A few ?'s - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

A few ?'s

Looking at a 03 Vector w/ 76K miles and a 04 Aero w/ 92k miles.

Anything i need to look/watchout for? Also, i have a nice, and newly aquired stereo system (head unit, subs/amp) i heard these cars are wired with optic wires and there is no aftermarket install adapters for a putting in a different head unit. That blows, and is really stupid imo. But i could rig up my subs using a speaker wire to RCA adapter right? I dont wanna loose my bump....i dont want to loose my nice new headunit either but...oh well...

Also what are some common maintnence that occur within the 75-100k mile mark with these cars?

Can i install my MBC to the T8 without ECU issues?

Do i HAVE to buy the cold air intake off of Genuine Saab or can i install something of my own with out throwing codes or making the T8 flip out?

Just a reminder, both of the cars have the 2.0T motor.

Any help is appreciated, just wanna get some of these questions answered before i make any purchases.....i dont want to retire my 99' but....its been through some hell last month, it think its time to put her to rest......for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Are you looking at a dealership or and what area in WI? If it's close to Milwaukee I'd be willing to stop out and have a look at it with ya just to throw in my '02.

I'd go with the '04 over the '03 just for the simple fact that the '04s seem to have less issues. Also if the gas gauge goes crazy (common) on the '04 you can replace just the fuel level sensor, in the '03 it's the whole fuel pump.

What to watch for? Well is it automatic or stick? Automatic I'd check the trans fluid.

Really there aren't that many things to look for that wouldn't stand out if it was wrong.

As for the stereo... Yeah, it sucks... But you can use a speaker to RCA adaptor (or high level inputs of your amp has them). And yes, say goodbye to your aftermarket radio, that is unless you want to rewire the whole thing.

I honestly don't think using your MBC would be a good idea with T8. And as for a CAI, I don't think that fabing your own would be that big of an issue (but I'll let others chime in on that one since we left our factory air box in).

Also, what are you doing with your '99? PM Me if you'd like.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

I too wouod go with the 04. I have one and it has not had any issues besides a window regulator. I would make sure that the vin is not one of the cars recalled for faulty front springs. Even if it was recalled and not fixed its a good idea to replace stock shocks and struts before 120k.

As for the intake. You can make your own, but i would just get the bsr from genuine saab. I hear that if you do not keep the maf sensor in the exact same spot along the intake T8 will go ape sht.

The service for 100k should be something like plugs, oil and filter change, trans service for auto, the usual brake and steering eval, and possibly a new serpentine belt...i can double check when i make it home.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Yeah, if it's over 100k I'd do some preventative maintinence on it. Plugs, Flush Trans Fluid, Serp Belt, etc... But I always do that on cars with over 100k miles on 'em when I first buy 'em...

With the front spring recall, if they haven't been replaced make sure they aren't broken. If they are broken take it to your local Saab dealership. It won't be a problem getting them replaced.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Are you looking at a dealership or and what area in WI? If it's close to Milwaukee I'd be willing to stop out and have a look at it with ya just to throw in my '02.

I'd go with the '04 over the '03 just for the simple fact that the '04s seem to have less issues. Also if the gas gauge goes crazy (common) on the '04 you can replace just the fuel level sensor, in the '03 it's the whole fuel pump.

What to watch for? Well is it automatic or stick? Automatic I'd check the trans fluid.

Really there aren't that many things to look for that wouldn't stand out if it was wrong.

As for the stereo... Yeah, it sucks... But you can use a speaker to RCA adaptor (or high level inputs of your amp has them). And yes, say goodbye to your aftermarket radio, that is unless you want to rewire the whole thing.

I honestly don't think using your MBC would be a good idea with T8. And as for a CAI, I don't think that fabing your own would be that big of an issue (but I'll let others chime in on that one since we left our factory air box in).

Also, what are you doing with your '99? PM Me if you'd like.
Thanks for all the info....

Yeah they are both at dealerships, but they are around 30 miles south of the WI border down in IL. So idk when im going to get down there. Im going to have to get financialy set to buy right away and dedicate a full day of driving, it sucks cause all the SAABs in my price range and what im looking for are all in IL, theres NOTHING in WI. Unless i can find someone that lives in the chicago land area that wants to go look at it for me and see if its legit.

Im not sure what im going to do with the 99, i might keep it and store it away or sell/part it. Its got rear end damage on it now and it needs a new paint job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer01 View Post
I too wouod go with the 04. I have one and it has not had any issues besides a window regulator. I would make sure that the vin is not one of the cars recalled for faulty front springs. Even if it was recalled and not fixed its a good idea to replace stock shocks and struts before 120k.

As for the intake. You can make your own, but i would just get the bsr from genuine saab. I hear that if you do not keep the maf sensor in the exact same spot along the intake T8 will go ape sht.

The service for 100k should be something like plugs, oil and filter change, trans service for auto, the usual brake and steering eval, and possibly a new serpentine belt...i can double check when i make it home.
Doesnt sound too bad, sounds like the newer 9-3's are dependable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in