'91 c900 'vert possible buy? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mySaab900
'91 c900 'vert possible buy?

Ok, here's the thing. It's got issues. 206,000 miles, needs brake work (pretty severely) and some minor clutch work, and new glass in the back. Plus some interior work and it has a vacuum leak. (minor: when you rev it up you can hear it suck air it and it sounds kinda like a backfire/hesitation thing.)

The guy left the keys in it, and the battery was dead. But I had jumper cables. It has a current inspection believe it or not. I drove it a little bit into the parking lot across the road which is bigger. It rides nice and sounds good, and it's a 5 speed.

Thing is, I just got my license 3 weeks ago, my insurance is $750/year. And if I added a car on, it'd be way more. He wants $750 for the c900, but I think with the amount of work it needs that I could get him down to $500 or even $400 maybe? What do you guys think; I'm in love, what can I say?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Elder

500$ max

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Elder

Unless you're willing to put in a fuck ton of work, don't get it. These things snowball real quick.

EDIT:
$500 tops

Last edited by Legit; 06-27-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Moderator

Yeah aside from all the work it needs, I'd personally avoid a c900 vert as your daily, unless you can park it inside overnight and leave the top down all the time in summer. The top pistons only last about 18 months if you cycle the top up and down every single day. Ask me how I know.

Also, if the top rips it's a giant bastard of a job to replace DIY and about $1000-1500+ to have a shop do it.

Considering you live in Snowville where it also rains a lot, I'd find a hatch. I love my convertible to death but it gets garaged and it only rains here about 3 weeks/year.

Last edited by jk88; 06-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Elder

Money pit. I'd walk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Elder

Got space to store it? (Under shelter away from elements)

$500 tops

Buy it - transfer the title only - don't register it or insure it.

SLOWLY fix it. Once you are older and your insurance rates are down you will either have a nice car to enjoy or a car worth $500 to someone else. Eitherway - you won't be out shit tons of money if you are able to do it this way.

I'd say get it ONLY if you have the need and the means. If either are iffy - walk away.
for your repair needs
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

Yeah I think I'm walking away. I really want a c900 hatch back turbo w/ manual transmission. Just driving it around yesterday I could tell that the brakes and clutch needed work. I think the clutch just may be a slave cyl. that's going. The brakes are gonna be a pain in the butt though. And the top doesn't work on it, I tried putting it down, it didn't even make noise.

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySaab900 View Post
And the top doesn't work on it, I tried putting it down, it didn't even make noise.
^ Pffft - Newb! lol Was the parking brake on, car in neutral/park and your foot on the brake? lol

Putting c900 tops down takes some skills - you ain't got none *

I revise my value of that car BTW - $300 tops... it looks beat and I'm sure the floors and the "a" arms are rotted....
for your repair needs
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Elder

Pass on this one. Save your dollar menu cash for six months and buy something that doesn't need a ton of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
I revise my value of that car BTW - $300 tops... it looks beat and I'm sure the floors and the "a" arms are rotted....
Burnsside has proven to have exceptional car valuing abilities*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
Looks like another $500 buy - could end up being a DD at best....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Bidding finished at 3000 lol

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Pass on this one. Save your dollar menu cash for six months and buy something that doesn't need a ton of work.

Burnsside has proven to have exceptional car valuing abilities*
You're just jealous b/c I could have bought that for $500 if I wanted it After the dent was removed and the car was cleaned up it looked much nicer.

As for buying cars - I do VERY well and know what my limits are and when to walk away. I only buy good deals. It is supposed to be genetic, but it seems I am the first one for a few generations to regain this talent. Shmucks.

My last vert was far nicer and in much better shape - and running with lots of new parts. That was bought for $500.
for your repair needs
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #11

I don't think I'm gonna go for it. I'll just play the waiting game....

And I can't believe we still aren't over the whole "dollar menu" crap type stuff. Just let it rest, it just shows immaturity. Jeez.....

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
Elder

for your repair needs
Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #13

I don't care about that, I like the smiley.

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in