Saab Link Forums banner

Getting my CL900 painted!

4K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  gildedsplinters 
#1 ·
Getting my sub $500 convertible painted today - up late, in the driveway, outdoors, in the cold, with flash lights removing trim... still have door handles, spoiler on the door top, locks, silver trim on bumpers front and rear and... oh yea, lights!

Amazing, all this removed still haven't found any rust in the body, not even wheel arches! Really excited to have a car all one color!

See less See more
#6 ·
I hope to have one of my c900's painted this spring/summer! How much for the job? Base/clear spray, right?

Your's, without rust or any significant body damage, looks like it will come out great. Can't wait to see finished pics!

#7 ·
Going cheap, uh I'm going maaco... they have their best paint job on sale like 2-300 off (usually like a grand) - I just have to remove everything - they'll sand, prime it, etc... cars in the lot look great, locally owned, nice booth - fingers crossed... had one quote $4k (although he also wanted to replace every piece of trim on it ie. sell it to me with markup) - fat old basta.... anyway, next estimate was around $1500 - really nice shop - wish I could go there, but... really want/need new seats or covers for the front, and probably back to match... chasing a tonneau cover (hard) right now... only one on it at the moment.... hope it stays that way!

#18 ·
Looks great! Are you going to leave the badging off?

I did on both of mine after painting and have never looked back!

#20 ·
Almost got it all back together - got just too cold, I have no garage.. and then it snowed... broke OR the paint guys broke OR they just gave up the bit inside the door that the door handles grab to open the door... so door handles are on just to fill holes so they didn't fill with rain and snow...

Still have to align the hood and get it closing all the way, trim, bumper trim, and maybe badges.. or fewer badges maybe..

#21 ·
I'd leave it debadged, or mostly debadged, like an SPG would be. The car looks fantastic. I'm very jealous! That blue is beyond nice.

Also, are you going to put the lower trim back on (the black strips that are about 1/4 ways up the lower body)? Have you thought about an SPG kit?

#22 ·
Shit, looks decent in those photos!

Most of a paint job is all in the prep work, so if you do most of that all they need is some decent paint, some fume sniffing shop monkeys who can mask and tape what little is left on the car and then another fume sniffing shop monkey who can work a spray gun 1/2 way decently.

#29 ·
$700 is an unbeatable price, considering the cost of supplies and labor. Was it a basecoat/clear coat spray or a single stage, acrylic enamel? Either way, for that price, you did good. That car should be looking good for quite some time!

#26 ·
very nice... was looking at doing the bodywork and repaint my silver 4dr with them...after I do the prep and take off anything that can be oversprayed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.