to be reprogrammed or re-calibrated more than once. I am wondering if it is the same with 08 or did they fix all these bugs by then. I am also wondering about parts and service for these cars. especially in Calgary.
What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Elder

39k miles, $15,000.

AWD
Hauls serious ass
Easy to work on as an S-10.

Unorthodox pick for someone looking for a sporty AWD, but tell him to not be a pussy. Everyone wants an SUV that goes like a Corvette but handles and stops like a shopping cart.

GMC : Jimmy 2dr Typhoon in GMC | eBay Motors
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

My choice

Can't be any harder to find a shop to work on it, then a Saab. Not sure what the laws between BC and Alberta are but, god damn I want that car!

Edit: Still drooling

Last edited by SAABOOST; 09-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Never had any reprogramming issues with our 04, nor have we with our 10. Just remember just about any GM store should be able to fix a programming issue since all you need is a tech 2. That doesn't keen they would touch it. just in theory they should be able to fix it.

Personally I would go for the Saab. I love the Aero XWDs with the V6. They are a blast to drive
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

I couldn't agree more... I want that thing too. I will ask him to by this and drive it to me and take the Viggen back
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABOOST View Post
My choice

Can't be any harder to find a shop to work on it, then a Saab. Not sure what the laws between BC and Alberta are but, god damn I want that car!

Edit: Still drooling
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Never had any reprogramming issues with our 04, nor have we with our 10. Just remember just about any GM store should be able to fix a programming issue since all you need is a tech 2. That doesn't keen they would touch it. just in theory they should be able to fix it.

Personally I would go for the Saab. I love the Aero XWDs with the V6. They are a blast to drive
good point and is worth a bit research. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900AERO View Post
good point and is worth a bit research. Thank you.
No problem. Have you driven a 9-3X Aero with the 2.8 Turbo V6?

We looked at one for my wife before buying her '10. LOVED IT. Unfortunately she drives 50k miles/year so the gas mileage on the 2.0T was a necessity.

Just so you know. We have 60k on our '10, no issues to speak of. Other than a heat sheild rattle.

Our '04 had 196k when we traded it in (we bought it with 45k). Nothing out of the ordinary went wrong with that one either. It was all normal wear parts (plugs, serp belts, brakes, etc, etc...)

Both are 2.0T FWD cars.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Unorthodox pick for someone looking for a sporty AWD, but tell him to not be a pussy.
I agree. The most important thing you can do is to tell him not to be a pussy.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

what is the latest on parts availability for a 2008 turbox. or aeroX and how are the SAAB indy shops keeping up with things like security access etc for programming modules etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
what is the latest on parts availability for a 2008 turbox. or aeroX and how are the SAAB indy shops keeping up with things like security access etc for programming modules etc.
Well we just had an insurance claim on our '10 9-3 2.0T where we needed some strange parts (door pannel, door handle, outside window trim, inside window trim...) and the lead time was 2 weeks. I'd assume that most of the parts are available now...

Minus owners manuals, I'm still working on finding one of those... However for '09 and older those are way easier to get than for a '10.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
gdc
SAAB Road Master

why would you want a typhoon /cyclone thing , early 90's s10 were about as ugly as a car has ever been , and more chevy shit than i can step in, besides the fact that it hauls ass there are no redeeming qualities about those trucks. but that is just my opinion , buy a lightning if your gonna go truck
Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #12

bump
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
SAABeginner

I haven't left a post on here for almost a year now but felt I needed to in this thread. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a Saab in Calgary. Any repairs will give you nothing but headaches. PM me for more info.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabhutter View Post
I haven't left a post on here for almost a year now but felt I needed to in this thread. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a Saab in Calgary. Any repairs will give you nothing but headaches. PM me for more info.
Copy that.. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
SAABeginner

Quote:
Copy that.. Thanks for the advice.
No prob! PM replied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in