Project Rolling Restoration - 85 900 turbo - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #41
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Great advice as always turbocon!

I think this may have had something to do with it... I knew it was bad, but didn't realize how bad until I disconnected it and took a closer look.

So the car makes boost now, but I still need to get some silicone hose and re-run all of the lines. I'm picking up a vac/pressure test kit today to see how things look and make sure base boost is set correctly. I feel like the car was such a dog with the APC not working, base boost might be much too low (I was only seeing maybe 1/4 to 1/3 yellow).

As far as the stock vs. T5 thing goes... we will see. I am definitely looking at both sides. When I looked at the APC solenoid wires, only the stuff that was exposed was bad, everything that's insulated seems good. So maybe I can just nurse it through the summer and then this winter re-do most of the factory harness. I don't know. I definitely can see both sides of the argument. If it runs OK for the summer w/o T5 I will certainly hold off and spend $$$ on some other things (after all, the 9-5 is starting to get jealous).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #42
Elder

Congrats Carl..... That things is sweet. love the Color. The only way i see to make it cooler is to be an 84 8vt:P But 16v is fine i suppose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
Avid TSL User

I'm almost sure I used to work on that car when the first owner had it. This was back in '98 when I worked for a SAAB Mastertech gone-indy on Nashua Road in Pepperell, MA. I'd always see it parked in Hollis and had to wipe the drool off my chin.

When I changed the oil in it, I never used more than 3.8 quarts!

At the time, my DD was an '85 SPG so I had all those same wiring problems. Exposed wires to the solenoid will short and cause no boost. Of course, the solenoid will trip if you don't have good wires (Bougicord) or plugs (NGK). One tip I can give for a temporary fix is to clean the wires with electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner and then you can paint Plastidip on to coat the wires.

I used to use this:
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating
But now I see they make this:
Liquid Electrical Tape & Spray Electrical Insulation Plasti Dip
Which is probably the same stuff...

I also had a bum distributor which started with the connector coming off, which then turned into the Hall sensor wires getting caught in the distributor and breaking, which I then fixed, and then the distributor got real funky and I couldn't advance it enough. I replaced it with one from a '90 SPG (later Hall sensor plug, recurved for more powah) and replaced the wiring from the Hall sensor to the ignition controller in full (no cutting of the wires allowed!) with one from a later car.

I might have one of those brass intake fittings for the manifold. If you want I can look but it might be at my parent's house (a few hours away). You could also replace the intake manifold with a later one to avoid the problem with the intake fitting.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
Elder

Geoff, that is pretty damn cool if you did in fact work on this car! I suppose there probably aren't very many with Incas and e-codes out there. As far as the intake fitting, my Indy put one of the plastic fittings in there with a bushing, and it seems to work just fine.

The original owner was a woman named Priscilla. According to the original title she would be 69 or so years old now. The original sales sticker is pretty interesting. It was sold by Dick Kinney's SAAB Nashua, and has "Code:B:JRDemo" on the sticker.

The non-standard options were,
-Pinstripes $150
-RJ paint sealant $170
-Center Armrest $155
-Hood Protector $45
-Fog Light Grille Guards $26
-Alarm System $325
-Rear Mud Flaps $54
-Rear Louver $189
-Window Deflectors $75
-Twin Wipers $56
-European Headlights $295
-Inca Silver Wheels $385

For a total sticker price of $22,229

Of course there were some options available in 85 that the car doesn't have such as a Momo Sport wheel or aux gauges and I'm sure a few other things.

The earliest service slip I have from the car is dated 7-28-99 when it had 50,000 miles on it. It was serviced at Maffee's Garage on Clinton St. in Nashua until 03. Then when it changes hands it was serviced at Nashua Foreign Auto, those slips show 05-10.

And as far as today goes, we have boost, but still a leak somewhere. The vac/pressure test gauge I picked up is showing about 15 inches of vacuum, a little low from the sounds of it, and I can definitely hear a leak, just can't nail it down, it almost sounds like underneath the intake manifold somewhere. Tomorrow I'm going to try the propane trick and hope to finally get it solved. But the car does feel to be running pretty well.

I also tried buffing out some of the pin striping and for the most part it comes off fairly easily, but does leave a tiny bit of a shadow/ripple in the paint. Once it gets in for the minor bodywork I'll see if there's anything that can be done. Tomorrow will be a full day of buffing and waxing to get it all cleaned up. The car already looks much cleaner with some of the pin stripes removed, and should shine up very nicely overall.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000Andrew View Post
I'm mixed on T5'ing a nice classic 900. Part of me, when I hear about how well they run, says "I'd like to do it," but another part of me thinks that it will harm value in the future when there are even less of these on the road. So while I think T5 is great for a SPG clone or a DD, I don't think it's optimal for anything clean and minty like that 900T or SPG's. Just my two cents. Think it through!
I agree.....then you open up the transmission issues of a 1985.....I think leaving it stock is best from my experience.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #46
Elder

Finally gave it a good wash and some wax. Also managed to get rid of the pin striping. Cleans up pretty good for original 27 year old paint!

Also, T5 is on the back burner for now, it's running pretty well, but still has a small vac/boost leak I need to snuff out. I drove it for the first time at night and the headlights are awful. I forgot how bad e-codes are with 55w bulbs. I may have to HID them, I know it's faaaaaaar from stock, but when it comes to being able to see at night, I don't care what's OEM and what's not. It's going to need a set of tires, and hopefully I can make it down to CT sometime soon to get the headliner and sill panels all redone.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
Site Moderator

The car looks great! Nice plate, too.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #48
Elder

Sweet c900! Sell me your headlights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #49
Avid TSL User

Carl,
It looks fantastic, nice clean up job....you can add 100W fog bulbs to help with lighting......wish you could show it at Carlisle.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
you can add 100W fog bulbs to help with lighting
I ran those for a while when my local parts store was out of 55w. They didn't last more than a couple months.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
Sweet c900! Sell me your headlights
Where were you 4 years ago? I sold 2 sets of e-codes when I parted out my 85 SPG.

Glen, thanks man! I would love to make it to Carlisle, it's just not in the cards this year. Hopefully next year I can get my act together and make it happen.

And yeah I ran 100w fogs in my 9k, and either burned up bulbs quickly, or left them on too long in traffic and cracked the lenses from all the heat. I'll talk to Pete about hooking me up with some HID's and them probably go 55w yellowstar's for the fogs.

Last edited by Cark; 04-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #52
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i have nokya 55w yellows and those work pretty well. they're like 20 bucks on amazon.
yeah those hella 550's are cracked straight through so i need to pick up another set. but i love those things too. made a huge difference in nighttime lighting
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #53
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevierSaabOG93 View Post
yeah those hella 550's are cracked straight through so i need to pick up another set. but i love those things too. made a huge difference in nighttime lighting
Yes, the Hella 550's are an amazing fog/driving lamp, I would recommend them to anyone! (not to mention they fit perfectly in a 9000 airflow bumper) Although running them with 100w bulbs is tricky, again, because of all the heat they create.

If this 85 didn't come with stock fogs I would definitely get a set of 550's for it. I'll try out the yellow bulbs and see what those do. Would like to keep it stock, but again, some things like nighttime visibility do take precedence over keeping things OEM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #54
Elder

Took the 85 out for a nice Sunday cruise today to visit my parents. Everything went great! The car runs very well, even though it's still got a small vac/boost leak, and the ride is incredibly smooth. However, the brakes (have I mentioned those yet?) are awful. I'm going to get some new rotors and pads and hope those help a bit. On my last 85 the brakes weren't bad at all, so I'm hoping these can be brought up to snuff.

I'm loving every minute I spend in this car.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #55

what do you plan on using for brakes and rotors?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #56
Elder

Just some brembo rotors and hopefully metal master pads. May even hunt down some braided brake lines and of course swap out the fluid. Right now the brakes feel super warped and the pedal definitely requires some pumping.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #57
Elder

I run
PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs
in my fogs. Very bright and clear without the heat issues. Had them for over a couple years and still going strong.

I also run the PIAA Intense White bulbs in my headlights--huge difference.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #58
Elder

Taking a few days off from the 85 this week. I just started up my summer job and the weather hasn't been great for outside/car projects. This weekend I'll hopefully get to hook it up to my Indy's smoke machine and find out where the vac leak is.

Once it's making full boost and running correctly I will be pretty psyched.

After that it's front brakes, some new tires, upgrade the lighting, and some interior updates (new headliner and such). That's all I can really think of that this car needs!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #59

If it don't run good, at least it looks good.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #60
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
If it don't run good, at least it looks good.
ha thanks!

I wouldn't say it runs badly... it just has a vac/boost leak so doesn't quite give a full pull when you nail the throttle, I'd call it 80%. Again, once that gets fixed it should be right up to snuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lhjokers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in