Silver SPG for sale- Not a fake! - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #21
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I know you want to sell, but maybe you should consider just holding on to it and just drive it till it gives out? Thats what I would do, or try and get a realistic idea of the cost it would take to repair that rot.

If you really want/need to sell it, it unfortunately will not be for a high price.
Drive that? On the road? No, thanks

"Too far gone" and "scrap/parts value" come to mind.

Does RI have inspections? I can't see that car coming close to passing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
If it was an Aero that the PO posted, it should have come standard with the larger whale tail, side vent covers and headlight wipers as standard.
Perhaps in AU, not here. In the US, you could not get headlight wipers on any model before 1990, however in 1991, EVERY Saab model got headlight wipers, even base models.

Also, "Aero" models, known as SPG's here, did not have the whale tail, though at great expense you could get it as a factory accessory. Same with the vent covers, though they were cheap.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
keep the car, give me a call, ill try to work something out with you,, i may be able to weld in some sheetmeatle for less than originally quoted

you know my number, we'll make it work

as far as the hatch badges go,, the car looks like its had the hatch resprayed, or hatch replaced,, maybe improper badges were applied then.

its a tuff call for me on this car too, because if it was a more valueable car,, these floorboards would be fixxed in a heartbeat.

what needs to be weighed is the value of using this good motor/trans/SPGkit/springs on another saab,, over the value of making those floor pans work

i haev an 85 SPG in now im doing some floorpan work on,, that car is nowhere near as bad as yours,, but the process is still similer.

although rust sucks,, its nothing an angle grinder and a mig welder cant fix

to quote Foose
"When in doubt, reach for the tapemeasure"

Last edited by mike d; 09-23-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
You already know my thoughts on it, but I figured Id stop staring at the Viggen and planning long enough to say it on here:
Do what you can to save the thing. It will be worth it. And it will be cheaper than a new car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
keep the car, give me a call, ill try to work something out with you,, i may be able to weld in some sheetmeatle for less than originally quoted

you know my number, we'll make it work

as far as the hatch badges go,, the car looks like its had the hatch resprayed, or hatch replaced,, maybe improper badges were applied then.

its a tuff call for me on this car too, because if it was a more valueable car,, these floorboards would be fixxed in a heartbeat.

what needs to be weighed is the value of using this good motor/trans/SPGkit/springs on another saab,, over the value of making those floor pans work

i haev an 85 SPG in now im doing some floorpan work on,, that car is nowhere near as bad as yours,, but the process is still similer.

although rust sucks,, its nothing an angle grinder and a mig welder cant fix

to quote Foose
"When in doubt, reach for the tapemeasure"
Yes, but there is a point where it's almost beyond saving or not worth saving.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to watkins
That point is entirely in the eye of the owner, and nobody else.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
To me I think it was just a silver c900 turbo with the SPG kit bolted on. I don't think silver was ever an option for an SPG in the USA.
As far as I can tell, several US Silver SPGs existed (maybe 3).
Here is the original window sticker from mine. Port of import was Rhode Island and it was delivered to Ramsey Saab in Ramsey, NJ.

And this is what a US Silver SPG looks like...
only modifications post-delivery were wheel change and window tint

They do exist

Former: '97 9000 CS, '94 900 CV, '91 900 SPG,
'80 900 T, '79 900 EMS
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Well I know they exist as a kid in Claremont had one... He unfortunately was an idiot and jumped the car. It was much like the car in the OP though. It was all rusty and even had bondo under the control arms . It had a redbox too.

Last edited by zingZACH; 09-24-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #29
SAABeginner

Another Silver?

Nice! As Ben posted - I bought the one down here in VA. Needs some work, but all in all a keeper.

The easiest confirmation of an SPG (and I have posted this before) is to open up the drivers side door, remove the door card, and read the sticker. If it says "M AERO" - it's an SPG. This one looks identical to mine (with the exception of the replaced rear hatch) - hope you end up keeping it on the road.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #30

i sorta dont understand because, all in all, floorpan work is really not THAT bad. I mean, it sucks - but its not like its outside the realm of typical restoration on 10+ yr old cars.

Outside of the pans, this car 'seems' pretty solid. I mean its all there right?? I think its salvageable. We've done floorpans in all sorts of vintage muscle cars - so I cant comprehend why a Saab floorpan would be much different, or that much harder to do. Yeah, its a more current car than vintage muscle, so im sure a few more things will be in the way, but hell, if you're down there, you're down there.. so...

I wouldnt pay more than $4-500 for it - but still, I think 40-50 hours work time (DIY), and it could be a good car again - good, not great.

Seems like some are being pretty negative about this car. I guess because of the questionable SPG status.. But hell - even typical beat up
c900s sell all day long in non-running condition, plus pletny of wear and tear (and rust) for $500 plus.

Last edited by coreyeroc; 09-25-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #31
SAABeginner

I just did the passenger side frame rail rust (i.e. the drive tunnel). The floor pan in mine is solid - so I've never had to do it - but in general, I agree with Corey - it looks largely do it yourself. Welding, POR-15 - you are good to go.

And I'm going on record: that's an SPG/Aero. Canadian Import.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #32
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede115 View Post
These are the best pics I have at the moment, some are a bit cheesy but they show the car pretty well, I will try and take some more detailed interior rust pics in the meantime, probobly looking to get about 1600 if I do decide to ge rid of it. The car runs excellent
Swede - if you do decide to part that out, shoot me a PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #33

Hey Jeff...I might be mistaken but I thought the one I saw for sale in Virginia (perhaps the one you bought) was a Canadian model. If you look on the drivers side wheel arch at the vacuum diagram, does it say CAN88 or
US88?

Mine did not come with a red box, but it does have a K40 radar detector in it like the one seen hanging beneath the steering wheel in Zingzacks 2nd picture.

Former: '97 9000 CS, '94 900 CV, '91 900 SPG,
'80 900 T, '79 900 EMS
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #34
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
well you can see from the pictures that the floorpans are gone and it is into the rocker panels pretty good. also the rear suspension mounts under the rear seat are shot. it is certainly salvageable, but would have to be a frame up restoration either on a frame table or rotisserie, and an expert fabricator.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SPG View Post
Hey Jeff...I might be mistaken but I thought the one I saw for sale in Virginia (perhaps the one you bought) was a Canadian model. If you look on the drivers side wheel arch at the vacuum diagram, does it say CAN88 or
US88?

Mine did not come with a red box, but it does have a K40 radar detector in it like the one seen hanging beneath the steering wheel in Zingzacks 2nd picture.
That would be "CA88" but you should have a km/h speedo (well maybe not if imported to US)

Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #36
TSLMember

Yes I am going to hang on to this car, because personally the car is worth the work to me. Maybe not to everyone else, but I know that the car is in fact an spg because of the door jamb sticker, and the vin number was entered to the saab database before I purchased the car and the documentation proves it. The A arms are solid, so the work that needs to be done involves the floor boards and rear axle mounts/fender wells. I already have a solid parts cars ready to donate, so I will be taking on the project within the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #37
Elder

I know a faster way to fix this car if you have a donor car - but some may call it illegal..... lol
for your repair needs
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SPG View Post
US88?

Yup - that's the one I bought. Everything is in French/English. So I guess technically I have an "Aero" as opposed to an SPG?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #39
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede115 View Post
Yes I am going to hang on to this car, because personally the car is worth the work to me. Maybe not to everyone else, but I know that the car is in fact an spg because of the door jamb sticker, and the vin number was entered to the saab database before I purchased the car and the documentation proves it. The A arms are solid, so the work that needs to be done involves the floor boards and rear axle mounts/fender wells. I already have a solid parts cars ready to donate, so I will be taking on the project within the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
Good choice! I'm going to be able to stop driving mine in the next couple of weeks - so my restoration can begin in earnest. Hope you keep us all posted - nice to see another Silver one on the boards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in