Removing the front bumper? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Removing the front bumper?

Anybody have pictures of a step by step walk through? Trying to figure out what tools I might need in order to replace my failing HID bulb or if I should be waiting till I'm back in VB, VA with all my tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Are you removing the whole headlight? or just puting the bulb in? You don't need to pull the whole bumper if your only pulling one headlight housing. Bulbs are done with out pulling the housing. The bumper doesn't need to be touched at all just for a bulb.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
From looking at it there is no room to get my hand in to change the HID bulb. I have the v6 turbo motor. In reading there are three bulbs for the headlight assembly, one which can only be accessed by pulling the bumper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Elder

Bump? I realize that it is xmas eve but an answer before I have to drive back would be nice.

Do I only have to remove 6 bolts in the wheel wells (3 per side), the 6 pop rivets above the grill, and the screws to the undertray to be able to remove the bumper shell so that I can get this xenon bulb changed out?

Tired of hearing my lovely wife nag at me about the pink bulb that she feels will get us a ticket.

Last edited by NahumCC; 12-24-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Is it the left or right side bulb? left side bulb. you unclip the Mini fues box and pull the platics out of the way, Covers and such. Passenger side you might want to pull the Air filter housing up. You only pull the bumper for a bad processor on the bottom of the housing or a bad shutter in the housing "requires whole housing"

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 12-24-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Elder

Ditto,

If it's a driver's side bulb you can absolutely do it without removing. Although the bumpper cover is stupid easy to remove.

Bulb only: (applies to 4-cyl and 6-cyl)
-Battery cover
-Winscreen wiper neck (yank sharply upward)
-Main relay fuse box, look down against the battery, there's a little clip you push toward the front of the car, pull UP on fuse box, there's enough cable to stretch it out of the way to get to the low beam ballast.

Bumper cover:
-2 trim screws in each fender well, I think they are Torx-20's or 25's
-Pull the bumper cover very carefully straight outwards starting at the rear corners in the fender well, and work your way along the underside of the headlamp glass - there are a series of little plastic clip tabs that you have to pop the sides of the bumper out of, try not to pull too hard at the corners or you might crack the paint. If you have small hands you might be able to get one hand in from the back and push it out from the inside, but unlikely.
-6 or whatever little plastic clips at the top above the grille.

....That's it. If you're just doing lamps just let the whole thing just sort of pivot forward and down and let it sit on the ground, lamps come out with 3 10mm screws, two on the tabs on top, one on the bottom outside of the housing.

FYI, I'd say that less than 50% of the time on the SS cars the headlamp not working is the bulb, for me at least it's usually the control ballast underneath the lamp housing.

If you put a new bulb (or the working bulb from the other side) in and it doesn't work, swap the ballasts that clip to the back of the bulb.

If it still doesn't work, remove the lamp housings, there's a little control box underneath, swap those and see if the working and non-working lamp swap sides.

Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in