Paint costs ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Question Paint costs ?

Has anyone had any paint work done to their car? I realize that I am behind the times and reality and of course "Coke ain't a nickel any more" but?

I had a few flawed spots in the paint when I bought my 2008 used and thought no biggie for now. Black car and every spot shows; each blem is like an eye magnet and walking to the car the mind screams "don't look", but I do.

Got an estimate today and it was $250 per panel so that will be three doors and a rear quarter with a total of $1,000. The fellow who gave the estimate came highly recommended for both price and quality. My pal sad he wasn't the lowest but it was light years above Ma-(beep beep)aco.

In my dreams for the last few weeks I had been thinking of getting the car done in the Turbo X metallic black or some subtle change, or perhaps a total clear coat job for extra depth. In my delirium, maybe a subtle off shade old school race stripe (don't gag, I saw an old 96 with a "3/4 stripe", wide and goes from the cowl but not all the way to the end of the hood?

No way now. Argggggg, what have you paid recently?

Years ago I would get a Maaco special for like $129 but I would strip chrome and lights, light sand and then provide my own paint. You could pick a cool Porsche color instead of the Maaco base colors. So I am not knocking the Maaco boys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
I too know the torture a black car can bring about.....and it sucks! I love black when it's new, but after that, it's just way to much trouble for my taste...light scratches, swirls, etching, and EVERYTHING shows! I had a black 2003 9-5 Aero about a year ago and while I loved the car, I HATED owning a black car. I'd be wasting time and detailing the thing every few weeks, wishing to go the car was silver or white instead of black. After that experience, I'm not sure I'll ever own a black car ever again. They look amazing when NEW, or cared for properly since new, but over time, they all show too much.

I think your quote for $250 a panel isn't that bad. Paint costs are high and that seems pretty fair, although, you might want to hold out for a complete job, something that should run around $2000-$2500 for a good job. Only reason is because you'll be painting more than one panel. I know black is one of the easier matches, but with that many panels being repainted, it might make more sense doing a whole job. It's a shame a 2008 needs this kind of body work! I'd be sick over it too. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I just got the wagon painted.
everything but the roof, including pulling some dents, repairing the bumpers, and fixing some rust over the wheel arches cost just shy of $5k

I have a black 9-5 wagon.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
also, if you're handy with sand paper and tape, do the prep-wor yourself.
If you drop a car off @ maaco with most of the body work done, they can get you out the door for a few hundred bucks.

you'd be suprised how easy body work is. getting it perfect is the tough part.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Thanks folks. This fellow came recommended by a friend who is a car guy and being short of money having just bought a new and close to new, cash is an issue.

Sadly, my health won't allow any more work on cars. I loved to take an old 914 or MG and strip it of everything but the directionals and they would come off once I got there. I would do almost all of my own masking, do the jambs with a spray bomb and just provide the good quality paint.

Right now the car is a horror show on one side and as you can imaging in black it is magnified.

I remember doing a Sonett in the 70's that had a smacked rear quarter and broken arches, full paint and all for 250$. That's when I found the boss double billing and my short lived career in body work was over. He would show me a receipt for $300 and then actually bill the customer $500. We worked on a 50/50 split.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
He would show me a receipt for $300 and then actually bill the customer $500. We worked on a 50/50 split.
Thats the sort of shit that pisses me off. Thats why i reserve the "shop" for a last resort if i f*ck something up bad enough or i simply just cant do it myself. Even the 'ma and pa shops' will f*ck ya in some cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The devil made me say this...the best way to get paint work done is for the car to get hit in a parking lot (bad bad people) and file a claim...this way the body shop can make take the appropriate steps to have the work done that you would like ...almost all shops no the deal, you need to tell them what your goal is and they will work it out for you...I know this guy that purposely hit a wall so that he could have his car repainted...cough cough...just make sure you have accident forgiveness etc...paying 5K to have a car repainted in CRAZY !
Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
My Dad just had his '00 S500 repainted (it's silver) with rust fixed, and dents removed for $2000... It was worth it.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Elder

Paint costs, like anything else, depend on quality of product, quality of labor, preparation, etc., etc. You could spend $245 at Maaco and get a Maaco paint job, you could spend $6000 and get a damned good paint job, you could spend $10,000 and get custom graphics/flames/whatever.

I've personally spent $200 on paint supplies (pigment, hardener, cleaning supplies, sanding/prep supplied) on 1 quart of black paint for 1 panel (roof of an SPG) and sprayed it myself in my garage -- only to have it totaled three weeks later.

Then I've also restored the Commem, tearing it down to a shell, and subbed out the paint work to a local shop for $3500. Did the same on the SE 'vert also for $3500 at the same shop two years later.

But again, all the pre-paint disassembly and post-paint re-assembly I did on my own. Both could have cost a ton more.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in