XWD Sustainability? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM  
Elder

XWD Sustainability?

I'm wondering just how susceptibility this Haldex XWD system is to "failure".

Already on my dads 2008 TurboX, its been in for one TSB. Something about shorting or adding a diff air vent. Or something of the sort.

A few weeks ago during his one year service, the techs found a leaking diff seal. Ok fine, they placed an order for the o-ring, and 3 weeks later its back in to have them replaced.

About 4 hours into the replacement, the dealership called to tell him they found another leaking seal. So they decided to order up that part as well to replace.

While I think its great that they wanted to replace the leaking seals(in warranty). Is this going to be a regular occurrence in all XWD platforms?

Also, the coolant res. was replaced under a TSB, as well as a leaky turbo coolant line tightened up, after loss of coolant. Over all the turboX has been great, aside from these few mishaps.

Last edited by dan-the-kid; 09-01-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Probably gonna end up like the older mercedes with the 4-matic transmissions, they are a bit of a hack with a regular rwd trans coupled with some sort of jackshaft arrangement and lots of solenoids. Nearly all of the ones rolling around with over 60k or so have reverted to RWD. They should have gone to a real AWD setup like Audi has. Who knows though, Haldex seems to really know their stuff, only time will tell, but all that electronic trickery usually means bad reliability.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM  
Avid TSL User

IMO no one's made a real car since the early 90s. In terms of driving the most miles, with the fewest problems, you can't beat an old 900 or a Volvo 240, and some of the mercedes.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM  
Elder

There is a recall campaign out for the leaking shaft seals at the rear diff, and all the V6 cars are still going through reservoirs, even after they updated the part in '07 or whatever.

If that's your only issues you are doing good - a lot of T-X cars are burning through coils, maybe have the shop change the plugs at 30k and cross your fingers, I have read a bunch of people having them fail even when still under warranty.

Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM  
Elder

Wow, good to know.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM  
SAAB Road Master

Reading the shop print out on my "faux-X" (aero 280 AWD) and it says that the rear seals were checked at 7,000 with no correction noted.

Three coils were replaced at 600 miles and it looks like the replaced the plugs at 300 miles. Perhaps trying to dodge the coil issue?

My Volvo has the first Haldex and I was warned about the tires. They told me they need to be essentially the same. It's a 1998 bought new and has about 110,000 miles. About 1000 miles ago it developed a "stutter" in low speed turns like, turning a corner. Not sure but I think it may be AWD finally going.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM  
Elder

Uh huh.

Got the X back today, everything seems fine.

I don't know too too much about the 2.8T, but does it use a coil-on-plug set up?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 PM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Uh huh.

Got the X back today, everything seems fine.

I don't know too too much about the 2.8T, but does it use a coil-on-plug set up?
I believe it does

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I'm sure they are just milking the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I'm sure they are just milking the warranty.
We should hopefully be getting the cheese soon too.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM  
SAAB Road Master

Right and wrong.

There was a high incidence of coil pack failures on the 2.8 motors. It only showed up (from what hear), if you were on it. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to only authorize "X" while they wait for enough stats to do "Y".

My buddy was a Beemer dealer and when they brought out a new high end model he said the first three automatic trannies were back on a flatbed within a week. It was killing him to send people out in them but he had to because even though it was only a spring (mostly labor costs), BMW would not authorize repair till the car was sold and failed. They were waiting on the statistical data to build that they had released a load of big $$$$$ lemons.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
About 1000 miles ago it developed a "stutter" in low speed turns like, turning a corner. Not sure but I think it may be AWD finally going.
I'm not sure abot the haladex systems, but on a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Quadra-Trac I & II) this is the viscus coupling (sp). It requires a transfer case rebuild.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:21 PM  
SAAB Road Master

Slow Joe, thanks for the bad news. Now I understand why the mech was kind of vague with me yesterday. He has an almost identical car and did not want to even give me a clue. Nice guy and probably does not like to deliver bad news.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Well, in the Haladex system it could be solenoid controlled. I wouldn't be worried till the mechanic does tell you it needs a t-case. You never know, it might be minor...

The other thing that does that in the Jeeps (I used to sell them, and owned quite a few lol) is underinflated tires, but I'd assume if a mechanic looked at it your tires are properly inflated.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in