Freshening Up My 1991 900SE Turbo (picture heavy) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Freshening Up My 1991 900SE Turbo (picture heavy)

I would like to introduce you blokes to my Vert, my wife calls GraySE", that's short for Grey SE. In the US, this car is on of about 456 (or somewhere thereabout). SAAB imported an equal amount of the Platana Grey 900 SE (as it was badged) and the Monte Carlo Yellow. To my understanding, each major US SAAB dealership in 1991 received 1 car of either color (not so sure but thats the word).

Long story short, this car would classify as rare as the UK Ruby, except, it didn't come with any extra ponies; just Tupperware, Metallic paint, and the early three spoke SPG wheels, on a Vert.

I purchased this car 2 year ago from a lady that had it sitting on her driveway for about 2 years. We are the 3rd owners of this car. The PO purchased in a divorce liquidation for $5,000 in 1995. Her son crossed the battery terminals in 2008 or so trying to install a new battery and caused and electrical cluster mess. After that, a rain soaked interior almost sent the car to the crusher.

I purchased the car from her in 02/2011for $400.

I was able to get the car up to snuff in a short time. Once running it still had that new SAAB feeling. Chassis was tight and it was clear the rubbers were all still in good nick. Boost was nice but I think it was stuck on base boost (never got a chance to diagnose the issue).

Then an unfortunate episode occurred. My wife was going to see her sister in the hospital and I had taken the coolant res cap off to add some coolant. I noticed the res would drop off too quickly for my liking and I was going to take a proactive measure and replace the head gasket, as there were no exterior leaks.

Well, she never made it home with the car, I had to go get them both. it appears the overheated cylinders cause some form of a detonation and BOOM, piston 3 had a curled crown.

I been running this thread in another forum but since posting here I appreciate the temperament and would like to share my experiences here as well.

I have already rebuilt the motor and tranny is in good nick.

I will pick the project up here as I begin to refit the motor and get all the aesthetics in order.

Basically I already cleaned all the grease and did all the boring stuff, now I will document the build here and get her back on the road.

My "Sunglasses Holder" thread should give an idea of where I am going with aesthetics but piccys will molest this thread so in due time members/visitors of this forum will see where i am.

I will post up piccys this weekend.

Here is the car before I pulled the motor

Cheers

Last edited by B202nut; 02-28-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

leaqving Well enough alone

On a side note, I had the intention to replace the oring, ball bearing, and oil seals in the inner drivers.

I had already did this job on MY92 NA and the driver cup came out without much issue after I removed the bolts.

When i removed the bolts on the 91 Vert at the inner driver cup, the cup would not budge form the differential. after a few quick tugs, I stepped back, did a beard stroke and decided, "To leave Well enough alone!", honestly I cannot say either was leaking prior to engine pull so I wont fuss with removing them. I will just change the speedo O ring and be done...

Actually, thats where the oil seesm to be comong from so i pray I replace that small part all will be well and dry...

Last edited by B202nut; 02-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #3

Block rebuilt, list is too long; everything moveable replaced..

Hone cylinders

New chain and guides:

Last edited by B202nut; 02-08-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Looking forward to this thread. Fellow 91 900 SE owner here. Mines has a airflow kit too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

Rebuilt TE05

Proffessional balance:

Polished shaft with new bearing:

Waste gate was opened, spring greased, closed & painted:

Last edited by B202nut; 02-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #6

Seiko Seike rebuilt

All seals and internal o rings replaced
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Elder

Subscribed. I love build threads. Especially from people who are detail-oriented. Looking good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocon86 View Post
Subscribed. I love build threads. Especially from people who are detail-oriented. Looking good!
Thanks, my first SAAB was a 1986 9000 Turbo, I purchased back in 1991 (loved it in every essence of the word LOVE). I reunited with these cars in 2009.

Prior to 2009 I didnt know how to change oil on any car... I just put my best foot forward and hope it comes out right.. ...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
Looking forward to this thread. Fellow 91 900 SE owner here. Mines has a airflow kit too.

I love this car... I am not really huge on the color.. I would prefer a Black SAAB (highly considering a color change..). I think Black is the best color for a Classic 900 hands down,,,

I will be spraying this next month with Maaco after I sand all the paint down and have it primed. I would never just drop them my car and expect anything decent.'

HOWEVER, if you bring a reputable Maaco a prepped car, you'de be amazed at the results...

Last edited by B202nut; 02-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

No T5 Head! cant Justify the Mod Costs

Well, part of a project is trial and error; I will admit i have deflated my efforts to use the T5 head. I cannot justify the costs for modding the intake, head, and making other adjustments for steering rack mount, motor mount, and AC pulley.

It would almost cost me what I need to buy my top and a few other bits that are far more improtant. I cant even determine the actual benefits of the T5 head.

So since my DD has a bad 1st gear and I refuse to fix it, the 92 NA will become a parts car for my vert. This weekend I will pull the head (which I overhauled 2 years ago) and the intake mani.

This jumps me waaaaay ahead of plans. With a gasket I can actually put the motor back in the engine bay

Stay tuned.. I had another experience 2 weeks ago that will make the 92 and its defunked gear box a very good donor but I am waiting to finalize a deal! its actually a 5 finger discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So T5 Head is out and 2.1 head is in
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #11

Weekend Plans

This weekend is going to be very productive (hopefully).

Plans ae to bolt in my 2.1 head, intake mani, PS pump, AC compressor, and get my ex. mani to the welder...

I tried to pull the driver cups last night and after removing the botls, it wouldnt budge fomr the differential. I just cleaned the old thread sealant and put new sealant and repalced the bolts.

After lookinig really good, it seems the only thing that was leaking is the speedo cable. I will put a new Oring there and hope for the best...

I will update photos over the weekend.

Cheers,,,
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #12

Who doesn't like surprise FedEx packages

Last week I was bored and went to saab.com and registered for Customer Care Program.

Thought nothing of it really.

Look what they sent. A thank you letter and a bottle a genuine SAAB leather conditioner.

Go register ASAP!!!!!

Last edited by B202nut; 02-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

Speedo Cable

Question:

Should my speedo cable be slightly bent like this?

It's about a 45 degree angle..

Thanks...

Last edited by B202nut; 02-10-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #14

I used bed armor in many applications both interior and exterior. It's durable and has a nice textured finish.

Here I used it on the wheel arches;

Before

After

Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #15

I had an idea to fit a small tablet in the lower console. Underneath the tablet I want an outside temp gauge and auxiliary outlets for cell phone chargers.

The tablet is a 7 inch screen, fits perfectly in the lower din. After careful trimming, and cutting veneer for the auxiliary and temp gauge here is what I get so far.

The screen sits flush, veneer has been drilled for decorative mount bolts. Just need to cut the holes for the gauge and outlets. The Veneer will be stained and finished. Thinking about cutting a trim piece of Veneer for above the tablet.

I will use commercial grade Velcro to mount the screen.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-10-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Troup
In for updates. Looks clean!!!!!

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #17

I decided to finish up the console work this weekend. Still not done. Just a but more sanding and final finish coat of the veneers but here is a shot of the semi finished product.

I also added a piece of grey micro suede at the rear of the ash tray frame to deflect the stock light towards where the phone will lay (well, that's the plan anyway).

I probably need to add a trim piece of veneer above the tablet and my fingers are itching to recess the tablet about 1/8 inch but then I gotta fuss with supporting it. As it rests it pops up just a bit.

Give me your opinion on how it looks.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-11-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #18

Last edited by B202nut; 02-12-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Elder

Wow! Neat project! I'll be watching this one!

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
Wow! Neat project! I'll be watching this one!
thanks. I take you ???

I am my worst critic, I see every tiny flaw, but i will take your word for it...

Thanks

The gloss finish is actually shellac. it dried nicely over night but I can still see the wood pours.

The craft shop has a poly finish with a high build agent. he said it is varnish and should cover my wood pours so i can get a factory smooth finish, so thats the plan; to fetch a tin of the varnish...

The small projects take the most time and attention. cant wait to be done and i will never do this again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bow before me, cpu fans ftw, dead & gone!, i piss excellence, raul's little brother, velour & veneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in