Sound System Upgrades! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
TSLMember

Sound System Upgrades!

Hello all.

Looking to make some mods to my 06 9-3 2.0T. Looking at flashing ECU, stage one and two, but first I wanted to tint, and also install a sound system.

As far as sound system, I want to replace interior speakers, and one 12 or 15 in the trunk. Budget around 3-4 bills.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Boston S35 X2 on the sides of the dash (can do one s45 in the center if you want), and your choice of shallow mount 2 ohm 6.5 in the doors. I went with an Infiniti in the doors. Haven't touched the rears yet.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

3-4 bills for just the sub or all the speakers + amp?

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
TSLMember

trying to keep the entire operation under 5
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post
Boston S35 X2 on the sides of the dash (can do one s45 in the center if you want), and your choice of shallow mount 2 ohm 6.5 in the doors. I went with an Infiniti in the doors. Haven't touched the rears yet.
I saw a tutorial with the dash speakers, do the speakers you suggested require advanced installation? Does it require an upgrade as far as an amp is concerned?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
$5,000 or $500?

$5K is a tad bit overkill IMHO. But $500 is not enough.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
TSLMember

500. i dont want anything too crazy, also my close friend works at best buy, so I have some wiggle room
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
srp
Elder

All new speakers using the factory amp/head unit and sub and amp will be very difficult to buy for less then $500. Unless your buying used, or parts that have fallen off the back of a truck.

Need to find out of the stock amp supports typical 4 ohm speakers, or if you need wonky impedance speakers.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
TSLMember

okay, i think the stock amp is like 400 watts. but where would i begin to try and find this info out. i have some knowledge of cars, but not speakers, amps, watts, ohms, etc
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
gm

Used is your only option for the best sound... that is unless your friend at best buy hooks you up with employe cost???

If not I would go to Car Audio Classifieds - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality & buy your stuff there. I purchased my Hertz Mille speakers (ML1600 & ML280) & x-over there at 35-40% off retail & they were new. I also purchased my Morel Ultimo 12 SC from someone on the site for close to 30% off BNIB ..... I want SQ so I did a bit of research there which led me to the stuff I have sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

The used stuff I just purchases is all used but in great condition. Alpine W910 deck & Alpine DPX 1000.1 amp. I paid $250 for the 1000w amp.....

Many over on the site have a lot of great things to say about Massive speakers... I do not know what size fits your car, I did a 6.5in component set for my viggen.

Sub wise I think it depends on how you want it to sound. SPL, SQL or SQ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
TSLMember

Well, him being my close friend, i would get it at employee cost, thats why i set my budget at 500. a guy above us said that 6.5 2 ohm shallow mount for the door speakers. so i would just need amp, and sub. I would like to keep the stock saab interface display, i like the look, but if i absolutely had to, i'd replace it with a deck.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
srp
Elder

I'm not ever sure you can replace the infotainment system. It would for sure be a custom job.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
gm

Can you only get the products they have in the store?

If you like a bright sound infinity's kappa perfect line has a excellent midbass but bright speakers, not carried in their stores. Or you would just go with their kappa line however not sure on the shallow mount they are 2ohms so you would be fine with those, if they fit.

Amp wise the PDX-M6 gets really good reviews..... I sold Alpine stuff back in the mid/early 90's & hated the way their amps sound, that was the first gen V12 stuff. However I gave it a try since the price was right..... If you don't want to spend the money on the PDX they have their entry level line or you can go with Rockford or one of the other makes. I would stick with a midline brand for the amp, stay away from the cheap stuff (sony explode, BOSS etc). Alpine, Kenwood, Polk Audio, Kicker & Pioneer are a few they carry. You will want one with a internal low pass filter. The power you need will depend on the amp you purchase.....

Unfortunantly best buy is a horrible place to listen to speakers/amps... since it's always so loud & a big room.

From whay they carry the Type R sub's from alpine is probably what I would do, probably the best SQ of what they have there.......

Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
TSLMember

thanks for the advice, it really helps, i will check into everything
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
gm

Also....I forgot to mention if you can get stuff that's not offered in the stores polk has a SR line in 5.25 & 6.5in component set. If you can get those I would..... They are suppose to be some of the best speakers you can get for any price. Some magazines have stated they are close in sound to the hertz mille's that I went with however for several hundred less retail vs retail. Getting them at cost at 50-70% off retail would be a STEAL!!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
TSLMember

okay. so will the 5.25 need a conversion bracket or whatever it is? and will both of these fit in my 9-3?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
TSLMember

INFINITY REFERENCE 6032SI IN CAR AUDIO 6.5" SHALLOW MOUNT/THIN SPEAKERS SET PAIR | eBay
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdeezylax6 View Post
I saw a tutorial with the dash speakers, do the speakers you suggested require advanced installation? Does it require an upgrade as far as an amp is concerned?
No amp upgrade, they're pretty straight forward. Use a spudger to get the grille off, the tweeters (if you have the 13 speaker system) just pop out and remove two screws per speaker.

I removed the plugs from the stock speakers and soldered them to the new ones so I could just clip them in. You will need to use the battery trick (Google) to determine the polarity of the stock speakers as I forget how they go one.

I did the two dash speakers (~$30) and the doors speakers (~$70) for around $100.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sound, speakers, system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in