Maine bans performance exhausts. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Maine bans performance exhausts.

Sounds like any Borla or Magnaflow exhaust will be in the can.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Every car I have ever owned has had aftermarket exhausts on it in MA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
is there a grandfather clause to those that can prove this was done before the ban? Where are you getting your info?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Time to vote with your feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Is the MA aftermarket exhaust bill still trying to be passed? They can't be illegal in Mass due to the number of super loud trucks I have seen.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Time to vote with your feet.
or tires.... but that sounds like a bogus law, more or less it's some dumb-ass law that they are trying to pass - but can't. Fear is there only hope usually.
for your repair needs
Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

My concern is that it will spread like wildfire to other states.

If ... "The Great State of Maine" ... does it CT and NY will probably jump on board.

Vote with my feet? Hell, if my health was better Maine was where I was considering moving to escape the NJ taxes, gun laws, taxes and did I mention taxes. Used to be that Mass was bad but now we are over $15,000 and when you are retired that is bad news.

No, this at first glance is a joke till it sets in and you realize that it's you next.

My guess is that it was aimed at the Harley and Ricer Fart Can crowd but the fallout is going to put a dent in a lot of places pocket books.

I have owned a few Harley and other bikes but those idiots brought this down on all of us. One of the deciding factors in selling my first home was that I lived near a destination ride spot. I learned to hate nice sunny summer days because I could not hear myself think. There is nothing like the sound of a "Hawg" with open pipes dragging it up the hill in second gear. I was getting ready to put a stick through the spokes. Now where I live they have "rides" every weekend where they think (note word think), they can stop traffic and run stop signs.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Sorry soccer, it was over on a very straight up Corvair site. Many of the guys are into performance mods and this has a lot of folks upset.

It sounds like there is no middle ground, it's OEM type or ticket.

Now, this is interesting because here in NJ we are changing MV inspection requirements. The only thing DMV will be inspecting is emissions. I assume that will leave all other items to the local PD or State officers.

There used to be a requirement that all equipment have an SAE approval and I got nailed for that a few times when I was a kid. Yeah, Lucas Flamethrowers are not a legal substitute for stock high beams. My bad.

But in Newark and Elizabeth, I used to see lots of pimp rides and stuff with purple tail lights and junk like that and the locals ignoring it. That in itself is going to be a shock because out where I live the locals will ticket kids for having even license plate brackets that partly obscure the state name. Yeah, my wife had been driving the Saab 900 since 1995 with no problem but when my kid started driving it it suddenly became illegal.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Elder

After much research*, I dont think any laws have passed banning "aftermarket" all together

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Fellow claims the law is in effect. Locals have been issued DB meters, now how can they tell the stock (sound of a) muffler from a 67 Vette with side pipes is another issue but, he said one guy was issued a ticket for his fart can Subbie.

He also said that a checkpoint was put up for bikes.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Elder

DB limits have been around for a while from place to place. But an all out ban on aftermarket exhaust has not.

The law would have to allow for older vehicles that can no longer find stock exhaust too.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

The law went into effect on July 10 and I just read a notice from the Maine SP Traffic Unit.

Basically the notice said not to panic. If your exhaust is noticeably louder than a stock exhaust you are probably going to get a ticket.

In other words, how I read this ... if I was stupid enough to pull up to a Maine trooper and shift down and rev the hell out of my (former) Corvette's Borla, I would be dumb enough to get a ticket.

Just cruising by him (or her), I would not even get a raised eyebrow. My Borla was the most mild but had a nice growl.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
AFAIK, same law has been in play in Utah since I've been here. My best friend gets pulled over all the damn time in his WRX because his car is registered here. I don't think they'll ever notice it on a Saab, though.. let's be serious here

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
What about SaabSport exhausts.. those things are loud as fuck and were a factory option. . Or SRT4's...

Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
thell never pass it, because there are to many OEM style replacements that are from"aftermarket" companies.. i dont want to go to the dealership to get new pipes for my car and pay dealership prices.

more importantly, what will cars that no longer have OEM PArts available do>?

these bills never pass
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I believe it passed years ago...this is just a new/clearer interpretation of the law that was passed by the state of Maine recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
these bills never pass
Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Law went into effect on July 10 and there has been some enforcement.

A letter from Maine SP Traffic said that essentially if you not attracting their attention you won't be noticed. Translation I suppose it that the if you are not an idiot don't worry about it.

Just FWIW, my wife had a dead stock 1989 900 (non turbo), and it failed for an allegedly loud exhaust. This nit-wit beech tagged me coming in every time till I produced a letter and a business card from two different muffler shops indicating that I did not need nor was it an altered exhaust. When I requested a supervisorand produced the papers the "noise" magically disappeared.

This was not a state employee, this was a Parsons (private sector), "inspector".
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
Law went into effect on July 10 and there has been some enforcement.

A letter from Maine SP Traffic said that essentially if you not attracting their attention you won't be noticed. Translation I suppose it that the if you are not an idiot don't worry about it.

Just FWIW, my wife had a dead stock 1989 900 (non turbo), and it failed for an allegedly loud exhaust. This nit-wit beech tagged me coming in every time till I produced a letter and a business card from two different muffler shops indicating that I did not need nor was it an altered exhaust. When I requested a supervisorand produced the papers the "noise" magically disappeared.

This was not a state employee, this was a Parsons (private sector), "inspector".
Yet another reason I'm glad to not live in NJ.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #19
Elder

Tell me about it, it is illegal to even have an intake in California. Does that stop us? Nope, not even close. It is laughable about the fact that some of the things that are illegal in CA can yield better emissions and fuel economy, although there are CARB legal aftermarket parts like supercharger kits but that basically means that the emissions controls are untouched.

|
|
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #20
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Alaska FTW! A state where a vehicle as this one can be street legal:

There are very few things you can't do to a car here, but that means I see purple headlights, painted tail lights, fully tinted front windshields and other crazy things here day in day out.

Just make sure you are not driving with studded tires in the summer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in