Freshening Up My 1991 900SE Turbo (picture heavy) - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
Avid TSL User

I like your style b202 rapid consumption of used parts means there wont be many left in 10 years ,and by that time when someone needs a replacement it will cost a fortune to find because people have unecessarily consumed and tossed rebuildable used parts.

If you can't afford to rebuild, then don't, but if you can consider keeping the 2nd hand parts circulating for others.

Brazing is an excellent choice for repair, I highly doubt that the joints will give you ANY trouble over any period of time. An easy and reasonably cost effective fix, and knowing you (and your ability to find good deals) I'd say you paid less than you would have paid for postage, and perhaps at a wrecker (depending on how good a wrecker they were)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
Nope thats motronic. They didn't make a turbo v6 that year.
Damn... Ok thanks, it's was listed as a MY95 SAAB900 Turbo ECU v6...

Last edited by B202nut; 02-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
I like your style b202 rapid consumption of used parts means there wont be many left in 10 years, and knowing you (and your ability to find good deals) I'd say you paid less than you would have paid for postage, and perhaps at a wrecker (depending on how good a wrecker they were)
Appreciate the sentiment Big Ed, wife told me to go visit the doctors because when I walk she hears a squeak.

Upon examination Doc stepped back, did a beard stroke, and said, "uh huh, i have see this ailment before, it appears you have a sever case of the tight ass."

Prescription: Loosen Wallet!!!!

Last edited by B202nut; 02-22-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #44

Santa's little helper stayed home from school today with a case of the sniffles.

After pulling out her own tooth

She decided to help Santa fix his sleigh

Then the Little Angel Helper has an idea. Now gentlemen, understand this is Santa's prize possession so please administer your judgement with care or you will be on the naughty list for next holiday

The cam cover bolts on the Motronic 900 were tamper proof torques. I kept them, but after I cleaned all the grease they were rusty a bit.

Santa's helper decided they should be painted. RED!!!!!!!

Well, as with my wife, I let her have her way, not sure if I keep them but to keep her from being bored today we played with a tin of red engine spray paint I had in a box.

Moral to the story; do not work on SAAB with a bored 8 year old daughter

who loves crafts...

I think I'll keep the red Dizzy plug and go back to black bolts. It was a fun day though

What tickles me, it was all her ideas. A far cry from Barbie's and make up! I just let her creative and mechanical mind run free.....

Last edited by B202nut; 02-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #45

So far the set up is as follows:

Rebuild B202 Block
1997 SAAB 900 Motronic N/A head
1991 SAAB 900 Turbo intake/exhaust cams and sprockets
Mitsubishi TE-05 turbo charger remanufactured and professionally balanced

Next phase:

Custom intake manifold - 2.1 intake tunnels cut and welded to Motronic intake flange for stock fit of intake manifold and head ports

Intake manifold will also be approximately 3 inches shorter than stock set up.

T5 Swap..

Cheer....

Last edited by B202nut; 02-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #46

So the motor is now complete with xception of a few components

This weekend after going to look for a rescue dog at the SPCA for my angel, I will do something many dont like to hear.

IM CUTTING MY FRONT SPRINGS!!!

no need for anyone saying, I WOULDN'T DO THAT... blah blah blah

I've been through it already. It's as relevant an argument as "how many mp g's can I get."

I have found most that Blime about cutting springs has never tried it or worse never drove in a car with PROPERLY CUT SPRINGS.

I did all my home work. It's. done deal. If nothing else sit back and watch the show...
If you want the reasons why, or if your interested in gaining some insight, read The link below.

Lots of great C900 mods even I would do, and I'm not into big boost and all the willy waving stuff most motor heads like. I'm after a clean sleek curb appeal. My car won't be run much more than base boost, but I will lower the center of gravity...

First read this so you can understand from an engineering stand point why our springs were color coded ( it runs a bit deeper than what car they were fitted)

Once you under stand spring rate, how it's calculated, and how it's affected then we can talk. But I won't converse the subject with the ill- informed. Waste of time.

Springs

Once you understand the aforementioned, you can then read below and the lightbulb will go bling... Next time you wanna buy fancy colored springs save your money, cut the stock set you already own, bead blast and paint them, and buy your wife a surprise gift with the extra $150 you kept in your pocket.

Don't think cause springs are sold in purple they are much better than what SAAB gave you at stock. Lol.......

Marketers learned long ago, color can sell snake oil to a cobra!!!!

If done properly, this DIY job should reap 275lbs front srings, which is stiffer than Jamex's.

DIY Lowering Springs

Last edited by B202nut; 02-23-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #47
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think you'll find plenty of folks here running cut coils, myself included. I cut mine with a carbide grit blade on a sawzall with the springs in place. 1 full coil off the bottom put my 4dr right where I wanted it, My vert needs a little more cut off, but that car has lost a LOT of weight from the engine bay

Leave the red bolts, good story for later. She'll be asking for the keys before you know it!

Last edited by seriks1; 02-23-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #48

I'm jsut curious why you went through the trouble of getting that head made to fit if you are running base boost? Doesn't really make much sense to me...

Either way everything looks great so far keep it up.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwertz View Post
I'm jsut curious why you went through the trouble of getting that head made to fit if you are running base boost? Doesn't really make much sense to me...

Either way everything looks great so far keep it up.
I'll give you the long version answer ..

First I was putting the B202 head back on, but when it got to the machine shop, it was trash ( warped beyond repair). I try not to buy big stuff like that on the Internet.

I have come to realize the trend with SAABs in our junkyards here. My guess would be, not much of the younger generation even know what a SAAB is. The baby boomers and seniors that did buy them, seem to have only gone for the naturally aspired cars.

Since the motor went down in 2011 there have been only 2 900's in the yard. One was 87 and one recently was 1992 ( this one showed up last September).

When I learned the 202 head was toast, I had a shit load of NG NA to choose from but no 9000 or 900 classics.

By the time I grabbed the Motronic head and started modding it a 9000 pre 94 2.3 showed up, which would have been ideal but I was already knee deep into the Motronic modding. Yes I wish I had waited but just like spilled milk, I just tossed my straw and kept on pace.

Of course I gotta run base boost for the Break in period

But may just turn it up just a notch there after. I assume its done via those T5 tunes????

I just read so many bad reports of simply shortening the waste gate rod.

So maybe not base boost all its life but definitely nothing close to 18 plus psi I read guys having the desire to achieve..

When I was 19 in 1991 I owned a MY86 9000 Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a fast car. Back then I was into speed and that car defined it in every language speakable.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-23-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriks1 View Post
I think you'll find plenty of folks here running cut coils, myself included. I cut mine with a carbide grit blade on a sawzall with the springs in place. 1 full coil off the bottom put my 4dr right where I wanted it, My vert needs a little more cut off, but that car has lost a LOT of weight from the engine bay

Leave the red bolts, good story for later. She'll be asking for the keys before you know it!
I knew I am amongst wise men here.

I am not as spirited; they springs will be cut on the bench with a cheap dremel n cutting wheel. I will get them bead blasted next week.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #51

Ok gints,

Stock vert springs..

Here is one coil cut. i used a simple hand dremel with maximum 5000 rpm's. should be using something bigger but its all i got at the moment and, a diamond cutting wheel. I'm going to harbor freight to get a bigger one tomorrow. I'm gunna need it to cut the exhaust out anyways.

It started to get dark so I will finish up tomorrow. I plan to move 2.5 coils.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #52

Okay boys,

Wife made me the "Wheeler Deal" of the century. She gave me a whopping $1,000!!!!!

Told me the deal is a get the car done by April and I don't have to pay it back (she's tired of me nickel and dining the kitty).

BUT, I gotta get everything done, with said $Grand$.. Otherwise, I gotta pay it all back..

Damn, seems like a fixed fight in her favor.

So today is 2/23/2013. You guys see where I am to date.

What the hell, I will gamble with her odds...
Old 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #53

Went to the salvage yard this morning. Glad I did. A MY97 NG Vert was labeled as an S model car. I poked my head in the dash and saw a stock Boost gauge BINGO!

Phoned mike D and sent him these pics via iPhone. He confirmed the loom and ECU indeed T5!

I'm in business. Only took about 20 minutes to get it out. Very easy. The loom is missing 4 connectors. Shouldn't be a major issue to sort out.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #54
Elder

Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #55
SAABeginner

Really enjoying your rebuild thread! I'm appreciative of your meticulous attention to detail (I'm German by birth). The section with your daughter and her idea for red bolt heads was touching. I look forward to more and the eventual final product. Thank you for taking us along on this project.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #56
SAABeginner

I like the red bolts! What will your daughter think if she sees you repainted over what you did together? Don't want to give her the wrong idea!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaab900 View Post
Really enjoying your rebuild thread! I'm appreciative of your meticulous attention to detail (I'm German by birth). The section with your daughter and her idea for red bolt heads was touching. I look forward to more and the eventual final product. Thank you for taking us along on this project.
Thank you for the kind words, an I appreciate the welcome to the forum.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATSAAB View Post
I like the red bolts! What will your daughter think if she sees you repainted over what you did together? Don't want to give her the wrong idea!
I agree, the bolts stay insitu...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #59

The Blue Print

Here you can see the welder drawing up the blue print for the brackets.

Below he is taking measurements and making free Hand drawings for the power steering bracket and motor mount bracket on graph paper.

Look at his legs they are medically taped. This is the same mate that welded my head. not only is he a master welder, This guy is as good a man as they make! He is about 6'5 and 300lbs most in part due to a war injury that has badly affected his legs. Tonight, he was suppose to be in bed, with his legs propped up preparing for a up coming surgery.

He came to my house, was barely able to walk. Sat on my dirty garage floor an began to work his craft. As you can see he shares my passion for detail.

Taking measurements for power steering bracket.

Motor mount bracket being measured for modification.
If you zoom in your screen you can get a glimpse of the rough drawings for the brackets

The tensioner bolt was used to get the straight line, for which addition steel will be welded to the stock bracket in order to reach the existing bolt hole on the Motronic head.

Many will say why go the ought the trouble for the 2.3 Motronic head, but since I started with it, might as well do it proper.

Last edited by B202nut; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #60

I was poking around last night. Started to move the stock loom out of the car to prepare for T5.

I have these wires in the passenger wheel arch on the ECU side of the connectors

There appears to be 9 wires in the wheel arch between 4 connectors on the ECM side.

Whenever you see these manuals on ebay you should grab them. The Bentley uses information from these books but leave out alot of details.

For example instead of reading each bentley wiring diagram separately to find out what these wires are, the official manual has the ECM pin out.

So I will go under the dash to see if there are anymore wires about.

This weekend I will tag all the connectors off the ECM before seperatong them.

I realize many T5 swaps have been done on pre-90 vehicles. Those vehicles seem to have different wire set ups. I am thinking is the t5 swap, as simple as corresponding these wires with the relative wires on the black and grey t5 connectors.

Do you think the looms above have everything T5 needs to talk to the car, like fuel pump, speed signal, yada yada yada?

Could it be that easy???

I ask because I read alot of what guys have posted on the net about T5 and I don't understand alot of the electrical jargon used.

I understand simple shit. So in the name of simplicity, if these wires are the only leads off the ECM, seems like everything I need is pictured above. Before I get to excited I will remove the loom and see if that's all to it.

Last edited by B202nut; 03-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bow before me, cpu fans ftw, dead & gone!, i piss excellence, raul's little brother, velour & veneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in