Best headlight bulbs? (poll inside) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What bulbs should i use?
PIAA extremes 2 16.67%
Sylvania Silverstars 5 41.67%
Sylvania xtravision 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
Elder

Best headlight bulbs? (poll inside)

so my spg needs new headlight bulbs because the stockers in there are probably 8 or so years old and are pretty dim. I want to stay stock wattage with a whiter light. Car has ecodes on it so keep that in mind. Ive used silverstars on my 9k and they were ok but not great...

what do you guys use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

I voted Xtravision because they really help visibility and are much cheaper and longer lasting than silverstar. silverstar are great but a real bitch because they often randomly burn out and they are not cheap.

I had some PIAA superplasma they looked totally purple and they were cool looking but I am not so sure they give better lighting performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
i have xtravisions in my car, much brighter than stock, im sure theyd be an even bigger difference for those in the spg. way cheaper and imo better than silverstars

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq

Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
SAABeginner

I like the Silverstars... usually get a year out of them.
Nice and bright white... not blue so you don't end up looking like a Honda with a 3' wing and an "I've just been fisted" tailpipe.

Biggest thing is to take the housings out, unclip the lenses and clean them with a soft cloth and water. DON'T clean the reflectors with anything but a DRY SOFT cloth or you'll rub off the surface.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
i have xtravisions in my car, much brighter than stock, im sure theyd be an even bigger difference for those in the spg. way cheaper and imo better than silverstars
yeah when you were behind me the other week going to meet up with the capital distirct crew I was like "damn those lights are blinding"... maybe they are aimed too high?

I got some of them and i like them WAY better than the cool looking lights, I can live with not looking pimp during the winter months.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Xtravisions since they don't have the ridiculously high price of the PIAA's and actually last, unlike the Silverstars.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
saabkid- what kind of bulb should i be getting to fit in the 900's?
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
Elder

I'd go with piaas, they are expensive, but long lasting.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Trollerator
Elder

my PIAA only lasted from like april to november. not even a full year. Well let me correct that. ONE of them lasted from april to november, the other one who knows how long it would have lasted but it does no good on it's own.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SPG
saabkid- what kind of bulb should i be getting to fit in the 900's?
the ecodes take H4's to my knowledge...

Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
Elder

just found this article from daniel stern lighting (real reputable and basically an expert) says silverstars are one of the best bulbs out there...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
maybe they are aimed too high?
actually, the driver's side is, but i dont have the energy to pull the headlight out so i can readjust it vertically.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Yeah mike, your headlights are kinda killer. The fogs seem pretty bright too. I will be getting the xtravisions next, but I can't justify replacing my bulbs just yet. They're still pretty good. I don't have spare cash lying around quite yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
yes the OSRAM siilve stars, not the sylvania ones, they are similar but the silverstars have a slight blue tint.

I have the sylvania silver stars, and I am sick of having at least one of them burn out every 3 months, one just burnt out when I got in my car to drive home from wocerster mass, to Newtown CT at one in the morning.

Today i am going to pickup a set of xtravisions and see how I like em.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #15

I hate to be the one to diversify this topic but in my experience so far with my C900's, I've found bulbs from Narva to be the best (to date) out of the ones I've tried which is a mix of name brand and generic Asian rip-off brand H4 bulbs.

Craig.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Elder

well i just drove in the rain at night with the osram silverstars and im pretty dissapointed...not much brighter than stock but they have a little more range. Not happy i dropped 33 bucks on em...oh well prolly will ditch em this summer

Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 AM   #17
Trollerator
Elder

I told ya XTRA vision or weather vision. osram bulbs are just more blue.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #18
Elder

WRONG lol. These are the euro spec silverstars...same as a sylvania silverstars in the states but with clear glass. so the color is just like stock...i probably gained 30% more range (they advertise 50%) but i coulda used a little more brightness

i guess im just used to my hid's in the 9k

Old 12-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

oh yeah woops. osram.... DUH

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

im running syvania silverstars in my C900 and they work great.going on 5months.plus I have 100W drivng lamps...if someone has there high beams on in town.on flick and they magically dim there lights....and yes,they are aimed properly.normal lights have low beam lighting as top priority.driving lights are aimed to provide light way the hell out there.with high beams I can see about 2 blocks or so(about 1/8 mile) and everywhere in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in