Completely remove Onstar = No more SID messages? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Completely remove Onstar = No more SID messages?

First, is it possible to completely remove Onstar? I think I've read something about this Onstar issue but I couldn't find it.

Now that the Analog signal is no longer being used, I get the Onstar Malfunction message on my SID that tells me to contact my dealer. It's not all the time, but it is annoying and I cannot stand error messages. I've talked to the dealerships and they all say there is nothing they can do about the message.

I remember GenuineSaab removed his "No Onstar" message on the SID. But, does that cure the malfunction message? Any Tech II steps on how to do this so I can pay a dealer to do it for me when they say it can't be done. As I said, I think this has been answered in the past, but I couldn't find it.

'04 9-3 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
SAABeginner

It can be done.

Dude, the good news is it can be done. I took my 93 to my local dealership and told them I wanted the O/S removed (entirely). We met in the middle, they left the equipment and sensors in the car, but, they worked some magic and now I have no SID messages. Sorry, I'm not sure technically what they did.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Elder

For just $10 I can tell you the trick - it's not hard and can be done for under $20 in parts

send money to......

OK - so here's what you do;

1) Locate in the trunk the CU/PU unit which is mounted upside down under the rear shelf in a sedan

2) Disconnect the Fiber Optical connector and loop it - I think it is long enough to do this from what I recall. If not - buy some and loop it.
You are now bypassing the CU/PU which is the headquarters for onstar. Typically this will be all you need to do to keep the message from coming back - otherwise a reprogram of the ICM will be needed to tell it no more onstar. Some cars are special.

By looping the optical wire, (do not kink it!) it keeps the rest of the optical network functioning and skips over the outdated and useless hardware.
for your repair needs

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 06-24-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
By looping the connector, do you mean connecting both ends together? I haven't pulled the connectors out of the CU/PS unit yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 06-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Elder

yep
for your repair needs
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #6

Sweet action! I'ma go do that in a few minutes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M73 99L In Maine
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #7

Great info. Thanks and I'm definitely going to try it. Let me know if it works out Granite E.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #8

I pulled the connector out of the CU/PS Module and sure enough there were two fiber lines glowing back at me. I couldn't figure out how to detach them from the housing given the small amount of space my fat ass afforded while laying in there upside down. I'm not too concerned anymore, I sold the car this afternoon and it's not my problem anymore in another 15 hours or so.

M73 99L In Maine
Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite_embedded View Post
I sold the car this afternoon
So soon? Wasn't it pretty new to you?

I also crawled under there to take a peak. I don't think I'm annoyed to the point of cutting up the wiring and hoping I fix it though.

'04 9-3 Aero

Last edited by Curlymurt; 06-27-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Elder

no need to cut anything - that black connector pops open with a pocket screw driver - and the plastic white ends I think connect together, just hafta pull one end cover off.
for your repair needs
Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by granite_embedded View Post
I sold the car this afternoon
So are you picking up that nice black 9-5 now?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #12

That nice black one got sold... but I found a pretty tit 03 in Polar White in Pittsburgh. Flying out Monday to grab that.

M73 99L In Maine
Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Nice Carl, very nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in