F@#ing Exhuast Stud - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
[email protected]#ing Exhuast Stud

Or a way to spend your Saturday evening and Sunday Morning.

This weekend I had the pleasure of replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on my girlfriend 89 900t convertible.

The gasket has been leaking for quite sometime and she finally convinced me that it needed to be changed
It made all sorts of noise and the car definitely lacked a bit of power (due to a few issues actually).
So as per my typical long drawn out stories go, here we go.

Saturday around 5pm I started working on the car. The first stud I put the wrench on twisted right out way too easily. It became apparent quite quickly when it only took half a revolution to remove it that the stud had been broken off in the head at some point in the past.

At this point I contemplated saying F it and letting her drive on with the leaky manifold. My fear was If I couldn't get the stud out that the new gasket may leak worse then the old one without that stud.
I however decided it was in my best interest to continue on with the job (to keep a certain someone happy :P ).

The rest of the fasteners actually came out without issue, some of the studs pulled completely out others the nuts spun off. After maybe an hour or so and some spilled coolant later I had the manifold and turbo removed from the car.

The broken stud was actually broken below the gasket surface. I grabbed a right angle drill and a left handed drill bit and tried to drill down the center of the stud. HA like that ever happens. The bit started to chew into the head a little and I realized that this wasn't going to work. At this point I searched for a tap and matching drill bit so I could drill out the stud completely. I didn't even care if it was an SAE tap at this point. Luckily though I found a M8 1.25 Helicoil kit laying around with one insert left. Perfect that is the exact fastener used stock.

Now the tricky part. How do I keep a drill bit perpendicular to the head.
Answer:

I wound up cutting a piece of 1/8" plate I had laying around to an approximate size. I used the new gasket as a template and drilled three holes in it. two that I could use to bolt the plate to the head and the other to act as a drill guide for the broken stud. I used one of the inch long stud spacers and welded it to the plate to act as a guide and walla!

Drilling was slow going at first, but once I made it through the stud things became easier. I had to go fairly deep to get the tap to cut threads. The top of the hole was a bit egged out from when I first tried to drill the stud out without a guide. I actually ground the tap down a bit as the nose of it didn't have any useable cutting threads.

I finished up Saturday night around midnight when I realized my drill guide would work and then I continued Sunday Morning. I wound up running around Saturday night to pick up some new hardware and get some dinner, so not all of the time was spent working on the damn thing.

I also replaced the manifold to turbo gasket. You can hardly hear the damn car run anymore. I finished up Sunday just in time for the girlfriend to go to work. I would have rather test drove the car myself to make sure all was fine, but I made her call twice, once when she left the neighborhood and once when she made it to work.
There was definitely a happy camper on the other end of a line. I was a sore bastard for a few days afterwards, something about being contorted across the fender of a c900.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Ugh, my back hurts from just looking at that. Ick.

Nice work though!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Man, your gonna be glad you did that and what a great tool .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Can I have your jig?

Great work BTW. This job, on any engine, is a guaranteed PIA.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsonett View Post
Man, your gonna be glad you did that and what a great tool .
Thanks, the car runs quiet and smooth now. The Girlfriend is too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Can I have your jig?

Great work BTW. This job, on any engine, is a guaranteed PIA.
You can say that again, I had to do something similar to my Cherokee five or so years ago.

As for the Jig, It only took about 20 minutes to make, a welder is a wonderful thing. Luckily the stud that was broken was toward the front of the car. If it was one of the rearward studs, I probably would have had to remove the head as it would have been mighty tight to fit a drill in their.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #6

Welder, right angle drill, and reverse bits. All items I don't have but really want. Try doing the job with none of the above - there is lots of time spent standing staring thinking about how much your back hurts and how few options you have left!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Elder

I've done this job without that rig and my back starting hurting and my anxiety increased just thinking about it. That is a neat trick with that jig. Well done sir! I hope the GF appreciates the effort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocon86 View Post
I hope the GF appreciates the effort.
I think they say they appreciate it, but never fully grasp the frustration involved with that sort of thing.

Neat Jig!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in