lets talk about the v6's - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Elder

lets talk about the v6's

now that they have been out for what 5 years? lets discuss. (mainly because if the viggen sells, i think i might replace it with one of them).

my dad drives an 07, and my mom had an 06 combi, so here is what i know:
-the power is decent
-the clutch is hellishly soft
-the ride is pretty good
-they get quite decent mileage
-the early years had an "issue" eating rear brake pads
-changing spark plugs is a bitch
-the coolant tanks like to split open at very inopportune times (was there ever a recall? happened on both in my family)
-the oil filter is pretty dumb, messy to change
-back seat is kinda small (im 6'1 and the person in front of me basically has to put there knees on the dash for me to be comfy)
-they last, my dad is approaching 110k with next to zero issues

that being said, are there any issues that have come up that i havent heard about? any recalls, tsb's, etc?

obviously i would take a TX, which would bring the XWD into the equation. from what i have read the haldex is pretty decent.

any other thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think the later years are fairly solid cars. I don't care for the interiors as much they seem to get rattly. But a decent car I suppose. I know a guy with about 250kthe on an 06obgyn I believe and has had little issues
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How about a 9-5?
We looked at 06 and 07 9-3's for the wife but ended up with a 06 9-5. The 9-5 just drove better, moves good (260HP), had WAY more room in the back for the kids, and good size trunk. Plus it has a lot of parts in common with my Viggen under the hood. Probably the brakes too.... so that makes it easy for me if it ever needs work.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
now that they have been out for what 5 years? lets discuss. (mainly because if the viggen sells, i think i might replace it with one of them).

my dad drives an 07, and my mom had an 06 combi, so here is what i know:
-the power is decent
Power is excellent tuned
-the clutch is hellishly soft
Yes, but nice in traffic
-the ride is pretty good
-they get quite decent mileage
22 around town, upwards of 30 on the highway
-the early years had an "issue" eating rear brake pads
Can't say that I have this issue
-changing spark plugs is a bitch
Can be done in an hour and a half and it's not like you do this once a month
-the coolant tanks like to split open at very inopportune times (was there ever a recall? happened on both in my family)
52k on mine, 20k on my moms without issue
-the oil filter is pretty dumb, messy to change
I've changed oil in worse
-back seat is kinda small (im 6'1 and the person in front of me basically has to put there knees on the dash for me to be comfy)
YES
-they last, my dad is approaching 110k with next to zero issues

that being said, are there any issues that have come up that i havent heard about? any recalls, tsb's, etc?

obviously i would take a TX, which would bring the XWD into the equation. from what i have read the haldex is pretty decent.

any other thoughts?
I had the rear main seal bust on mine around 35k. It was replaced under warranty without questioning. I've also had the wiper and indicator stalk replaced due to faults. The coil packs are known to cause issue. I just replaced all of mine in the spring.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Elder

anybody know what the factory warranty was on the 08's?

also, is it possible to look up warranty service records etc outside of a dealership?

im going to look at a car in the next few days that apparently had the turbo feed lines replaced, which worries me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Elder

Anybody have real-world MPG for a AWD v6 auto?

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Anybody have real-world MPG for a AWD v6 auto?
Its about 13/16 city and 26/28 highway.

For a v6, they are terrible in the city for mileage. AWD or not.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to someguy
v6's what?

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post

With the 6 speed they do well, as you cam short shift, skip 2nd etc. I'd imagine the auto is crap tho

Old 09-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
You can skip a bunch of gears in the v6s.

I went for the FWD 2007 SC - fast up until the 129 speed limiter, a little too quiet sometimes and apparently incredibly tunable.

Also?

It's a tremendous sleeper. No one suspects the steel gray station wagon is going to blast past them at light speed.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:

Even our 6AT TurboX isn't that bad. You have to be punching it light to light to be getting that. The extra weight and drivetrain loss does show up on the highway. It will only do about 25mpg.

With the 6MT I drive a very hilly city, short trips, stop and go and can still do no worse than 19mpg on a bad day.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Yeah 2007 V6 Combi 6eat
19 Highway ( usually carring a engine or trans for Delivery
Highway going 75 24-27-- Depends if im stuck in Good 405 Traffic...
Love the car... 58,000 miles

Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Elder

So what would people pay for a turbo x with 88k on the clock?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
So what would people pay for a turbo x with 88k on the clock?
$12,500 to 14k TOPS.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
$12,500 to 14k TOPS.
LOL i wish. NADA/kbb value is 18.5k, guy had it listed at that price and then turned it over to some scummy little used car lot and unfortunately he seems to know about the car....and is now selling for "no less than 21k". i have an appointment to see it saturday.

i have a line on another one with 22k on it, but its outta my price range at 27k

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Quote:

My Turbo X does much better than that. Around town isn't great but is consistently 22-23 mpg with plenty of wot. I regularly drive 110 miles to Breckenridge, which is 7000 ft of climbing, and get 28 mpg there. The downhill trip back is 31 mpg. Mine is a manual transmission.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
LOL i wish. NADA/kbb value is 18.5k, guy had it listed at that price and then turned it over to some scummy little used car lot and unfortunately he seems to know about the car....and is now selling for "no less than 21k". i have an appointment to see it saturday.

i have a line on another one with 22k on it, but its outta my price range at 27k
They were selling brand new leftovers a bit over 1.5 years ago for $28k. I would not pay anywhere near $20k with 88k or $27k with 22k miles. NO.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
They were selling brand new leftovers a bit over 1.5 years ago for $28k. I would not pay anywhere near $20k with 88k or $27k with 22k miles. NO.
well if you find me one for less ill be glad to look at it. majority of people are know what they are.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
I might be pointing out the obvious here, but spending a lot of money on a car whose brand and parts availability may cease to exist within the next year may be a decision you need to re-think several times over.

I mean, what if you lose the keys to the car?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
well if you find me one for less ill be glad to look at it. majority of people are know what they are.
This is what I found:

Look at the miles, look at the price-that is more in line. I don't care how far away it is, don't be a little girl when you find a good example of a rare car you want.
2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX, $16,770 - Cars.com

2008 Saab Turbo X - Low Mileage; Excellent Condition

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX, $26,944 - Cars.com

2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX, $25,877 - Cars.com

2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX, $24,900 - Cars.com

Double check if this is a TX.
2008 Saab 9-3, $24,720 - Cars.com

2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX, $22,944 - Cars.com

Cars for Sale: 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X XWD in PALM CITY, FL 34990: Sedan Details - 306301730 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X XWD in Palmer, MA 01069: Sedan Details - 305641372 - AutoTrader.com

Last edited by Jameson; 09-22-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in