9-3 SS for 1st car?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
SAABeginner

9-3 SS for 1st car??

Hello, I'm looking for a '04 9-3 Linear for a first car for a 16yr old. What do you guys think of this? I'm just looking for thoughts on this. I'm ruling out the hatchback years, he just really like the sedan, and he will keep this for all of his school days, including university. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
You are a very generous father! 04 they eliminated the 6sp manual due to issues. The 5sp manual is just fine as is the auto. Look out for stereo/display issues on all models. IIRC it has to do w/ the fiber optic relays..? Also I belive there where a few ECU re-flashes make sure those are all up to date by calling the Saab dealer. The 9-3SS is a great fun safe car!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Elder

Oh boy... different strokes for different folks...

I think your nuts.

Insurance is crazy on these SS cause of the dozen airbags, hence mine being for sale. I have USAA (military insurance) and just 2 minor speeding tickets in 6 years of driving so my insurance is as low as can be.

If I wanted to drive when I was 16, I had to work to pay for the added cost of insurance on my parents policy. Somehow I managed to not only do that, but by the time I was 17 I also purchased my own car, a 1996 900SE Turbo Coupe with 84,000 miles, which cost me 7900$ in 2000.

Why rule out the hatchback years based on a teenager's preference? Who cares what he wants... LOL.
He's getting a car ! Beggers can't be choosers.He should be ecstatic to get a Honda Civic, let alone a European turbocharged Sport Sedan.

I think a mid 90's SAAB that requires only liability insurance and a few thousand in the bank for possible repairs is the way to go. Its Safe, still fun and much easier to maintain yourself. Maybe money is no object... I don't know. I gaurantee with any car he will have an expensive mishap before he's out of University.

Just my .02 colored by my own expierence, please don't take offense!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Elder

My insurance is dirt cheap. 24 y/o, 3 speeding tickets, totaled car via deer, etc.

I pay $600/6mo with full coverage.

The car is super safe. Gets good gas mileage. The stability program works surprisingly well. Handles well.

Only thing I miss is the hatch, something that will come in hand in college for moving stuff around, etc.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Elder

We have different definitions of cheap.

My 1997 900SE costs me 241$ / 6 mos.

After rereading my post (which is colored by jealousy!) I just wanted to add that before I could drive I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways, over hot coals with my younger brother on my back. Seriously.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
x2. I'm in college right now. Get him either a 9000 cs/cse/aero(if your nice ) or a ng900/og9-3. The hatchback is invaluable for a college bound kid transporting there stuff. You'll be amazed at what you can get in the hatch with the seats all the way folded down in the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post

I pay $600/6mo with full coverage.
I pay less than that for two people and two saabs.

also, i think the hatch is super useful for college, going back and forth you can carry alot more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 09-06-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
hatch will DEF fit ton's more than the SS.

If you buy an SS, try to find an 05 if you can, as i think they are more reliable in terms of electricals. Also, make sure get one with a warranty. The SS continues saab's lineage of extremely safe cars. 2005 9-3 Aero's were hot.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

I have to agree with NickTurbo 900 on this one...

Your car is an 03 and your considering getting your son an 04....

Bought my son a new bike the other day - $23 at Walmart...(he's 6)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/413277006.html

^CLICK ME^
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeym View Post
I have to agree with NickTurbo 900 on this one...

Your car is an 03 and your considering getting your son an 04....

Bought my son a new bike the other day - $23 at Walmart...(he's 6)
that's not always a good rule to go by . My dad has a newer 9-5 but he wants my 9k.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboy View Post
that's not always a good rule to go by . My dad has a newer 9-5 but he wants my 9k.
I have an '03 and I would give anything to have back my Dad's old 197? Black on Red Velour, 99 turbo coupe.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Elder

IMO you should be looking at cars with less than 100 hp. Unless he's been doing something like shifter cart racing, it takes awhile to develop driving skills.

Of course a lot depends upon his maturity level and whether he even likes cars or not. Some people just don't care about cars other than that they don't break down. I know how I drive and what I was like when I was 16...

Either way you go, if you have the means, it would be a great investment to pay for him to attend a real driving school.

If it were me, I'd be looking at old Mercedes diesels. They're pretty cool/unique and they run forever, they're tanks, and don't do too badly for fuel consumption...they're also slow like a glacier, so a beginning driver has time to process and react.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
SAABeginner

I can find '04 with about 40K for around $14K, or with about 100K at under $10K. Most older (hatch) 9-3 run between $7K to $10K, but all have more miles, so what's the better long term buy?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
Elder

Why do you want to buy a 16 year old such a nice car?

I'm not trying to critcize your decision, just trying to understand the rational.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
IMO you should be looking at cars with less than 100 hp. Unless he's been doing something like shifter cart racing, it takes awhile to develop driving skills.

Of course a lot depends upon his maturity level and whether he even likes cars or not. Some people just don't care about cars other than that they don't break down. I know how I drive and what I was like when I was 16...

Either way you go, if you have the means, it would be a great investment to pay for him to attend a real driving school.

If it were me, I'd be looking at old Mercedes diesels. They're pretty cool/unique and they run forever, they're tanks, and don't do too badly for fuel consumption...they're also slow like a glacier, so a beginning driver has time to process and react.
I also have a '96 Passat TDI that he is sooooo tired of, because we drove it everywhere for the last 4 years.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #17
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenh View Post
I also have a '96 Passat TDI that he is sooooo tired of, because we drove it everywhere for the last 4 years.

Perfect. You could do alot worse than that for a first car. Good mileage, somewhat safe, and large enough to haul stuff around.

I think everyone should have a semi-lousy car for their first vehicle.

It will make them appreciate a nice car down the road.

Also, I would go with a "hatch" style saab. There are more parts around, and the were pretty well dialed in at the end of the production run. Just look out for sludge...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #18
Elder

i think a 9-3 hatch, or a 98 900set would be great!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #19
Elder

I think the SS is fine. Nothing wrong with having a nice car as a kid. You can still appreciate things and not be a waste of flesh.

I had a 2000 9-3 and a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE as my two cars in highschool and college.

And I turned out all right.

I don't see a problem with spending 14k on a car for a 16 y/o if I knew he/she would take care of it.

And they depreciate like bricks so why not take advantage? You get moderate mileage ones in the $12-15k range, what else can you buy at that price point with similar miles that is just as safe?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #20
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
I think a ng900, n/a, hatch would do just fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in