How are early SS's holding up with age/mileage? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Elder

How are early SS's holding up with age/mileage?

Let's talk 03-04 5spd's. How are they doing with 100k? 150k? What should one look out for on one of these with high miles?

Especially 2003's. What kind of first year problems do these have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i heard the 03's were terrible. I heard they had alot of first year issues especially with the wiring.

cant remember exactly what the issues were.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Elder

I've also heard that 03's are shit, but can't really find much info on why they're shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

I've got an 03 that I love. It's a 6-speed though, and the transmissions are crap. The only electrical problem I have is that OnStar failed somehow and the SID tells me everytime I start the car. I don't use the service so I don't care about bringing it in to get fixed.

There's also the problem with the resistance sensors in the window motors being too sensitive and not letting me close them when I want, but that's not just limited to the 03's.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

SAI Air pump failure is common & expensive on 03's only east of the Missisippi. Condensation fills the first model year only air pump up with water & it fails. I would Imagine most if not all o3's have had an a SAI pump replacement by now. The pump came back with the V6ss but doesn't have the same moisture problem that the 03 4cyl had. Blower fan/resistor failure. Balence chain failures are common lately with 150k plus 03's. The tensioner flies apart or the Duel mass style crank/ballencer drive sprocket fails. Water Pump failure, AMP2 is a peice of shit, The radiators that killed all the auto's were shit. This led to the Trans cooler seal recall. Engine harnesses are dropping like flies now too. Very expensive to fix. Basicaly I hate 03SS's Although each model year improved greatly. By 05 they were Alot better.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 01-24-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
SAI Air pump failure is common & expensive on 03's only east of the missisippi. Condensation fills the first model year only air pump up with water & it fails. I would Imagine most if not all o3's have had an a SAI pump replacement by now. The pump came back with the V6ss but doesn't have the same moisture problem that the 03 4cyl had. Blower fan/resistor failure. Balence chain failures are common lately with 150k plus 03's. The tensioner flies apart or the Duel mass style crank/ballencer drive sprocket fails. Water Pump failure, AMP2 is a peice of shit, The radiators that killed all the auto's were shit. This led to the Trans cooler seal recall. Engine harnesses are dropping like flies now too. Very expensive to fix. Basicaly I hate 03SS's Although each model year improved greatly. By 05 they were Alot better.
Wow, I've been lucky. 80k miles and none of the problems you listed. *crosses fingers*

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Radios can be an issue.

Our stock turbo quit right at 100k. It was a decently reliable car over all. Had front end clunks which wound up being sway bar end links twice and strut mounts once.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

I second all above comments, plus the build quality in general was very poor. Idk how many of those i worked on and it was like a preschooler put it together. Things would just fall apart. Chew up rear brakes like its going out of style, seats are completely shot in short order, all the buttons peal and come apart, upper front strut mount and bearing noisy after 100k, and the list goes on. I tell people to avoid early sports sedans like the plague. The one exception was the 04' Aero which always seemed to be well put together. Idk if it was better parts used or what but we rarely saw issues in those.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
i have plenty of experience with these cars from when they came out - i would never buy one. any year. any time somebody asks me my opinion on a sport sedan they're looking at buying, i find a nice 9-5 to recommend.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

yeah I remember I was with SAAB when they first came out the 03 was awfull we had so many bauy backs. I remeber alot of water under the front seat and the amp was a issue also the sid and the button peel

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I love my 03. its a spoilered brat but i love it. I read about the problems, and I just check on the promblem areas once a month. I check the SAI pump. But majority of my issues could happen to any other car.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #12

My cousin's 2003 Vector is doing fine; he's replaced a couple hub assemblys and done basic maintenance. Trouble free otherwise.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Elder

So are 2004's better than '03s? Or did they start getting better in '05?

Been seeing 03-04's with ~100k in the $5k range...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

04 was definately better than 03s. Another thing to keep in mind a properly maintained 03 that came in for it's recalls and service campaigns can be as good as an 04. Then again rarely do you see a well taken care of SS. Most we see any more are beat to hell and neglected like no other. Common to see them come in with a bad PS pump, leaking water pump, locked up SAI pump and the reason its at the shop is because AMP1 got filled with water so no radio.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
bad PS pump.
haha completely forgot about that one! loved seeing the ones the customers completely neglected and the o-ring had completely failed allowing oil pressure to back feed into the resevoir and just overflow every where.... automotive ignorance is not bliss here people....
Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
Elder

I don't know any dealerships that are willing to touch 2003 9-3s. As far as i'm concerned they are all parts cars, because you can't sell them without screwing somebody.....

Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
I don't know any dealerships that are willing to touch 2003 9-3s. As far as i'm concerned they are all parts cars, because you can't sell them without screwing somebody.....
Yep. We junked our first one 2 years ago. Looks like a picked over carcass but it has made us money selling body parts off it.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Elder

So for the sake of discussion, all else being equal, would you prefer a seemingly nice 2003 or a rougher 2004?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #19

rougher 04 in my opinion
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
a nice '02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in