1987/86 spg project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
SAABeginner

1987/86 spg project

Hello all,
I have been lurking here for awhile. I haven't posted till now because of not much going on. I have had this 87 spg for a few years and have been slowly improving it. It came to me as an 87'. The car has an 89' turbo trans an 89' engine. The car has some mods: a fmic, a SD ported head with the red series cams, an "ebay special" t3 t4. The bumpers needed a refirb so I did the logical thing and flat fronted the car. This took me about two years as I had to collect the parts and every single part needed a refresh and new hardware. The aftermarket wheels weren't for me so I put on a set of Ronal silver spokes that I painted black (yes i know they're softer). I also have an oem whale tail that I'm in the process of fixing.

The interior is in nice shape except for the dash. The car came with a new seat cover for the driver's seat but I discovered after I hacked up the old one that it is for later style seats so it remains with the wrong seat cover . I added accessory gauges in the lower cubby. It needs a new set of floor mats in the front. I was thinking a set of saab waffle mats would do the trick. I like the old saab stuff and want to keep/enhance the retro saab feel.

The car also has a three inch exhaust from the turbo back. SD aluminum flywheel and the 6 puck setup that they recommended back in the day. It is very jerky and requires utmost concentration for smoothness and not stalling from a start. It accelerates violently when boost comes on. I have seen 20+ lbs boost. I think it is an open ended SD boost set up.(?) Don't worry I haven't been flogging it, just driving it gently till I can get it t5ed in the near future as money allows.

Future plans include suspension overhaul, I think its sitting on turbo springs (black ones) has some kyb shocks that suck,short shifter, more gauges new seats as I am too tall for the stock seats. saab momo wheel if I can find one, and a dash fix. Maybe I'll cover it with vinyl; it's a real eyesore now. I have a rust spot in the drivers side door sill that i don't like to think about, and a bubble starting in one of the fenders, but the paint is nice everywhere (I don't think its original) except the roof where the clear coat is faded in a couple spots. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out of this introduction. I also want to make a shout out to my dad for helping me with a lot of this stuff. He passed the saab disease to me. When I was a kid we had an 85 silver 4dr and have been obsessed since. Here are a few pics. The engine pic is from before the flat fronting was done. I'll post some more pictures including "before" and "after" soon.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01471__1409360285_76.119.167.33.jpg (51.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01473__1409360348_76.119.167.33.jpg (55.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01441__1409360419_76.119.167.33.jpg (34.6 KB, 81 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Very nice! Welcome!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice! Great looking car, jealous of the condition of your grill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Open ended boost setup? Sounds like your waste gate is disconnected?

Cool car, looks great! And I see you're in NH! Hopefully I'll be getting some sort of BBQ/cruise together soon. Keep your eyes pealed.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Hey, thanks for the compliments. Cark the waste gate is hooked up, I'm just surprised at the amount of boost sometimes. Though I know a lot about c900s as far as being a mechanic pshhhhhhhh, I'm learning as I go. The car wants to keep pulling but usually cuts boost like a wall in the higher revs. I know it has a lot more potential with t5. Cruise sounds awesome. Turbo00, the grill came to me with cracks right through it no bottom tabs and no top mounting brackets left. I made bottom tabs with screws and nuts and top brackets with aluminum sheeting, then painted it with duplicolor bumper coating (pretty much the whole front). I want to repaint that gold emblem on it, has what looks like 100000 miles worth of pitting on it but cant find a paint that looks the same, brass I think. Here is some before pics.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01435__1409437332_76.119.167.33.jpg (31.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01445__1409437518_76.119.167.33.jpg (78.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Hey everyone, I thought I'd make an update now that the good weather season has arrived. I got a good list of projects to do on the car starting with fixing some bubbling on the rear driver side fender under the black strip (not bad). I also have a spot in my drivers side foot well that I'm hoping to get done soon. (bad)
I have an ongoing whaletail project which seems to be the norm hahah. I have the composite section relatively free of waves and removed the metal strip running through the center i have a new strip the same size ready to go in. I'm hoping to use the metal that's still in the sides of the whaletail rubber it isn't rusty like the middle is well see how it goes. I'll try to post some pics as I progress.
Hopefully soon I can go through the suspension and clean it up. I want the car to handle as good as it can (on stock wheels). I really like the idea of the adjustable setup with bilsteins or konis. I'm going to need a skid plate. I want to get this done before I T5 the car.
I have an old turbo cluster with the TURBO logo and 8k tach. Also have a 140 mph speedo cluster. Has anyone put a 140 speedo in the old style cluster? I'm just wondering what issues I'm going to run into. i also have a saab S&R wheel circa 1980. I'll get some pictures up soon. Here are a few pics of the car from a few weeks back. Bumper was off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (79.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg c2.jpg (108.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg c3.jpg (93.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Elder

Such a great looking car! We need to set up some sort of gathering soon. I'm up on Newfound Lake in Bristol.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
SAABeginner

I'd love to meet up. Is there anything planned around here? If not, I'd love to meet up somewhere. You gotta give me a ride in your T5 85.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Jeez, how did I miss this one. Love the old-school SD gear! I've heard some cool stuff about their red series cams and always wanted to try them, but sounds like your accelleration is a bit more than I'm looking for. We should do a NH/VT get together this summer for those of us who are too far out to make it to any of the other gatherings.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #10
Elder

Great looking flat nose! Welcome to TSL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
Elder

Great looking car aside from the black painted wheels. No offense, just not a black wheel fan
Old 05-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
SAABeginner

I wouldn't take a offense. I want your opinions good or bad. Black wheels make sense to me here no chrome on the car anywhere with black trim. I'm pretty sure the Shelby version came in a black with polished lip anyway so its still in the realm of saab to me.
Today I picked up all the stuff i need to do my fender lip I'll probably start it tomorrow. I need to source 4 new wheel arch trim pieces that work for the flatfront kit. When I changed over to flatfront the arch trim no longer tucks into the spg panels (not long enough). Are these a saab specific part or can i find a trim that will work? I have a set of airflow fender flares laying around for the post 87 kit, I wonder if I could modify those to extend a little further hmm.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #13
SAABeginner

oiledsaab said:
Quote:
The car came with a new seat cover for the driver's seat but I discovered after I hacked up the old one that it is for later style seats so it remains with the wrong seat cover
Just a thought on the seat skins - If the "later style seat" is not right because it came from a power seat, and has a short outer flap and a good length flap next to the center console, I have a suggestion. Take your passengers lower seat skin and put it on the drivers seat lower. Then take the one with a short left flap and put it onto the passengers seat. I've used a couple from passengers side to reskin the drivers side seat, and stuff like that. Works quite well.

Quote:
Has anyone put a 140 speedo in the old style cluster?
I THINK it would fit, but you'll need to replace your existing speedo cable with the '89(?) and up one with the white plastic coupling at the speedo rear. The newer style should fit your transmission fine, I THINK.

Nice rims, and keep up the good work! Vern
Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Thanks for the input Vern.
So there's a drain inside the lower panel that extends back to the rear wheel arch. This drain must have been clogged for some time and caused a rust hole to form both in my door jam then rear wheel arch ughhh. I'll get some pics up soon. I know I keep saying this. I have a good camera setup but I suck at converting pictures to jpeg and such. They are way to huge. what image hosting site should I use?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Elder

I have a gmail account so I just use google to host my pics. Works well for me.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Awesome flatnose.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
SAABeginner

So after some poking and grinding I'm looking at buying a mig welder so i can do this myself. Its going to be a bigger pain than i was hoping. I don't want to post rust pics to depressing. Here is some good stuff I'm going to put in when i vinyl wrap the dash this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phplf29AsPM.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg phpIcvVD4PM.jpg (69.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
Elder

I had some pretty depressing rust on my 85, floor pans both sides. Fortunately due to the powers of TSL, I was able to get them fixed up and my mind was set at ease. Rust can be a killer to a lot of people, but where there is a will, there is a way. I'm excited because now I have a local friend with a welder, and he's doing lots of odds and ends to hone his skills. So by the time I need a repair, he should be all dialed in!

BTW, I'm trying to get some sort of get together going for the 30th of May, it's a Sunday, it would be great if you could make it!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
SAABeginner

I'll be there, where you thinking about meeting up?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
Elder

Central NH somewhere... will try and firm up a plan this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1986 spg, 1987 spg, spg flatfront

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in