9-3 SS for 1st car?? - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #21
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cpenning623
I got the 9-3 hatch as a 16 year old, although I'd rather have the sedan. I think its a good first car. Its safe, good looking, and pretty muc reliable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #22
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I would say yes the hatch for all practical reasons is the best with Saab. I also agree on the Merc diesels and VW TDI's.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #23
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Why do you want to buy a 16 year old such a nice car?

It's not that nice of a car. Why does everyone have such a problem with parents buying their kids a Saab even if it's used? It's not particularly fast with only 175hp, but it's certainly enough to get up to speed in a reasonable amount of time and it's one of the safest cars on the road today. To me, that's a great combination for a first time driver. Besides, it's not like this guy is buying his kid an Evo or STI.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #24
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero1116 View Post
It's not that nice of a car. Why does everyone have such a problem with parents buying their kids a Saab even if it's used? It's not particularly fast with only 175hp, but it's certainly enough to get up to speed in a reasonable amount of time and it's one of the safest cars on the road today. To me, that's a great combination for a first time driver. Besides, it's not like this guy is buying his kid an Evo or STI.
Actually it is a nice car. There are many many hard working adults driving around sub-$1000 dollar Beretta's and Maxima's, for example.

I wonder why you don't think it's that nice of a car?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 AM   #25
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
I think 16 year olds will find a way to drive fast regardless of what kind of car they drive. I have no problem with some parents buying their kids a brand new sports car, if they crash it its no loss to me just simply cleaning out the gene pool. I think its good that he is at least buying a very safe car because I think that is what is most important for a first car. Most kids will have a wreck of some size by the time they are 18 or 20 so pick their hunk of metal wisely. I dont think it is a great investment to get a nice car as a first car because of this fact but Saabs do have bad enough resale values that a good deal can certainly be found.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #26
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenh View Post
I can find '04 with about 40K for around $14K, or with about 100K at under $10K. Most older (hatch) 9-3 run between $7K to $10K, but all have more miles, so what's the better long term buy?
Well 9-3ss' at 14k are not done depreciating yet. But if you buy a older 9-3 you will likely be getting more for the money. You can get a 60k mile 00-02 9-3 that has had many wear items replaced for $6-8k. Or buy a 40k 04+ that will still have lots of things to replace as it ages and it will depreciate far faster than the cheaper car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 AM   #27
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Any teenage male that has balls attached to him is going to kick the crap out of his first car. I second the old Mercedes Diesel suggestion. a 300D or 300SD are good choices, though if you are a real ass, get him a 240D. Alternatively, something with a little more pep would be nice, say... a volvo 240 wagon?

getting a pre 18 year old kid a nice car is a stupid idea, it's just going to get all wrecked up. Now if he buys it himself, that's another matter.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #28
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Actually it is a nice car. There are many many hard working adults driving around sub-$1000 dollar Beretta's and Maxima's, for example.

I wonder why you don't think it's that nice of a car?
and I totally agree on this. when I don't drive an either old (or base model) Saab, I drive an old Pontiac. A saab is out of the price range the average American spends on a car, and about 5X as much as some people make in a year on some foreign countries... Not a nice car? maybe... but sure isn't cheap.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
Any teenage male that has balls attached to him is going to kick the crap out of his first car. I second the old Mercedes Diesel suggestion. a 300D or 300SD are good choices, though if you are a real ass, get him a 240D. Alternatively, something with a little more pep would be nice, say... a volvo 240 wagon?

getting a pre 18 year old kid a nice car is a stupid idea, it's just going to get all wrecked up. Now if he buys it himself, that's another matter.
I disagree completely. Any responsible parent should know better than to buy his kid (assuming they are buying a car for their kid) a 15+ year old car that could hardly pass today's safety standards. Also, since you guys live up north, cars are also more prone to rust. Good luck finding a Volvo 240 or Merc 300 that has absolutely no rust or is not falling apart already. Lastly, a rwd car in an area that snows a lot? Wonderful parenting.

I'll be honest, if I can afford it, I will buy my kids a newish car that is safe and that I know it will not break down on them every other day of the week.

Quote:
getting a pre 18 year old kid a nice car is a stupid idea, it's just going to get all wrecked up
Wonderful generalization. I got a Grand Cherokee at 16. Never wrecked it once. Also, assuming Cpen's parents bought him his Saab, you are pretty much calling his and my parent's stupid for buying us cars.

Last edited by aero1116; 09-07-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #30
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
I won't question your parenting choices, I think it's great that you want to buy your son a 9-3. I would recommend an older 9-3, though, for practical reasons. Much more "hauling stuff" potential, which will come in handy when it's time to move his own ass to college Plus, it's getting much easier to find cheap replacement parts, and the cars themselves are less expensive.

Almost everyone I knew in high school totalled their first cars, a safe car is a good bet but an expensive safe car is kind of like roasting marshmallows over a campfire built from a large pile of cash...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #31
Elder

Quote:
I got a Grand Cherokee at 16. Never wrecked it once. Also, assuming Cpen's parents bought him his Saab, you are pretty much calling his and my parent's stupid for buying us cars.
I do indeed. Dubious at best...
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM   #32
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by escalator guru View Post

Almost everyone I knew in high school totalled their first cars, a safe car is a good bet but an expensive safe car is kind of like roasting marshmallows over a campfire built from a large pile of cash...
exactly, and I saw the same thing in HS. Buying a kid a nice fast car is like lighting money (and possibly your kid) on fire.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #33
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
On the price of a og9-3 what you said would be reasonable for a well maintained og9-3. However if you look in the right spots you can find a 99 9-3 S or SE which will have the B204 (T5 motor) which is less prone to sludging and will have less headaches maintainance wise. Its also much easier to work on and a great teaching tool to learn basic mechanics skills.

I bought my 99 9-3 SE for 3000 and then spent another 2000 on an aftermarket warranty which has repaid 1/5 of itself so far by getting me a brand new DI (400 bucks basically).

If possible make your son pay you each car payment so that he is earning the car. I have nothing against providing a kid there first car but not something they really want. If they want it they should earn it by working, getting a loan or co-signing one, and then making every payment. I was provided a taurus, found my 9000 and co-signed and paid it off 3 years ago now, bought my 9-3 back in december and got the loan myself. Hard work pays off and builds your credit history.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #34
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Simple, first car should be a sub 3k beater that you only carry liability on and really dont care if he ditches.

relieabality is not an issue due to how often is he going to be 4 hours from home...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #35

Quote:
and that I know it will not break down on them every other day of the week.
With that being said, I personally would stay away from the 9.3ss and go with a 9.5 model since it sounds like your son doesn't like the hatchback look. 10k+ for a first car? Hey that's what insurance is for.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #36

[QUOTE=PoisonBeef;323350]Simple, first car should be a sub 3k beater [QUOTE]

X2 Give him something less expensive for a year, no incidents? Then treat him to nice car.

We're not saying that your son is going to be irresponsible. It's that one knucklehead friend he has that's telling him to "go faster", "race him" or "pass that car". That's what I would worry about.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #37
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
I think it's a great idea.

As long as the kid appreciates it and knows that money doesn't grow on trees, what's so bad about spoiling your kid a little if you can afford it?...especially when talking about something like a first car where safety and quality are extremely important.

I think it's bull to tell someone they should make their kid pay for their first car knowing that the kid won't be able to afford anything safe.

There are countless other ways to make a kid appreciate money and gain a good work ethic. I started working when I was 14 down at the beach in the summers to save up for my first car. Because I showed a good work ethic, and didn't expect my parents to buy anything for me they bought my first car, and second, and third. All I'm saying is that you don't need to make a kid suffer for him to learn a lesson.

I say get him the car.

Last edited by griffen nut; 09-08-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #38
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen nut View Post
I think it's bull to tell someone they should make their kid pay for their first car knowing that the kid won't be able to afford anything safe.
I'll only comment on the one part of this... since when is a Merc W123 or W126 or volvo 240 not safe? These are cars that asside from the lack of airbags, would match or beat many modern cars in terms of safety. the W126 was the #1 bar none safest car on the roads in the real world for many years... Just because a car is cheap does not mean it's not safe. you can easily get a sub $2000 car that will run good, look good, and be almost as safe as a "new" $30K+ car

and Griffen nut, you are not to talk about being responsible with a car... If I recall, your car had to have a cyl. head replaced for... debatable reasons. I bet that wasn't free.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #39
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

and Griffen nut, you are not to talk about being responsible with a car... If I recall, your car had to have a cyl. head replaced for... debatable reasons. I bet that wasn't free.
You're right, it wasn't free. I paid the $1,400 to have the new head replaced.

The point I'm trying to make is why is it frowned upon getting a 16 year old kid a nice, safe car if the parent is in the position to do so.

Everyone has basically responded, "Don't give the kid a nice car, I had to work for mine."
Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
The Passat TDI would be fine for a first car. Trust me, the first car will have been in atleast a fender bender by the end of HS, even if you think your son is the best teenage driver in the world.

The other thing is that a slightly under powered car teaches you to think ahead before executing something like getting on freeways. If I hadn't my old 9k($600 of my money), I wouldn't be respecting the power my Aero has now.

After saying that, if you still want to spend that sorta money on a first car, get something like an older 9-5 wagon. And to give you an idea of the safety you can get from inexpensive cars, see my post in the dearly departed section. That 9k was the best 600 bucks I ever spent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in