Idling problems ("possibly" a vacuum leak) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Idling problems ("possibly" a vacuum leak)

Hey, all-
So I got the timing adjusted on the '86 900T, but I'm still having idling problems - The car will start up, but then dies after idling for a few seconds (when cold). When warm, it'll idle for a minute or more, but then same result. After checking out all the vacuum lines, I noticed that some were disconnected and/or cracked. I replaced the cracked ones, but I have no idea where some of the disconnected ones go (I only have a Haynes manual to work with, and they omitted any kind of hose routing diagram - stupid). The first pic is of a T connector with one hose going to the top of the FPR, and the other into the intake manifold (and brake booster) - but the third connection is empty. I assume this is not by design?

The second pic is a larger hose coming from the APC area, and through the fender wall. I found it hanging in the engine bay...

The third pic is the throttle body, which has 3 hose barbs - only 2 of which are occupied. The one nearest the driver's side fo the car goes to the BPV, and the one nearest the passenger's side goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor. What's supposed to go in the middle (or are the ones that are there even hooked up correctly?)?

Also, I found a set of wires near the driver's headlight that were disconnected (see pic) any idea what they go to?

Can you guys tell me what hoses go where, and how things are supposed to be hooked up? I'm planning on driving the car up to my folk's place this weekend to show it to them, and don't want to have to worry about it all the way up there. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swedishassassin; 05-31-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

I also just cleaned the AIC with carb cleaner and WD40, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of the problem...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
JK
Elder

Not sure about the wires...but as far as the vac lines go, just hook the loose line into any space they can go as long as it is part of the vac line system coming from the intake maifold. Who knos why they are disconnected, and you might need to get longer lengths of hose to get them to the intake manifold or to a T connector, but that is what you need to do.

Also, check the bottom of the throttle body and intake manifold, sometimes SAAB lines to hid vacuum nipples under there.

Vacuum leaks are probably causeing your idle problems...especially with loose ends and unused/open vacuum nipples, but it could also be a problem with your AMM, or even the AIC (despite having cleaned it). I tried carb cleaner and WD40 once and the AIC actually siezed up on me causeing bad idle and the car to stall at idle. Try some foaming engine degreaser - make sure you let it soak inside (plug the holes with your hands and shake it around), and repeat this until the fluid come out clean. Then pour 10w-30 motor oil in it and again plug the holes and let it soak, then drain out the engine oil and reinstall it - its worth a shot!

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Okay, so as long as I connect the loose ends to some part of the vac system going to or from the intake manifold, I'm fine? I'm glad it's that easy

Is there any way to clean/repair the AMM? Or am I just goint to have to replace it if that's the culprit?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
As for the AMM just pick one up on ebay for $10 bucks and you will save yourself the headache of testing and tuning it. You may want to invest in some new silicone hoses all the way around. SAABsavior.com has a full kit for the car for like $60 I think for all the lines precut and ready to install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Also if you dont have the oil dipstick in right it will cause irradic idle and will blow oil all over the engine bay too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
i can tell you that in the third pic there where you highlited the nipple on the throttle body that mine is the same way. i dont know what it does, and maybe mines broken too haha, but mine runs pretty smoothly with no CEL's or anything so i dont think anything is supposed to be hooked up there.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

So what about the big line coming from the APC area? I tried hooking that up to the throttle body (empty spot), but that seemed to make things worse. Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Elder

if i recall (which i may not lol) that hose you are holding in the second picture goes to the empty spot on the t in the first picture. i just did all the hoses on my spg and i vaguely remember that going on a t. is the empty spot on th etb possibly where the line from the aid should go? i think that ran over to somewhere on/near the manifold area also...

Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
JK
Elder

The middle nipple on the TB should have a little rubber pice capping it off...otherwise it is a small vacuum leak in itself.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
you dont say? my car has the usual 900 'hunt' for an idle and the vaccuum gauge always slowly sweeps back and forth around 20mmHg. ill cap that off and maybe it will fix that.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
could it be the IAC motor itself?
i know yu probably dont have the equipment but maybe if you could get it to a shop they can pull it out and hook it up to a thurxton (?) forgot the name sigle unit IAC tester
see if the needle is moving as it should
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

I may just hit up the salvage yard before this weekend and pick up a new IAC and AMM just to be sure - the yards down here have some pretty low-mile and relatively complete c900s. I'll try plugging the TB nipple and hooking the other line into the t fitting...
Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishassassin
I may just hit up the salvage yard before this weekend and pick up a new IAC and AMM just to be sure - the yards down here have some pretty low-mile and relatively complete c900s. I'll try plugging the TB nipple and hooking the other line into the t fitting...
yeeah it might just be worth it... even if its a cracked hose...
just to keep as a spare..
nuthing wrong with the TB? no cracks or nothing..
the car is 20 years old...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the TB. Most parts in the engine bay actually seem to be in really good condition...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishassassin
Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the TB. Most parts in the engine bay actually seem to be in really good condition...
I spent lots of time replacing stuff when I first got the car so the distributor is rebuilt, the apc is new(er), the TB has been taken off and cleaned and smoothed (by previous owner) so it has had lots of extra stuff put on it.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #17
Elder

so sounds like vacuum hose issue....
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

I think I've got it under control. I was able to make a quick stop at the salvage yard this afternoon and got a new(ish) AMM and IAC. I also hooked the loose vacuum lines up (checked out the config on the scrap 900's), and now the car idles fine. It likes to sit a little high - just above 1k rpm - but that's better than dying on me. I drove it around, and it didn't stall at all for the 15 mins or so I was out. Thanks, everybody!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Elder

YAAEE!!
glad to hear..
cant yu lower the idle...
isnt there a screw on the TB for small idle adjusting?
i remembr doing it on my '82 NS when i was like 15...
didnt know what i was doing but it worked
Old 05-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #20
SAAB Road Master

No screw that's obvious - also, it only idles high when it's cold, it seems. After I drive it around for a while, it idles just about where it's supposed to (~850 rpms)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in