Why is my viggen not performing - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
Elder

yeah you need the 7es-11 not the 7eix shit di's hate iridium and were designed around copper plugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray View Post
Sorry to interupt
I'm running Stage4 in my 9-3, using spark plugs 1289 NGK BCPR7ES

ARe these the right plugs for my car?
Yep...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #23
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I purchased my plugs from Nick & this is what he sent me for my viggen

NGK PFR6H-10

vs the plugs he sold me for my dad's 9-3 convert

NGK BCPR7ES-11

Saabless for the first time since 1986

Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #24
Trollerator
Elder

my advice is to use the correct plugs BCPRES7-11

also try with the stock airbox and panel filter...

I thought Maptun required full 3" pipes for stage 3

I had their stage 1 and they are very careful to tune things back for hot intake temps, and they really REALLY HATE cone filter intakes. I put the stock airbox with JR panel filter and I got a much faster feel to the car

if none of that helps I'd do as other suggested and check for leaks

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
What was your trap speed? Your 60' is horrible. You really need to work on that. Many races are won by how well you launch. I beat cars in the 1/4 I had no business beating - Mustang GT, 305 swapped S-10s, C4 Corvettes - simply because I could launch my car.

And really, stock these cars only run 15 flat? That can't be right. I ran [email protected] in my Golf 1.8T and surely a stock Viggen, putting down anywhere from 195-220whp, would do more than that. My Golf was modded but only put down what a stock 2.3T should.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #26
Avid TSL User

What are other people in stock Viggens running? Personally, I ran a 15 flat without launching it and have a terrible reaction time. I also didn't know you should deflate your tires a slight bit at the track haha. I have heard they will run 14.0s.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #27
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
my advice is to use the correct plugs BCPRES7-11

also try with the stock airbox and panel filter...
Im getting the plugs to install today

Im not too sure about the airbox. Id really have to test it
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #28
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
What was your trap speed? Your 60' is horrible. You really need to work on that. Many races are won by how well you launch. I beat cars in the 1/4 I had no business beating - Mustang GT, 305 swapped S-10s, C4 Corvettes - simply because I could launch my car.

And really, stock these cars only run 15 flat? That can't be right. I ran [email protected] in my Golf 1.8T and surely a stock Viggen, putting down anywhere from 195-220whp, would do more than that. My Golf was modded but only put down what a stock 2.3T should.
you must remember that in 1st & 2nd gear we do not have 210-230 whp but under 200 whp. This is why they are slow & have high trap speeds! I think 14.8-15.0 is the norm for a stock viggen at 96-98 mph

Also, if you look at eeuroparts site they list the 7 series NGK plug for viggens. While genuinesaab lists the 6 series which is what I have

Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #29
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I say perfectly driven 14.7-14.9 at 98-99mph. Moski on here ran 14.7 or 14.8 at 99mph. My motor trend for 99 has 14.7 at 98mph but alot have 14.9-15.0. Highest trap speed I have seen is the article with the red 5door and 98.4mph.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #30
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Were you spinning like crazy on launch?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #31
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
You g/f's Viggen used to belong to TurboRush. he dynoed with us in Maine on June 3 2005. I beleive he put down like 230 and 270
Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #32
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to TurboRush91
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
You g/f's Viggen used to belong to TurboRush. he dynoed with us in Maine on June 3 2005. I beleive he put down like 230 and 270
Correct.

What were your trap speeds? Compare yours to hers, that'll tell you if its a power issue or a driver issue.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
you must remember that in 1st & 2nd gear we do not have 210-230 whp but under 200 whp. This is why they are slow & have high trap speeds! I think 14.8-15.0 is the norm for a stock viggen at 96-98 mph

Also, if you look at eeuroparts site they list the 7 series NGK plug for viggens. While genuinesaab lists the 6 series which is what I have
I know. If anything having boost limited in 1st and 2nd would help the 60', not slow it way down. I'm hoping to make it to the track before the season ends so I'll find out for myself I guess.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #34
Flirting With TSL Addiction

How did your trap speeds compare?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #35
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
I know. If anything having boost limited in 1st and 2nd would help the 60', not slow it way down. I'm hoping to make it to the track before the season ends so I'll find out for myself I guess.
it's kinda like traction controll however the power is reduced so much that there are no traction issues with the proper tires. Thus.... with more power in the lower gears the times would definantly drop. But like you are implying... to much power & you will go slower or you must learn to modulate throttle to eliminate the dredded 1 tire burnouts!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #36
Elder

With 60fts as high as 2.6x like mentioned, if your car isnt trapping substantially higher than your wifes (i.e 98-99mph vs 103-5mph for yours) then there is absolutely something physically wrong.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #37
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I say perfectly driven 14.7-14.9 at 98-99mph. Moski on here ran 14.7 or 14.8 at 99mph. My motor trend for 99 has 14.7 at 98mph but alot have 14.9-15.0. Highest trap speed I have seen is the article with the red 5door and 98.4mph.
My first run I took on the drag strip was a terrible time like 15.7 I think. But I ran it at 101. So I'm pullin good. And that was on a summer evening. I wish I still had the slip. I'd post it up.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #38
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Viggen View Post
My first run I took on the drag strip was a terrible time like 15.7 I think. But I ran it at 101. So I'm pullin good. And that was on a summer evening. I wish I still had the slip. I'd post it up.
My EVO freind gets annoyed when I have no slips to prove that people have trapped at 98+ bone stock in Viggens. You guys gotta save your slips. I saved about 100 slips all dating back 5 years. I finally through them away a month ago after the car was sold for almost a year lol.

I bet your 60fts were pretty nasty, again like 2.6-2.7 to run that time with that trap.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #39

Hehe I just threw out the slips from my Golf. But not before I scanned them all
Old 09-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #40
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Viggen View Post

I was only able to do one run that night and it was my very first one ever. I think Ill definitely improve when I go back wednesday just for driving issues.

I installed BCPR7ES-11s today and the boost is at a much more steady rate. They were gapped to .040. However it does drop to 16PSI still 90% of the time. I once had it staying at 19PSI in 5th on the Highway. I might have a boost leak or it could be my software.

Im getting a stock airbox and throwing a JR in aswell. After Abdukted mentioned it I started to think back on all the crazy modified 93s on Maptuns website. All of them had stock air boxes and I never knew why.

Im also going to Commercial Tech Wednesday before I go to the tracks to have Jon check for any sort of Boost leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in