93 900s starter mount problem - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
SAABeginner

93 900s starter mount problem

I just got an 93 900s convert. Starter wouldn't engauge to turn over the motor so while checking it, I found the large plate is broken where the starter mounts to. My question is, can I, weld it, replace it, or rig up another plate to hold the starter rigid? One of the mounting holes is fine, but the other one is on the "broken off" piece. If the plate is a replacement part, where do I get one and how do I go about getting to it? I would imagine I would have to take off clutch, flywheel, etc. Thant correct? Thanks for any/all help you can give.

I have posted this in the "car problems" post as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Elder

By plate, I'm assuming you mean the engine front cover. If so, I won't even ask how that got broke. I think your best course of action right now would definitely be to try and weld it in situ. It is aluminum, so you'll have to have that welding talent to do it.

To replace it, you may have to pull the motor and separate the motor from the tranny. I can't recall at the moment weather there is an alignment pin at the bottom that won't allow you to just unbolt it and pop it off. with the motor and tranny together.

EDIT: just looked at my Bentley Service manual. There is no alignment pins, so it looks like you could take it off with the motor in the car. You will certainly have to remove the clutch and flywheel though.

Can you post a picture of said breakage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363

Last edited by turbocon86; 12-21-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Yes it is the plate between the engine block and the fly wheel, in my searches seems they call it the "engine back plate". The previous owner had a new starter put on and I guess the guy that did it broke the plate. Unfortunately, the guy I got if from failed to mention that little problem. It was JB Welded but it wasn't holding. I will try to post a pic of it tomorrow as it is night here now. BTW, how do you post pics on here? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Elder

You have to have the image hosed online somewhere like one of the free image hosting sites (Photobucket or Flickr or ImageShack for ex.) Then, when you make a new post, click the little square mountain and sun "insert an image" icon. Then paste the url of the individual image in the entry field. Don't post the url of the page it's on, you need the actual image url.

Or you can just put the image's url between image tags --[img]--before the url, and --[/img]-- after (only without the dashes).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
SAABeginner

I will give it a try. Do you or anyone else on here have an idea if I can find one of these plates? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in