Possible problem with rear brakes on 9-3ss. - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #21
Elder

Also - note that as of 2006 this wear rate seems to have been adjusted - it's starting to be more 50/50 now - rears on NEWER SS are lasting longer, but again, it's all in your driving habbits.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummo View Post
I've got 53000 on my ss and haven't done brakes yet. Don't need to for a little while. They still look good
Lies.

Or you only engine brake.

Or you coast to a stop every time.

(Dont actually mean to call you a liar, but thats close to twice what most 93ss owners get)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Elder

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
Lies.

(Dont actually mean to call you a liar, but thats close to twice what most 93ss owners get)
Either he's a liar - really lucky, or just hasn't looked at his inside pads
for your repair needs

Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
SAAB Road Master

I can back up his claim, I've put 40,000 on my brakes and my first set lasted 49,000 miles. I do cruise around a lot and pace so I can engine break though.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #25
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Idk why the 9-3ss's are proportioning their rear brakes to do most of the braking from the rear. Seems kind of odd since most of the weight is in the front of the car. Anyway, I was wondering if you could use the proportional valves that do more of a 50-50 distribution, as mentioned earlier, on the 2004 9-3's.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #26

I GOT A 2007 9-3 v6 have 21k need brakes!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #27

I went 62,000 on my rear brakes for my 2006 9-3SS Aero. My wife drives 80% hwy/ 20% city. We had about next to nothing left on the pads.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #28
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
Lies.

No lies my friends. Don't flip out, I have 71,000 and still no brakes put in. I guess I'm really lucky. You can ask my dealer if you like. I drive mostly highway everyday and don't make many stops. Now, I will be putting brakes in soon. I look at them every oil change and spring and fall when I change tires. I am suprised I've gotten that much out of them too. Trust me.
I have gone through 4 sets of tires though.

I don't drive hills(mnts) etc. Never use the e-brake. It's pretty flat here...

I wouldn't believe it either except I've owned it since new.

Last edited by brummo; 11-03-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to soggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
Idk why the 9-3ss's are proportioning their rear brakes to do most of the braking from the rear. Seems kind of odd since most of the weight is in the front of the car. Anyway, I was wondering if you could use the proportional valves that do more of a 50-50 distribution, as mentioned earlier, on the 2004 9-3's.
The car will adjust braking pressure to the individual wheels in order to correct itself if you lose control. A proportioning valve will not work on this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee3i67FGwE0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
Saab released a Bulletin that the Ebrakes were set too tight at the factory and accelerating pad wear in the rear the e-brake adj needs to be loosened. it has nothing to do with the braking proportion
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #31
SAABeginner

I've owned a MY07 Aero and currently own a MY09 XWD. MY07 rear brakes wore out (metal to metal) at 26K Dealer replaced both rear caliper's, probably should have checked the e-brake back lash as this was more than likely the culprit, Iíve driven with other GM cars in SCCA sanctioned events and NASA High Performance Driving Events without the kind of brake problems Iím seeing with non-spirited street driving. Saab's will brake with rears heavier and is part of its performance spirited setup. They try to mimic the BMW, but the BMW just feels more solid with its braking performance than the SAAB, but I'm on a quest to tune my brake system to see if I can get better braking response. Example, you mash the brakes on a BMW and peoples back teeth are coming out of their mouth. You mash a Saab and the peddle goes to the floor, pulse sates real bad, everybodyís fillings and teeth stay in place.

I had my 09 XWD in to the dealership and told him about the rear brake dragging while I back up and the spongy peddle feel. After a couple hours he comes back says everything is normal but he did alert me to the e-brake notice and double checked the e-brake measurement and it was all within code. I talked him into re-bleeding the brake system and it did remove some of the spongy peddle feel. But it's back now, so I think there is condensation build-up in there, and I just need to flush the entire system and start anew.

One of the (many) things Iím impressed about the MY09 Aero is the massive front brakes. We should have much better braking performance than what is felt. That's why I'm on a crusade to figure this thing out. I'm going to test every option and see what works and what doesn't. For example I'm not going out and buying steel braided brake lines if I still have condensation in my lines, etc. I'll keep you posted on my efforts and results.

Patrick Strobel
New - 2009 Aero XWD - Auto
Old - 2007 Aero - Manual
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Just did rear pads and rotors on my Mom's 07 9-3 Anniversary 2.0T at 41k miles. Inner pads were worn much worse than the outers.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #33

I put new pads on my 2007 Saab 9-3 and about 10K miles later the calipers started to stick...Im going to pull them apart and inspect the problem soon...I am not really familiar with the quality or lack there of with the turn type pistons for the caliper...I used copper grease, but perhaps I need to use something on the piston as well...
Old 08-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #34
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to Cologne Send a message via Skype™ to Cologne
GM cars since the 80's have had problems with their rear disc brakes. the early 90's luminas / grand prix's with the rear disc brakes had 20,000 mile calipers. They never can seem to fix it.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:00 AM   #35
SAABeginner

in my case i'm facing these problems:
Screeching, grinding, squealing, rubbing, and other eardrum-piercing noises are common indicators that your brake pads & shoes require inspection.
Vibration and pulsation in the pedal or your steering wheel.
Pressing down farther to complete braking functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in