Keep Stock or Modify (SPG, ComEd, SiS...etc) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Keep Stock or Modify (SPG, ComEd, SiS...etc)

Looking for some opinions on the pros / cons of modifying the more 'collectible' SAAB 900 models. I'm referring more towards semi-permanent or permanent modifications such as:

- Re-painting a different / non-factory color.
- Re-upholstering the interior.
- Axle swap (relocate e-brake, updated calipers)

I ask because I finally got my '87 SPG imported into Canada from NY, and will be tearing it down for repaint this fall. I'd personally like it in another color other than Edwardian Grey. I also have some ideas on re-upholstering the seats, dash, and interior time pieces. On the fence as to whether I will regret it down the road.

For some context:

Stock:

Blue:

Silver:

Red:

Last edited by ninehundredt; 07-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Elder

I used to be a purest. But now I'm of the opinion that these cars are never going to bring big money--collectible or not. It will be ages before these cars are even worth what they were new--if ever. Make it what you want and enjoy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Are you keeping it as an investment to later sell?
Or did you buy it because its what YOU wanted?

If #2, then make the car your own, do what YOU want to do to it.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocon86 View Post
I used to be a purest. But now I'm of the opinion that these cars are never going to bring big money--collectible or not. It will be ages before these cars are even worth what they were new--if ever. Make it what you want and enjoy it.
Plus the engine management system is rudementary.

I hope T5 does what I expect; so in anticipation, rip out LH and go T5.

I have a nice box of LH stuff that didn't make it back onto my car.

It's amazing how much it lightens the load of components.

Mod it..m
My finger itched to change colour. But I am somewhat a perfectionist; I can't afford the paint job I would want, so I am sticking to stock colour...
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Like others have said, it depends.

In the long run, an unmodified SPG will likely be of more value to people than a modified SPG. A generalization, yes. But I think it's mostly true.

Color is important to 'the collectible' c900s. And color change is obviously relatively permanent. Your car looks nice. I wouldn't change the color of a quality Eddy Grey SPG. I think I would end up regretting it. But that's just me.

I would be less worried about modest mechanical modifications (such as the axle swap & brake changes), particularly if you can improve safety or overcome obvious flaws. Though a real purist might say it's a mistake to make such changes.

Concerning the interior, I wouldn't stray far from the original (or from the choices available to the buyer from the factory or original dealer).

To me it's a question of whether over time the pool of potential buyers would appreciate a given change or not. The fewer potential buyers who would appreciate it over time, the less likely I would be to make the change. Of course you and I might have different potential buyers in our minds. I've not bought and sold hundreds of cars but I have owned, restored to original & sold a muscle car (profitably). I've also owned 6 c900s, one of which I restored mostly to original and sold (also profitably). Lots of guys have owned / restored / bought / sold many more than this, though.

The secret for me has been having more than one c900. Not that I've done huge modifications. But I feel more free to fool around with one of my SPGs than the others. Best of both worlds in a way. I'm fortunate to be in this position.

Whichever way you go, congratulations on getting your SPG home. I imported two of the six c900s I've owned so know the procedure well. Best of luck!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
Like others have said, it depends.

In the long run, an unmodified SPG will likely be of more value to people than a modified SPG. A generalization, yes. But I think it's mostly true.

Color is important to 'the collectible' c900s. And color change is obviously relatively permanent. Your car looks nice. I wouldn't change the color of a quality Eddy Grey SPG. I think I would end up regretting it. But that's just me.

I would be less worried about modest mechanical modifications (such as the axle swap & brake changes), particularly if you can improve safety or overcome obvious flaws. Though a real purist might say it's a mistake to make such changes.

Concerning the interior, I wouldn't stray far from the original (or from the choices available to the buyer from the factory or original dealer).

To me it's a question of whether over time the pool of potential buyers would appreciate a given change or not. The fewer potential buyers who would appreciate it over time, the less likely I would be to make the change. Of course you and I might have different potential buyers in our minds. I've not bought and sold hundreds of cars but I have owned, restored to original & sold a muscle car (profitably). I've also owned 6 c900s, one of which I restored mostly to original and sold (also profitably). Lots of guys have owned / restored / bought / sold many more than this, though.

The secret for me has been having more than one c900. Not that I've done huge modifications. But I feel more free to fool around with one of my SPGs than the others. Best of both worlds in a way. I'm fortunate to be in this position.

Whichever way you go, congratulations on getting your SPG home. I imported two of the six c900s I've owned so know the procedure well. Best of luck!
Thanks. Importing was surprisingly painless. The edwardian grey SPG pictured is not my car. I just added it as an example. My car's clear coat is gone in many places, hence the need for a repaint (it spent most of it's life in Georgia from my understanding). I'm tempted to keep it the stock color, as it would make the repaint a little easier, but it would really look sharp in that blue color. Appreciate everybody's feedback. Hoping to startup a project thread soon.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
I agree with turbocon: do whatever you want to do to make the car as YOU wish! If you're going to go through the expense of repainting, you should definitely have no regrets. Go for the color of your dreams! Like people have said before, these cars shouldn't necessarily be looked at as investments, as they are not really appreciating in value at a high rate. As long as the car runs/drives good, and the paint job is a quality one, you will still have a true winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in