Saab 9-3 reliability - better stats - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
TSLMember

Saab 9-3 reliability - better stats

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

So far 394 Saab 9-3 owners have signed up to participate. A very good start, but more remain needed to provide precise stats for all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Neon, for free. I'll share results in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
TSLMember

We have updated results for the Saab 9-3 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 74

2006: 90

2005: 59

2004: 66

2003: 88

All are now about average. Small sample sizes for the 2003, 2004, and 2005, so these results are less precise than the others.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

The percentage with no repairs is about 39 for the 2006 and 51 for the 2007, and the percentage of lemons is about 4 for the 2006 and less than one for the 2007. These stats require larger sample sizes, so we don't yet have them for as many model years.

We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Saab 9-3 reliability comparisons
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
TSLMember

We have updated results for the Saab 9-3 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 71

2006: 71

2005: 34, small sample size, other results suggest not accurate

2004: 87

2003: 88, small sample size

Except for the 2005, which likely isn't accurate, all are about average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

The percentage with no repairs is about 53 for the 2006 and 43 for the 2007, and the percentage of lemons is less than one for both. These stats require larger sample sizes, so we don't yet have them for as many model years.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
TSLMember

In a couple of weeks we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. The preview results are actually updated as responses come in--for me it's like watching the results of a presidential election, only four times a year.

My focus: how many model years will we be able to cover this time around? It depends entirely on the number of owners that participate.

To help provide the best possible information on your year:

Car reliability research
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have been participating in this for a while. Pretty easy once a month thing, if that.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
I have been participating in this for a while. Pretty easy once a month thing, if that.
Thank you for putting a good word in. It's actually only every third month unless you have a repair to report in the interim.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
I just signed up. Will I receive an e-mail when information is needed?
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

signed up also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
I just signed up. Will I receive an e-mail when information is needed?
Yes
Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Patton Send a message via MSN to Patton Send a message via Yahoo to Patton
I have been participating with my Chrysler Aspen, nice to see the efforts here.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
TSLMember

We have updated results for the Saab 9-3 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 53, about average, small sample size

2007: 64, about average

2006: 71, about average

2005: 44, better than averge, very small sample size, other results suggest not accurate

2004: 118, worse than average

2003: 133, worse than average, small sample size

The percentage with no repairs is about 48 for the 2006 and 47 for the 2007. These stats require larger sample sizes, so we don't yet have them for as many model years.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help provide this information:

Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Did you take into account the models and the units sold per year?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
Did you take into account the models and the units sold per year?
Sorry for the late reply, I must not have automatic notifications enabled.

Anyway, since the reported repair frequency is per car, there's no need to factor in the number sold.

We'll have updated reliability stats next month. As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Frankly, you are nuts and know nothing about statistics.

Sorry for "harsh" but anyone who buys into that is insane.

You don't sub out to Airbus do you?

Go to any books on conducting a sample or industrial survey methods. This stuff is basic and without knowledge of the number of the units of the population being studied, there are also minimal guidelines before you publish numbers. What you are doing is assigning some significance (sound familiar?), to raw data. I won''t do your work for you and tell you what they are. But then you knew that.

If this is for some college assignment, I would give you a very solid "D". At least you tried to assemble data instead of pencil whipping it.

Last edited by TunnanXWD; 11-03-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Honestly I'm with tunnanXWD, if you want to have any legitimacy to your stats, you would need thousands of people per model year...but then again stats are great, you can make them say whatever you want
Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Thanks AutoXer01, after awhile you start feeling er, like unique, like a one way arrow pointed in the wrong direction on a narrow street.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #17

The stats are pulled from a voluntary survey - true and accurate stats aren't going to be available for those who do not participate in the survey. So, the results of his survey show a certain statistic which is not necessarily a representation of all vehicles produced.

I understand your point Tunnan. You're right, as a nationwide reflection of a vehicle, it can be misleading. He does show the number of vehicles per 100 that were included and I believe there is a minimum # of vehicles that has to be met to be included.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Well it's nice to see that I have the highest mileage 2004 in the sample... LOL
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
TSLMember

We have updated results for the Saab 9-3 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 34, better than average, small sample size

2007: 60, about average

2006: 88, about average

2005: 69, about average, small sample size

2004: 136, worse than average

2003: 148, worse than average

The percentage with no repairs is about 34 for the 2006 and 59 for the 2007, while the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 7 for the 2006 and about 4 for the 2007. These stats require larger sample sizes, so we don't yet have them for as many model years.

Saab 9-3 Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help provide this information:

Saab 9-3 reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

I know everyone thinks this is a great thing and all, but the accuracy/legitimacy of this survey is compromised just in the fact that it is voluntary car owners. Right from the start you will get more people who actually try to take care of their cars and less of the people who neglect them. Or worse, you get the people who want to bash the brand and only go on after something catastrophic happens. Then again a real reliability survey is like a lot of things...a good idea but not practical. Only a true (massively funded) investigative study/report of the vehicles will give you remotely accurate information in regards to saying if any model year is better than another. Everything else is like using a test drive as a dyno.

Ok I'm of my box

Last edited by AutoXer01; 12-14-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in