Snow time!!! Whohoo!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
TSLMember

Talking Snow time!!! Whohoo!!!

Hey,

Well, its finally here. Snow!!! Here is Milwaukee (wisconsin) its been snowing pretty hard and blowing like crazy. Now this is my first front wheel drive car with traction control systems. I have had nothing but 4x4 jeeps and my 9-2x. Gotta say that I miss the AWD and snow tires on the 9-2x. But i figured that it would be okay since we don't have to many of these crazy snowdays.

With that said...any tips on driving in snow with traction control? Any tips with the 9-3 at all for this condition would be appreciated.

Overall the car handles great in the snow (for a swede)

Cheers
Ken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Congrats on the snow. Very jealous here in New England.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

less gas.... more e-brake

Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Elder

know how to quickly hit the off switch.

my mom has gotten stuck more times because of that damn system than is funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

true it is better to just go peddle to the metal when your getting stuck.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
know how to quickly hit the off switch.

my mom has gotten stuck more times because of that damn system than is funny.
+1

Two days after I bought my car it snowed something fierce. When I bought it summer only BFG KDW2's were on it.

Nightmare.

Anyways, I got stuck on oh about a .5 degree incline, which just happened to be one of the main roads that goes through downtown Minneapolis (Hennepin Ave). I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn the damn traction control off (it kept cutting the power and I needed to spin the tires to get going)...it didn't help that there wasn't an owner's manual in the car, either.

The traction control is shit. You are better off, just giving it light throttle to get moving in first and then immediately shift into second, shift into the next highest gear earlier than you usually would. It's all about momentum.

That being said, I don't know if it was traction control or divine intervention, but one time I was going on an underpass on ramp, and hit black ice mid curve. I felt the car start to immedately shift and I prepared for what I assumed would be the hit of the wall. The stability light lit up and immediately just grabbed my car forward and yanked it in line. It was one of the weirdest feelings I have ever had in a car. Well besides my first experience with receiving road head.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
TSLMember

Howdy,

Hm, interesting on the "turn off the tc" statements made. I was heading out to dinner tonight and found a place to park. I thought, hey I can get outta there if I were to park here. Yeah right. I was not able to go anywhere and I was only a few inches in. After some rocking I hit the switch and it helped. I will say that after driving the car alot today in these conditions, that the tc has its pros and cons. When I had it on there were cars just flying by be from the stoplight. I think i will try more without. I will say that the stability control is pretty cool though. I threw the car around a little in a parking lot and it was pretty interesting to see the car straightening itself out.

Cheers
Ken
Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Hiker
Here in New Hampshire we're expecting a fair amount of snow tonight and into Monday. Projections for where I'm located in Concord are for anywhere from 8" to 14". Outside of a dusting or two we've received so far, this will be the first measurable amount of snow we've received this season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sit Nomine Digna
Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 AM   #9

2004 Aero on 17 inch Toyo Proxie all seasons in 6 inches of snow = FAIL

Winter wheels/tires on backorder until Jan. 5

Downright scary, I am screwed until next month.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
TSLMember

^ tell me about it. I had 17's on my 92x Aero with Bridgestone summer tires = superfail too. haha Even with AWD the car was all over the road. Boy, that was disappointing. Hope you can get your tires quickly. What package did you order?

Cheers
Ken
Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
Elder

What tires are you getting that are backordered?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #12

The tires are in stock, the wheels are on backorder.

Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 w/ ASA EM9 16x7

The tirerack website lists the wheels in stock now, I will have to investigate.

I am going to have to choose a diiferent set-up if I have to wait that long. My car is literally undrivable in the snow on the all seasons it came with.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Elder

I would recommend discounttire.com

The wheels, I ordered from them were $99 a pop and were at my door in 3days. That was for the 17's. Not sure what you are intending to run, but discounttire.com usually has better pricing and selection of wheels (for those that don't care about having great looking wheels), they carry lower end wheels.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
TSLMember

Lightbulb

You should check out craigslist for your area, if you haven't already. You might score big like i did. I got these 2003 9-5 Linear 16" rims for 160 bucks. Yes, for the entire set (no rubber of course). Perfect strong winter rims.

Then threw on some thick blizzaks (read: not z rated).

Old 12-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Hiker
Looks really good, SaabNW!

Sit Nomine Digna
Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #16
Elder

I just sent him some CL listings, there are a couple sets of snow/wheel packages in the $450-600 range.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #17
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
The snow has started here.... supposed to be getting quite a bit.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
TSLMember

Yeah, disconttire.com is a great site. (also has free shipping on packages) Its were I got my snows for my 9-2x (icebear W300's)
Now the roads are clear and its cool to drive again. This is kinda why I cannot buy snows for my 9-3 right now, the snow conditions are bad for such a short time here in Milwaukee. Hm. Maybe another snow storm will make me change my mind.

Cheers
Ken
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
SAAB Road Master

I find the best place for the Saab when that wonderful Milwaukee weather hits is in the garage.

Honestly, though, I think my 03 arc handles pretty good in the snow/ice. I can't remember what tires I have on right now, but I am happy with them.

For the TC, I like to leave it on when I'm driving, it has saved me a couple of times.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #20
Elder

Glad you're enjoying it Ken.

You should install a siren in your car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in