Advice on buying 2011 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Advice on buying 2011 9-3

I'm thinking of buying a Saab 2011 9-3. I've never owned a Saab before and I have a couple of concerns I hope you can help me with.

1. Regular gas is recommended but Edmunds and the dealer say regular okay too. Is this true?

2. How's the reliability on the newer Saabs?

3. Is Saab more expensive to repair than other makes?

4. I'm a bit worried Saab won't be around in the long-term and I tend to hold on to a car for at least 10 years. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocco52 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Saab 2011 9-3. I've never owned a Saab before and I have a couple of concerns I hope you can help me with.

This is from my experience having a 2008 Saab 9-3 and also having a 2007 BMW 328i...compare and contrast

1. Regular gas is recommended but Edmunds and the dealer say regular okay too. Is this true?

Gas you can use regular unless you have is tuned

They are just as reliable as most cars in its class...
The 2.8L V6 engine is very good
The 2.0L is good as well, but lacks the build quality of the V6
The interior is average quality (BMW is a little more refined, but BMW's have more expensive to fix problems)
All in all its a great car...its not an Audi or a BMW, but its a Saab and you can feel the difference at 80+ MPH on the highway

The Saab is about average to repair...the 2.0L engine being a lot less to service because of the size of engine and access to the engine. The oil changes are a little expensive because of the large oil capacity and synthetic required. The coolant does not need to be changed for a long time. The brakes are cheap to replace and simple. You also get a very good warranty from GM 100k drivetrain...you would never get that from BMW or AUDI. The belt needs to be changed at 60k but that is pretty cheap to have replaced...all in all its a pretty inexpensive car to own.

4. I'm a bit worried Saab won't be around in the long-term and I tend to hold on to a car for at least 10 years. Any thoughts?

GM will carry the SAAB parts for a long time they make $$$$ and there are tons of used Saab 9-3's out there for parts. My wife hit the garage door with the fender and cracked the window washer reservior this winter, I got a new one with lines and a new fender liner for 40 dollars...cheap cheap cheap !
The car is very simple to work on and will not require master Saab techs (like the AUDI RS4 would be something to worry about if AUDI went under)
Thanks for the help!
In conclusion I would choose a Saab 9-3 any day over a BMW 3 series...the Saab may not have the same refinement, but it wont leave to with an empty wallet after the warraty is up...I would say same goes for AUDI...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #3

Although I just realized they dropped the V6 engine because it was from GM...also I would do some research on the AWD system if you are going that route.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krocco52 View Post

I would not run below 89 octane. personally i only run 93. A stock 93 should handle standard gas just fine.

I can't speak from experience. you can send a message to "moonracer" he is a member on here that runs a dealership, he should have some good advice.

Depends on what brand you are comparing it to, the SAAB's in my family have been great, very low repair costs. There are always lemons though. Im sure they are cheaper than BMW's and Audi's. If you are comparing them to a econobox Chevy caviler, I'm sure the SAAB will cost more.

SAAB has had a promising turn around in the past year. The SAAB's that are being produced in 2011 and 2012 will hopefully remind people of the product that SAAB is capable of producing. Right now a new sedan is not in the cards for me, but if I were shopping for one...a SAAB would certainly be on the list. I say go for it, but don't discount the 9-5 either. They are supposed to be releasing a 4cylinder fwd version of the 9-5 this year.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. Best of luck.

Last edited by viggenkid; 02-27-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
very well said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I have run 87 in our 2.0T since day one and it's fine. But I do notice a difference when I ring the car out on a tank of 93.

Its 3 years old and with 24k but it has had no issues aside from the sunroof button acting up a bit and being fixed by the dealer. Our '04 SS went from 30k to 100k and only needed basic maintenance aside from a blower motor.

Saab will be around, and even if not it's mandated that parts be around for nearly a decade after the car is gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Our '04 ARC 2.0T Convertible did 192k miles (and still has some time left in it) on Regular Gas with what I'd call normal maintinence.

It was such a good car we bought a '10 9-3....
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in