Why is my viggen not performing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
TSLMember

Why is my viggen not performing

I just recently took it to the drags. This was my first time but when the night was over I was really upset at my results. I got a 15 flat for a 1/4 mile. My girlfriend and I have the same exact viggen except hers is stock and we both got the same times. I had a little better reaction time aswell.

I thought maybe it was my exhaust holding me back but now that I took a look under Im pretty sure I have the whole Remus cat back which is supposed to be the best. I also looked at my boost gauge and I was jumping to 20 psi and then right away dropping to 16.I didnt race adapt it but that cant slow the car down too much. I just recently upgraded to NGK iridium spark plugs to help with boost too. I have all of these mods and Im absolutely clueless why both viggens are performing the same times.

Maptun Stg 3

3" Downpipe with GenSaab race cat

Remus piping and Muffler

GenSaab upgraded intake

Group9 upgraded Intercooler

HX Hyperboost bypass valve

Spec Stg 3 clutch

Can anyone help shed some light on this? Id like to know whats wrong

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
What do the 60' times look like between you and your wife?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
TSLMember

My first gear was sloppy because I heard the track was covered with oil so I started semi slow.

Hers was 2.523 and mine was 2.621
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Hunter, try unplugging your ECU and re-adapting it, what do you normally boost to and hold with stage 3? Possibly a boost leak somewhere...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
TSLMember

Unplug my ecu or unplug my battery?

When I was coming back from having my clutch done about 3 months ago I remember holding a solid 20PSI on the highway. I havent adjusted any hoses since. Where would I go to have a boost leak check performed?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Elder

Any autozone or shit can do a smoke test, you can either pull the fuse for you ECU or unplug your battery for 10 or so minutes, then take it out on the highway and do a bunch of 3rd, 4th and 5th gear runs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
TSLMember

Which fuse is the ECU? I dont think the panel has it
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Elder

uh iridium plugs?

whats thw model number on those?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
TSLMember

Yeah jon chartier told me theyre better then copper
Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Elder

You need to run NGK 7 series, BCP RES 7 something like that...

Quote:
Old 09-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

yea.... the DI's are very finicky..... I have always been told to ONLY use the OEM saab NGK's, 7 something.... is the model

I heard Paul from Automotion state anytime new plugs are added you must adapt the ECU. Since you went with something non-OEM it's probably more critical

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 09-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
TSLMember

Mine are 6 I believe
Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Elder

Yea, try the 7 series, they are a colder plug and while it may seem like something so little it can actually make a huge difference.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
Elder

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...products_id=92
Check that out, you want the BCPR7ES-11's.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Besides the mechanical issues you may have your 60fts are killing you. Yours wifes 15.0 is pretty much what they run DEAD stock.

Trexturk on here ran a 14.2 in his stage 4 LPT 2.0(viggen turbo, GS IC, full exhuast) and put down 2.2x 60fts. For every tenth off your 60ft is two off your 1/4. So right there you would be in the low 14's if you can get the same 60 fts. Did you air down your tires? 21-23 psi usually works well.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #16
TSLMember

Ive never heard of airing down your tires. Dropping them to 21-23 psi makes better times? I would think a higher psi would be better
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
TSLMember

BCPR7ES-11 is only copper correct? Or do they make that model with different metals?

Edit: Copper/Plat BCPR7ES-11 Iridium BCPR7EIX-11 (5691)

Last edited by HOTiSO; 09-24-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

the lower psi deflates the tire giving it more surface area against the asphalt, at the expense of steering feel and overall handling.

Atleast with the T-5 system BCPR7ES-11 are the only acceptable sparkplugs unless the car is tuned and designed for platnium plugs...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTiSO View Post
Ive never heard of airing down your tires. Dropping them to 21-23 psi makes better times? I would think a higher psi would be better
Higher tire pressure (to a certain extent) is better for handling, whereas lower pressure (to a certain extent) is generally better for straight-line traction.

Just don't be a tool and lower the pressure so much that the front bumper scrapes the ground everytime you brake... the driver of an Integra I ran against last time I was at the strip did that. It didn't help him much

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Sorry to interupt
I'm running Stage4 in my 9-3, using spark plugs 1289 NGK BCPR7ES

ARe these the right plugs for my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in