It's back. Cool story, bro. 1986 900T thread. - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How about that alternator ground? Is it even there? Just put a new ground wire on the alt, The alt is isolated by the bushings. Even if the ground looks fine it might not be carying the load it needs to anymore.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 05-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
always luved this car.
consider smoked side markers and clear turn signals?
I like the orange. It "pops". One color is going away soon. All will make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
How about that alternator ground? Is it even there? Just put a new ground wire on the alt, The alt is isolated by the bushings. Even if the gound looks fine it might not be carying the load it needs to anymore.
Good call, I'll check that. I do have a digital dash gauge thing with a volt meter on it, and it's showing 13.6 or so when I'm driving around...
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Elder

Check carefully the electric locks, seen them not shut off when locking or unlocking. Other than that not many thing to drain on thoese.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Good tip, thanks.

One of the window switches is sticky too, but that would not matter when the car is off...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #25
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
always luved this car.
consider smoked side markers and clear turn signals?
Like PaulH's former Notchback - RIP

^ That car was the ultimate bad ass notchback too, Palmers is so much shinier however still mean looking.
for your repair needs
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

That was a great car. The SPG kit on the notch looks awesome.

MIne will be "meaner" soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #27
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to Trollhättan Bil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I Picked up the 86 from storage last weekend. We broke up for a while last summer, but now we had a talk and things are looking better.

I stored this car last summer in a rage, after not being able to track down a random charging/no start/battery drain thing.

I still don't know what it is, but I'm going to figure it out if it kills me. The tested the battery tonight, and it's fine, it just needs a charge. This weekend I hope to pull the alternator and get it tested as well.

Here is how it looks now:
Try replacing the battery to starter cable to see if that's where your particular gremlin lies. Nice looking C900 BTW! I'm scoping that front end IC install modification.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #28

Good to see you aren't giving up.

Don't be so hard on its condition. I thought it looked good when I saw it in person in '09.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Is it pink?

No I have a Black one and this cool Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #30
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snigel laddare View Post
I'm scoping that front end IC install modification.
Should make a big difference on one of your n/a monsters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDSPG View Post
No I have a Black one and this cool Grey
Nice. I'm going to try a wrinkle finish on the one that's on there now. It should look better than the flaking paint that's currently on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Should make a big difference on one of your n/a monsters.

hee hee hee

I did not get as much done tonight as I wanted to, as work had a free keg of New Belgium Ranger IPA available this evening, for my consumption.

Anyway, I removed the hood, put it on the roof, pulled the headlights, grille, bumper, all the hardware on the radiator support, and some other junk. I also hit all the corrosion/bubbles on the radiator support with the wire wheel and palm sander.

I hit the bare spots with etching primer, and I'll take care of the rest when there are not tropical dew points.

Thrilling 1/2 way picture:

The battery is also on a known good charger, overnight. I'm hoping to wake up early on Saturday, and fire it up. If it starts, I'll re-set the dashpot, and throttlebody to Bentley specs. and get the idle dialed in.

The corner lights will also be wet-sanded, and buffed out. I did the same thing to my Miata lights with good results. If I have time, I'll pull the rears out, and do the same thing.

Pictures of the miata wetsanding:

Before:

After:

I keep finding shit I need to re-do as I take stuff off. Ugh.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #32
Elder

Love this car! Glad to see you giving it another whirl.

If you're going to wrinkle finish the valve cover, use an aircraft stripper on the old coating and then have the thing lightly sandblasted. The reason that the old finish cracks off is that there is no tooth on the aluminum. Smooth aluminum doesn't hold paint worth shit. You can try to use a bonding agent, but I've never gone that route because I don't know how it holds up under heat or how it may effect the wrinkle paint. When doing wrinkle finish, heat is your friend. Do it on a sunny day and let the sun cook it. I did one last fall and stuck it on top of my boiler when it was drying and I got a nice even tight wrinkle finish.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Good info!

I did the valve gover on my Miata with the same stuff, and it came out pretty well...however, now that I think about it, it had the casting texture still showing. I also used a torpedo heater to wrinkle the paint. It was kinda funny.

I'm going to grab a heat gun on the way hom tonight to "help" things along on the support.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #34
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
Check carefully the electric locks, seen them not shut off when locking or unlocking. Other than that not many thing to drain on thoese.
X2 Had this problem as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #35
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

I'll check those out today.

Got a little bit done last night:

Found this too:

Good thing I have a couple of them, I have no idea how that would get all corroded like that. Weird.

It's too humid and shitty out to do any more painting, so I'm going to work on the battery tray today, and get that all fit up hopefully. Then I can get the intake mounted more securely, and tie up a few other loose ends.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #36
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Well, that was a fun day, I Got quite a bit done. Updated the first post.

I also found 3 vac leaks. It idles great now, and the random stalling issue is gone...hopefully. I feel like such a n00b. All the issues were super obvious once I dug into it a little. Ugh.

Next up is messing with the exhaust, and the wheel bearing. I'm shooting to drive it to work one day a week as well, so focus is on all the stupid little BS that makes it stop running.

I used the battery tray out of a 9000, and cut the sides off. Here is the test fit:

It fits pretty well in there!

Ignore the grime, and brown, oily dirt. It's gone now.
I degreased and scrubbed everything in the vicinity, painted the battery tray, sanded, primed, and touched up the few rusty spots I found.

To mount it, I drilled holes in the tray, positioned it where I wanted it, then used self-tapping screws. To prevent rust, I took the screws back out, and put a nice big gob of silicone caulk in the holes, and on the screws, then put it together. It looks ok, and the battery is secure.

Last edited by Palmer; 05-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #37

this looks great, glad to see you are fixing it up, even though it looks pretty good as is now!

That IC looks nasty.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #38

Glad it was just afew vac leaks, hate it when that happens.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #39
Elder

yep thats why when the turbo block gets swapped into my brothers c900 every single line with be replaced with silicone.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Two lines were silicone that got cut through.

Neat-o.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
c900, electrical, got front mount?, he's all talk, ima plastidip my windows, junkyard car pimpin, not an spg, snigel corrosion, sweaty italian advice, time attack wheels, van hagar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in