1987 2dr converting fwd to rwd.. - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
Looks great and I wish you the best of luck!! I can't wait to see it finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
TSLMember

What are you doing with the old 8valve?

Oh yea, very cool project!

Last edited by Tetnisshot; 06-02-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Retarted
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
Flirting With TSL Addiction

when you win that 1500$$ buy an rb26dett head and hardware an FVCKING DOMINATE

Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #24
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetnisshot View Post
What are you doing with the old 8valve?

Oh yea, very cool project!
I am so glad someone asked I didnt want to say....but since you asked.

I have a beach buggy (manx style) body and ALL the left over's from the Saab i.e gauges, dash switches, wiring harness, wipers (windscreen and lights) etc and some of the interior will go into it. I am going to see if I can use the motor/box (cant see why not, vw floor pan with IRS) instead of the vw crap (hate the sound they make, DAK DAK DAK) its a rear drive setup so, front drive rear drive for the Saab combo whats the dif...........in esence it will be a Saab manx beach buggy........(post a pic of it when I get one)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 AM   #25
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabbatical View Post
I am so glad someone asked I didnt want to say....but since you asked.

I have a beach buggy (manx style) body and ALL the left over's from the Saab i.e gauges, dash switches, wiring harness, wipers (windscreen and lights) etc and some of the interior will go into it. I am going to see if I can use the motor/box (cant see why not, vw floor pan with IRS) instead of the vw crap (hate the sound they make, DAK DAK DAK) its a rear drive setup so, front drive rear drive for the Saab combo whats the dif...........in esence it will be a Saab manx beach buggy........(post a pic of it when I get one)

Nice! I'm glad to see the 8valve isn't going to waste. I'll be looking foward to the outcome of both projects.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #26
TSLMember

I bought these of a major Internet auction site for $38 for the lot (grand total for project thus far: $38 ). I am using them all for the IRS a bit like the early Jags had (dual rear shocks), except I am planning on inboard with bellcrank and pushrod.....

This is a rough idea (please note this is not my design nor will I be using it as mine, purly for referance) of what will be in the rear, this is a ford irs and I will be using a GM set up but the principle will be the same. Differance between mine and this will be ajustable control arms (these are not) and with the addition of some link brackets etc.........

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #27
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabbatical View Post

Wow, that rear looks bullett-proof. Very interesting build, I will be watching. Good luck to you!

Former: '97 9000 CS, '94 900 CV, '91 900 SPG,
'80 900 T, '79 900 EMS
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
Elder

good luck.

wish i had the know-how and skill to take something like this on.

win that bet and then beat them in a race...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #29

Wow! What a great project, many have talked about doing something like this, but I can't think of anyone here who has. I wish you the best of luck and a huge word of encouragement.

PS will you take the $1500 once you win or will the accomplished feat be more than enough? Assuming he has intentions of paying up of course.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
Elder

That project looks fantastic! Best of luck and I'll be watching with great interest!

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Amazing project. It looks to me like you'll have to relocate the gas tank - true? And if so, where are you putting it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #32
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
damn. you don't mess around.

i like.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #33
TSLMember

thought you guys might find this interesting I did when I noticed it....

the one on the left has the old 8v Saab arrangment the right is with the RB30 and box in, notice that the shocks havent taken up the weight (bonnet etc is on and added a few more kgs to make sure) didnt expect that much difference but it does confirm my thoughts on the overall weight distribution.
Wont be doing anything on the font until the rear is finished but will be keeping this in mind (lighter up front now) when planning the suspension setup........

Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #34
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
Amazing project. It looks to me like you'll have to relocate the gas tank - true? And if so, where are you putting it?
Havent worked on it lately as I have been looking for employment but start a new job this Monday, back in power steering YEH! (and that is not sarcastic I do enjoy it)........ been out of work for over a month now ow!....So will be getting back into this project full on again!!!!

yes!
the tank is definitly gone, not sure on the exact set up of the rear until Ive braced the middle clip and get down to the back but I know in the boot.........I have a 15lt plastic race tank that will be mounted above the VIN number roughly and the fuel pump is external one from a turbo model (more flow) so it can be mounted anywhere, relative that is.... I am hoping that 15lt's will be enough as I dont intend to do much long distance racing........

Last edited by saabbatical; 06-12-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #35
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshaft View Post
Wow! What a great project, many have talked about doing something like this, but I can't think of anyone here who has. I wish you the best of luck and a huge word of encouragement.

PS will you take the $1500 once you win or will the accomplished feat be more than enough? Assuming he has intentions of paying up of course.
Thank you sincerly for the words of encouragement. I appreciate all the comments and hope that it gives others inspiration to do just the same..... and not just talk about it!..........

in essence it really isn't that hard if you put your mind to it, do your research first.........preperation is 95% of the end result!

Will I take the $1500 from old PBR Jag-man (he has 3 Jaguars, loves em and hes PBR,) ?................SHYTE YES and I will make sure he coughs up, put it this way YOU guys are my backing I will be showing him this thread when I'm finished.......... (which means I might have to edit the threads first )

In reality though he probably wont! friends are like that

I just want to rub it into his face and let you guys see it on you tube when I have..........................

Last edited by saabbatical; 06-12-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #36
TSLMember

liked your IRS thoughts! Had you thought about inboard mounted discs/callipers, to keep the unsprung weight down? With rear IRS it might be quite an advantage for either vehicle, and not too too difficult for one as adventurous as you seem to be...

I imagine you'll be weighing the wheel loadings before doing your suspension mods; it will be interesting to see how the weight distribution changes with the different engine/box combo you've installed.

There are several wanting IRS on their FWD Saabs, who might be interested in your thread and experience.
  2. It's below 0° C

Last edited by saabreur; 06-13-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #37

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
Definitely keeping an eye on this one...keep up the good work

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #38
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabreur View Post
liked your IRS thoughts! Had you thought about inboard mounted discs/callipers, to keep the unsprung weight down? With rear IRS it might be quite an advantage for either vehicle, and not too too difficult for one as adventurous as you seem to be...

I imagine you'll be weighing the wheel loadings before doing your suspension mods; it will be interesting to see how the weight distribution changes with the different engine/box combo you've installed.

There are several wanting IRS on their FWD Saabs, who might be interested in your thread and experience.
I did consider unsprung, the IRS idea came from the mate who owns the jags, he’s series? (cant remember he has so many) has that arrangement, discs/callipers mounted on the diff side not on the ends of the CV’s (pic below). Alas I am still restricted somewhat (dollars), I am trying my best to be more labour intensive with this project than money, this arrangement is the best and most importantly the cheapest option I can do…

I did plan on using only the live axle from the Holden (Vauxhall) Commodore to start with due to being free in the donor, but as the major Internet auction site goes the IRS came up for $50 complete and couldn’t resist. Its from a later model Holden (98ish), this is probably the cheapest type of IRS on the market (in OZ anyway) anything else cost’s a lot more and also I dont want to outsource so I’m limited to machinery (only certain mods can I do due to equipment)…
weird part though sold the live axle (on the internet site) for the same, balanced out in dollar terms…………. Go figure!

I am planning on putting the coil overs in the back (bootish area) actuated with a push rod on a bell crank…. That’s about the best I can do about unsprung weight. I do though now have to consider all that extra weight in the back (IRS) anyway, as the Saab never had that much there to begin with, it will be interesting what will eventuate…hmmm…(might feel like I have a caravan in the boot)

Last edited by saabbatical; 06-14-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #39
TSLMember

As I recall, saabatical, the Jag and similar deDion IRS setups, have the diff secured to the chassis, and the drive shafts have two universals each side. With the correct A-arm setup (unequal length?), the rear wheel doesn't tilt off vertical during its travel. The E-Type and likely others, used the drive shaft as one (upper) of the suspensions links. But there are weight penalties, even if it is unsprung!

You might find this discussion interesting, even though it's admittedly a few years old now.

This link also has some interesting info from Colin Chapman on suspension design... Worth the read.

Wish you all the best, and please keep up the discussion of the why of as well as what you're doing, or thinking of doing.
  2. It's below 0° C

Last edited by saabreur; 06-15-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added second link
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #40
TSLMember

Heres the spoiler bought off that same Internet site, love it or hate it gets what u need at the right price if your patient and diligent ...

I couldn't believe how close it came to fitting off the bat!
Its just sitting on the back of the boot for now and have worked out, that it will require very very very minimal trimming...... even the width is EXACT! and I mean EXACT. Same width as the boot, its off a 200sx Nissan. Bought this one for only one reason.......The price!
Bought it with the off chance that it would be slightly close and asked if it was fibreglass (expecting major fabricating).... to my amazement you would swear it was made for it.

Will be making a fibreglass boot for the car and moulding the wing into it at the same time. Ive got the glass so time is all I need now!

As I do it, will doco and post a DIY on fiberglassing with a link, once I post a picky of the finished item...give me a couple of weeks as I just started a new job!

purchase price $2.99 (no typo had to give him 3 no 1 or 2's in oz)...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in