Trade my 2000 9-3 for an SPG? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Trade my 2000 9-3 for an SPG?

So a local trusted shop has an SPG. They car is BY NO MEANS perfect. It had been hit hard in a rear end collision and both the rear wheel wells have bad cracks. The shop said $400 to half-ass fix it. The damage is all visual though and the car feels very solid compared to my 9-3. Not as fast, but still fast enough. The other problem with the car is the 2nd gear syncro. you have to go from first, to neutral, then from neutral to 2nd. I could get used to that, but I do like taking the turns fast so this may get in the way of that.

They want $1,750 for the SPG. It has 160k miles on it. My car has 130k miles. Its not is great condition, but not bad. Could use new break fluid, tranny fluid. I would have to sell the my 9-3 with the Koni kit, an aftermarket downpipe (with race cat) and a tuned ECU, not to mention some perminant interior mods like an aftermarket shift knob.

My main concern is that the SPG would be my only car. I need it to be running! The SPG is indeed running well right now but it is an old car.

It would probably only be for a few years until I can find an used Fiat Abarth...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jaross; 12-20-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Moderator

One thread on the topic is enough. Most people just read "New Posts" anyway.

As for the trade, I don't like the sound of it. SPGs are fun, but this one doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble, nor does it sound like a good candidate for a reliable daily. Maybe if you picked it up as a second car and spent some time going over it first, but only then. Plus, sounds like you have a bit invested in your 9-3.

I'd pocket the money that otherwise would've gone into the SPG and put a bigger down payment on your Abarth down the road.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Elder

I wouldn't do it. Not as your only car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Natural? I'm gonna double-check my shift knob next time I see my 9-3.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You would be HIGH to trade for a crashed SPG.

You could find an SPG for like $500-$1000 without damage.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
You would be HIGH to trade for a crashed SPG.

You could find an SPG for like $500-$1000 without damage.
Truth.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
Elder

Fix it for $400? I'd love to see what they do to fix it for $400 if its "hit hard"
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #8

This seems like a bad idea. 9-3s make decent DDs. Airbags, ABS (Granted, some SPGs have those), working AC, are nice to have in a daily.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Here is the link to the hard to read listing: http://premiersolutions.homenetinc.c...L35LXL3007193/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Fix it for $400? I'd love to see what they do to fix it for $400 if its "hit hard"
Apparently they fixed everything else back in the day. It does drive very nicely and aside from the 2nd gear syncro seems mechanically sound.

What you guys are saying makes sense supposing it is true. I thought a decent SPG would set me back more like $5000.

On a side note, I only have about a 1/2 hour bike commute supposing my car is not in working order. Worth it? Maybe I should just wait and find an SPG that has not been hit for the same price.

Last edited by jaross; 12-20-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #10

For $5k, you should be able to find a 99% rust free car with 110k and two prior owners. You can find a good drive and 'fix when you have time' spg for under $2k.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
For $5k, you should be able to find a 99% rust free car with 110k and two prior owners. You can find a good drive and 'fix when you have time' spg for under $2k.
Yup.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

on another note how hard is a transmission job on this car, supposing I have access to a shop crane?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #13

w/that hoist, not difficult at all. Disconnect everything, pull as a unit, replace. Not a bad time to do some work on the motor (degrease, freeze plugs, timing chain/tensioner/guides, etc). Despite the reputation in the mainstream, I love working on old 900s - everything is relatively logical and easy to get to and replace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in