SPGs with "Turbo" badging? Don't think so... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

SPGs with "Turbo" badging? Don't think so...

I posted this question in the for sale forum but should probably have posted it here.

There are currently two SPGs for sale on Saabnet from a guy in Albuquerque. One is 1990 Talladega, the other is 1991 Beryl Green. Both were on CL and ebay. No takers yet.

Both grilles have "Turbo" on them. Did SPGs ever come badged from the factory with "turbo" anywhere on them? I personally don't think so, and my '90 Tally certainly doesn't have any turbo badging. Anyone know for sure?

Saabnet.com 1993 & Earlier Saab 900 Classifieds
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Elder

My 86 SPG has "turbo" emblems on each side of the hood.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit View Post
I'm pretty sure they should not be there, but 86 was a weird year, and possibly they ran them for 1 year?

As far as other SPG's having the "turbo" in the grille, I think that may be correct, but that would be the only turbo badging on the car. Aside from maybe that, no side of hood badges, and no hatch badge.

I may be wrong, and if so someone please correct me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Elder

Maybe mine is not an SPG
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
My 86 SPG does not have the badges on the hood, but I didn't get a grille with my car so I can't help with the original question.

Replacement hood before you bought it possibly?
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Maybe mine is not an SPG
Is that the SPG that Amish crashed in a tunnel a few years ago?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
Is that the SPG that Amish crashed in a tunnel a few years ago?
no
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Elder

and as far as the turbo badges go, who the fuck knows. over the years, saab has been many things, but consistent is not one of them.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
McQ
TSLMember

Send a message via Yahoo to McQ
All I know is my 85 did not have one in grill, only place it says turbo on car is in dash gauges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Elder

1990 SPG here has turbo on the grill but no where else on the exterior.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Pretty sure my '90 spg had a turbo badge on the grille, but no where else.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
My 91 has it on the grille but no where else

Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #13

Interesting to find more SPGs with turbo badging. Not what I expected.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
JK
Elder

SPGs were not supposed to have TURBO or 900 badges on the hatch or hood. I have no idea how consistent they were with grilles, but every SPG I've owned (at least 4) had them on the grille. But as CT said, Saab is not always consistent when their cars roll off the factory floor. Likewise, dealers are not always consistent on repairs, and I have a pretty good idea what a SPG that shows up with badging on the hood probably had the hood swapped over. It takes two bolts and about 1 minute to change a hood.

That, and what makes a car an SPG? Not a whole lot other than some springs and a bunch of plastic strapped to the lower parts of the car. The later cars did admittedly have a few more HP, but the early ones (1985-1989) were within 5hp of a regular 900T of the same year.

So, in summary...who gives a flying fack.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Elder

I had an 86' and an 89' SPG - neither had the Turbo on the grill - I think it was a 90' and on thing. I also was not even close to the first, second or third owner of either car so who really knows. They both met the crusher in the end before I got to drive them.
for your repair needs
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
Elder

Here are a couple things to check:

-First, check the VIN tag on the hood and see if it matches your VIN. Easy way to see if the hood's been swapped with a 900t.

-Second, pull off the driver's door panel and check the sticker underneath. Should read "M AERO" for SPGs and "IE AERO" for a non-SPG.

-Third, mechanically it doesn't really matter for an '86. They didn't get a HP bump until 1987 (and that was only 5hp). They also didn't get the "sport suspension" until '87. An '86 SPG is a 900 turbo with tupperware, wheels and a badge delete.

Saab 900 turbo with Special Performance Group

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #17

My 91 SPG has a turbo badge in the grill, my 88 SPG has badge delete listed on the original window sticker.

Former: '97 9000 CS, '94 900 CV, '91 900 SPG,
'80 900 T, '79 900 EMS
Old 07-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
Interesting to find more SPGs with turbo badging. Not what I expected.
others have said, i think - but SPGs are debadged, except the Saab nameplate on the hatch. And of course, the saab emblem in the middle of the grille.

I was told that it was a strict detail in all 3 factories, to debadge for SPG status. I have even seen a orig. window sticker for an 85 SPG from a Kansas City dealer, that has a *note on the bottom for the carlot. Said something to the effect of, "Please, do not put nameplates, and or dealer emblems, on any section of this auto". He said the Turbo, and "S" models didnt have this 'detail' on the sticker info.

Also mentioned that a literal shit-ton of 900 Turbos were given SPG panels, at the dealer, at a later date, but were left badged at the owner's request, or laziness. Either way. Probably more post-86 that this happened more often. Said that after the SPG panels became more popular, more people wanted them here in the US, and were easily available to the dealers. He said he installed more than 300 SPG kits, on standard turbo, and 'S' models, over his tenure at an Alabama Saab dealership.

Further, he clarified the '200' and '700' VIN# debate on SPG's.
the 700's (strict SPG VIN numbers) were all built in Trollhatten. Designated at that facility, specifically. The '200s' were built at the ohter two factories, and didnt receive the '700' VIN number - but were still, SPG's, from factory.

I was worried that my 86 wasnt a true SPG, until he looked at it, and told me it was an actual factory option SPG. Post '86 came with the suspension upgrades, and such - but the earlier ones didnt. As far as I know...

Either way - all we're really talking here, is a bodykit, and wheels. Even if its not a true SPG, it still looks like it, and no one (besides us, knows any different). Personally, I kind of like badging, and the Turbo emblems.

Cant claim everything he told me was 100% accurate - Im just repeating what I was told.

*sidenote - wondering about something else he told me. He said that more 'editions' CAME with the Red Box, than just the Commemorative Editions. Thats been a debate over the years as well. Anyone wanna chime in on that?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyeroc View Post
*sidenote - wondering about something else he told me. He said that more 'editions' CAME with the Red Box, than just the Commemorative Editions. Thats been a debate over the years as well. Anyone wanna chime in on that?

I know that in europe a "pre runout" version of the 900 CE was called a 900 TS. fully loaded with options & it also came with the redbox.
The TS was available in regular colours & had the "900 turbo-s" badge. In europe the 900 CE was called 900 GT and was badget "900 turbo". Both had the small "16 valve" badge and the "turbo" badge in the grill as well. Nothing on the hood exept the saab/scania emblem. The other difference between TS and GT: the GT had leather seats combined with zegna wool centerpieces. TS had leather seats.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
Elder

Red box could also be purchased as a dealer "performance" option on any 900T.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sspg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in