'87 SPG revenge - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Elder

'87 SPG revenge

I purchased my SPG in 2007 and it has been many things: daily driver, backup car, winter car, pickup truck, etc. I bought it for $750 and it needed bodywork, the car had been bumped in the front in a parking lot accident.

After replacing the radiator, core support, lights, grille, bumpers, hood and repainting the hood & sunroof, the bodywork was complete and the car looked good. I also replaced the SPG wheels with better-looking ones from my stash and had the headliner/c-pillars/door cards recovered. From then it became my daily while I rebuilt the vert. It became my backup car when I went through my Viggen and GTO. Now it is back to daily status half-time (sharing use with my M3).

Now to the fun part: the car had been squeaking a bit and had a "whumpa whump" at highway speeds. I knew the shocks were bad but I was putting it off. Ms IJ took it to work one day, and I got the call. SPG made a clunk noise and couldn't turn. Great.

Turns out, the driver lower control arm sheared off from its mounting point. No clue how it happened. The wheel was pushed way out and I needed a tow home. I knew for sure the shock and tie rod end had been tweaked so I had some replacing to do - things I had put off for a while. I didn't want to take any chances so I started with the following:
Replacement LCA
Koni adjustable shocks
Ball joints
Tie Rod ends
Sway bar bushings

Completed that job, and at the same time rebuilt the passenger axle which had what I assumed was a bad CV joint, causing the whumpa-whump. New boots on either side with a good-used CV. Drove it, and damn! Still whumpa-whumping.

Took it in for an alignment, and the tech confirmed my suspicions. Wheel bearings were bad. I had to go back in there and replace 'em. Ordered the Miata-brand wheel bearings and pulled the steering knuckles. Pressed in new bearings (real DIY status, IJ does his own stunts).

While I'm in there, of course I find more crap to do. Passenger brake line is bulging (scary!) and the discs are warped and at minimum thickness. Pads need replacing. Another eEuro order.

I replace the brake lines, start dialing back the calipers and oh! More SPG revenge. Seals are leaking/torn on both calipers. Luckily I had a spare set and two rebuild kits, so I got to work on those. Rebuilt both calipers (simple job) and installed. Just waiting on new discs which will be here today, and I can finish things up. Just have to install discs, bolt up calipers, install new PBR pads and retorque the axle nuts.

Total stuff:
Replacement LCA
Koni adjustable shocks
Ball joints
Tie Rod ends
Sway bar bushings
Wheel Bearings
Brake discs
Brake Pads
Brake lines

About $600 worth in parts. But, when this is done it should drive like new.

Also, I have added a Thule roof rack with 555 fairing which will increase the swedish-pickup-truckness and brotato-HDR-hellastance-status. Pics today.

And I just picked up a rear decor panel for it. I didn't need one but it was cheap. It's not perfect but good enough. Should get here this week. Then it's on to new tires. Then I *might* do a SAS whaletail. It has been on my mind for a few years now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Elder

Quote:
Turns out, the driver lower control arm sheared off from its mounting point. No clue how it happened.
Hope you weren't too hard on Iron Jane since she was driving when it broke. That is a known failure problem. It happens more often than you'd think. The welds at that point weaken the arm and they crack. Word to anyone who isn't aware of this; inspect your control arms in this area regularly. Good thing that didn't happen at speed. Dave Kennedy makes a nice upgraded control arm with a boxed beam instead of the "C" shape.

That's a real nice looking car IJ. I'm in the process of putting my old DD back into service too. I picked up a motor and trans from 9000Andrew to get her going again.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Elder

Brembo discs came in yesterday. Bolted them up along with new PBR pads. Everything went well except I'm not thrilled with the brake pedal feel. Going to bleed again tonight.

Other than that the car feels brand new. Nice and tight with all new suspension components.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
c900 Grognard
Elder

Very nice work. Once you get the roof rack on all you need is a set of lights up there to join my racing squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Nice!

I have rain-gutter mounts, I just need load bars.

How was pressing the bearing? Anything out of the ordinary? I have access to a press.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Elder

Roof rack is on. The Thule logo had worn off so I had a replacement decal made up from a seller on eBay. It fit perfectly and looks good as new.

I will probably get a basket, but no rally lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
How was pressing the bearing? Anything out of the ordinary? I have access to a press.
It was pretty straightforward. I used the method recommended by Jack Straw.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
c900 Grognard
Elder

Do you plan on accessorizing the basket with various pieces of rusticated furniture?

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Do you plan on accessorizing the basket with various pieces of rusticated furniture?

I have been spraying a tricycle with acid for 19 months for just this purpose.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I will be accessorizing with an old gas can, a Super Aero wheel, and multiple ground straps.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
I will be accessorizing with an old gas can, a Super Aero wheel, and multiple ground straps.
Can't wait for the V4/3-speed auto swap build thread.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Elder

^ Just be sure you ground it correctly to prevent corrosion build up.*
for your repair needs
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Elder

You forgot about the NiRA + weber carbs install, and the viggen-freewheel conversion.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Elder

It's finally back on the road. Brake pedal feel is spot on, the car feels tight and smooth and quiet. I am in love all over again...

I think the whale tail and decor panel will really set things off, and my spare set of intrax will eventually find their way onto the car. Now, I need new tires, so what should I do? Keep the SPG wheels or run my Shelbys?

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
c900 Grognard
Elder

I would go with the shelbys in silver, if they are still painted eddy gray it might look a little too drab. SPG wheels are good looking wheels, but to me they don't really have a wow factor. I would also pass on the whaletail but that is me. With the roof rack on there and soon to be decor panel, the car may start to look a little too 'accessorized.'

Quote:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Elder

Yeah, I can see what you mean. It was free and needs a lot of work so I might not ever get around to it. Sell it, maybe.

The Shelbys are grey still but need refinishing so I could easily do silver (or polished...hmm)

Quote:
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Shelbys would look awesome; do like Jack said more or less. Polished would be sweet, can't say I've seen any done that way.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You're like the 80's car hero of your neighborhood.

Do the men come over saying "Ohh, I had one of those Sabbs when I was young! Looked just like that one, except it was an auto!"

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Looking good my man! I take it you are still waiting to hear from those damn Chinese guys about the 18" super aeros?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Do the men come over saying "Ohh"
That is exactly what they say.

Actually this neighborhood is full of cool 80s rides. There is a purple Mustang SVO, a black '85 SPG in perfect shape, and a very cool (I know) Pontiac Fiero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico toscani View Post
Looking good my man! I take it you are still waiting to hear from those damn Chinese guys about the 18" super aeros?
not Chinese. And they are working to get the weight down. I told them a 29lb c900 wheel was unacceptable.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
and a very cool (I know) Pontiac Fiero.
That's ironic. A very clean Fiero was at work today. I wonder what poor developer was tricked into buying that "sports car"

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in