Should I buy 93 c900 turbo vert? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Should I buy 93 c900 turbo vert?

Just went and checked out a 93vert turbo - 94k on the clock. Automagic, blue, new blue top. NO RUST - couldn't start it, key is stuck in ignition - asking $500. Really should just buy it, but would like to know if it runs! 2nd owner, single mom, been garaged the past year, hasn't run - anyone have advice?

hotwire it? any other way to start it? no rust, even in the bottom of the doors - brand new top, all worked when parked, lady just needs it gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

back in the saab(le) again, where torque steer and wheelspin are your friend....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Yes.

Next question.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
It is worth more than that in parts.

Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Elder

Crap. Even a new top will set you back at least $1,500.

Dooo eeeet.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

That is what I was thinking - was just hoping to get it running! Considering going and pulling the ignition off of my 4 door @ the inlaws (hasn't been driven in over a year due to clutch issues), swapping it out, and trying to jump it. Tried wd-40 this evening, key won't go all the way in, comes partially out, like it is hung in there - tumblers maybe?

back in the saab(le) again, where torque steer and wheelspin are your friend....
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Elder

Is the key stuck and won't turn or can you get it out? (It's late and I'm fuzzy-headed.) If nothing else, try the keys from your four-door. You never know with these Saabs.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #7

key is stuck in lock/off position (there is wiggle) - will only pull out maybe half way, seems to get stuck. Won't turn either. Wish it was easier to get to, really just want to go grab the entire switch/cylander from the 4 door and swap it - it was already replaced in the 4 door (1 key to run it, 1 to lock it ) figured I could at least figure out if it runs that way.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Elder

Wait.

Doesn't the red manual...the Bentley...show how to bypass the ignition?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Moderator

My c900 has been known to stay running with the ignition on and the key removed.

Any way you can "turn" what's left of the key with pliers or a screwdriver?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #10

key is still actually there - entire key - it just won't come out or "wiggle" out of locked/off positions - kind of somewhere in between. Don't have a Bentley - did see on here somewhere how to "hotwire" it - considering that - going again @ 12 tomorrow to see it in day light, take a few tools, see what I can accomplish. I think it really is nice enough to be a daily driver - if I only had the time/tools to swap in the manual from my 4 door I'd be happy, and could let my 06SC aero go to another home without hesitation.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #11

One more thing I thought of - noticed that I could move the automatic back and forth from park to 1 and back with no problem.. could the lockout be broken? Could it be blocking the key from turning? Also thought, key will not go all the way in - going to check it out in the daytime - would feel better if I could get it running before taking it home.. or at least hear it run.. why can't it be manual!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
At that price, its worth buying even if the engine or trans are bad. Of course, that's why I have a herd of mediocre SAABs sitting in my driveway.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #13

yea, what I figured, but wife doesn't want a herd in the drive... going to buy it anyway, was just hoping for a ahha! moment about what it may be.... pretty sure If i knew how to hotwire I could get it started.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I had the same problem twice, you can start your car by hot wiring it.

***Off the top of my head***

1 Wire going from the +positive battery terminal to the coil (round thing right at the front of your car attached to the radiator support, should have a rubber cover on it, test it with an meter to see which one is +positive and attach it to that one.

1 wire going from (here's where it's hazy) either that same coil terminal or the other terminal, think it's the same one though, the other end goes into the factory testing block? The round thingy that's in the fuse box and covered with a plastic cap, hook up the wire in the third slot I believe. Try a few combinations, should start up if battery is not dead, don't forget you're in reverse so two man job. OOPs automatic, you should be fine.

Edit I also changed my ignition housing/key out on 2 cars, not very hard to do. You just have to know where to drill to remove the old module. Little prep work before you get to the actual meat of it though.

Last edited by adshaft; 10-07-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Elder

This isn't in PA is it? I looked at a car - same price, same description as this one and it had some VERY doubious front end work - aside from some hidden floor rot. Only differance I think was the top wasn't new - rest sounds the same. lol I offered $300 and I was told to get lost basically. lol I needed it like I need the one I am selling so I didn't care.
for your repair needs
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Topless89
Worse case senario you get it and part it. I know I will want a few parts.

89 900 Convertible Red - Wannabe show queen
89 900 Convertible White - Safari Saab

"This is a bit like asking someone Wanted: Unicorn" -DeLorean
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #17

Ok, so I bought it, would have been dumb not too - one accident, dented blue hood, so has a white hood - didn't bend anything else. not sitting a full year, more like 9 months, all fluids there, no drips on floor (unbelieveable), doors and jams no rust, not even surface, needs some buffing and detailing, dash is cracked up, needs seat covers for base front seats and ignition key/switch.... pad $500 - if it won't crank and top doesn't go up... get $250 back

Oh, quick photos of pickup:
http://gallery.me.com/gildedsplinters#100416

Last edited by gildedsplinters; 10-07-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Elder

::. . . .Waiting for photo's to load.....::

Nice front wheels! My gawd! Has that car never had it's wheels washed?!

White hood you can prep yourself and take to get painted to match - less then $300 if you prep it and goto a MACCO my bet.

Car looks nice man! Can't beat that for $500. I hope that auto trans works well enough...
for your repair needs
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #19

I hate the auto... but I do have a 4 door N/A 5spd with a new clutch kit. If I only had the time and an engine hoist and help.... it would be done.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #20

Looks like a great deal for $500, even with the known/possible issues.

I must say, it drives me nuts how SO many people don't know enough to check their brakes, clean their wheels and rotate the tires to avoid that kind of wheel appearance/abuse.

I see a hood on the ground. Is the white one from your own stock and changed already?
'93 900T Comm.Ed#119
'83 900T 5M 4dr
'87 900S 5M Notch
'88 900S 5M 4dr
'91 & '93 900S 5M 3dr
Parted/scrapped: '82 4dr, '85 3dr,
'86 2dr, '86 3dr, '87 4dr, '90 T3dr.

Last edited by jimbosaab; 10-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in