transmission rebuild - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

transmission rebuild

Hello everyone. I am starting to think about my transmission swap/rebuild that i want to do early this spring. I have a rust free 1993 automatic turbo vert. I picked up a 1988 5spd trans with 200k on it last fall. I have everything to do the swap but i wanted to freshing up the trans before I put it in. I was thinking i would need to do the pinion housing bearings, syncro's, gaskets and clutch. I am looking for input on what else to check on. I the previous owner said the the transmission was okay but, I want to put it in once and have it stay there for awhile. Thesaabsite doesn't have the 2nd&3rd sycro ring or the crush washer(?) that I believe I am going to need. Does anyone know where to get them? Does anyone have any experience with the LuK clutches that are on ebay? O and I don't think this thing is ever going to see crazy horsepower either so stock should be okay right? Thanks Brian
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
im thinking about doing the same thing, all new bearings and gaskets,

but on my list is also a trip to nitro freeze in worster MA,, they'll cryo treat the entire box and all components for 150$. to me it seems like a good deal

talk to a guy named ryan when you call them,, hes a complete saabnut
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Mike have you broke down one of these transmissions Before? I never have. Cryo Huh? I don't know if i will need that. But it kinda interesting. I have seen powerslot offering that on there brake rotors. don't know too much about it though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You should be able to use 1st & 4th syncros for 2nd & 3rd. The friction material is different between them but, I don't know why. You best bet with the crush washer is to make a solid spacer instead. It will keep the proper pre-load on the bearings forever, even after they wear. The specs for the spacer are:

id. 33.77mm
od 43.00mm
length 19.20mm

I can't guarantee the accuracy of those dimensions. Here is some info about building stronger Saab boxes

http://www.performance96.co.uk/Proje...99Gearbox.html

Here are my old pinion bearings. If you look closely, you can see how worn the left one is.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Thanks Nate! I was looking at your picture and it looks that you have two different size bearings in your hand. Is the one on the left part #8729105 at http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/C900manualtrans.htm . In which case I would need two because i have a 1988 trans? Is the other a #8729113? I wouldn't need because of the fact that its a 88 correct? I am starting to think I'll do all the bearings, I hate to second guess myself. The peace of mind is worth the extra $$$. I will have to get someone to make me one of the spacers as I have no way to turn one of those rascals out. I probably won't use the guy that was doing the math on that board in the bottom of your picture though. Thanks again Brian
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
Elder

great info, seeing as illl be rebuilding a gearbox soon also
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doing-it-the-hard-way View Post
Thanks Nate! I was looking at your picture and it looks that you have two different size bearings in your hand.
Brian,

Sorry, that picture is a little deceiving. Those bearings are the same size, as yours will be. Any pre 89' box will have the same size bearings. The '89 and later have a larger rear bearing. That one wears more as you can see in my pic.

You want two bearings with the part # 8729105.

Also check out www.eeuroparts.com too. Be aware that when you order trans parts, most parts aren't kept in stock, so you may wait 10-14 days for your order to be shipped.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Yeah I think I will use eeuroparts. There website is a little better I think. I just tallied it all up and think I will be in the mid $300 range without a clutch. Not to bad I guess! I was looking and found this site to be helpful too(a little intimidating though). http://www.twinsaabs.com/900_repair/...o.asp?nsteps=7

Looks like I'll be taking a lot of pictures tearing into this trans so I can get it all back together.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
Elder

wow for 150 bucks i should have that t5 gearbox cryotreated really thats sounding relativly cheap.
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
Elder

it is a great deal, and is said to greatly increase the strength of the trans.. i got a new trans today,, with a car attached (see classified) probably wont be building this one up because i need a car to drive,, maybe the next one
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
Elder

still working on another one. i might need to pull one because we dont seemto have one laying around
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
TSLMember

Check out this thread for re-build info http://saabcentral.com/forums/showth...0&page=2&pp=20 I took a chillcast case and used parts from a 84 and 88 5 speed to turn the chillcast into a 5spd. I replaced all bearings and associated journal and list all 3rd party vendors/part #. Start at post #33 and go from there.

pierre
Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Elder

hows that working out. i have a chilcast box kicking around that i plan to rebuild. just havnt got a chance, and havent decided what car it is going into
JP

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
TSLMember

Works great. Don't worry about hard pulls in any gear other than first. And I got a short shifter, so "almost" like a real tranny.

pierre
Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Thank Pierre, I final had a chance today to sit down and go through your whole build. Very informative. The more posts like that I see the better off I'll be when I try to do my own. Thanks again, Brian
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot_saabvant View Post
Works great. Don't worry about hard pulls in any gear other than first. And I got a short shifter, so "almost" like a real tranny.

pierre
what kinda power are you putting down?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
TSLMember

225-250hp. Pretty much went through the all the mods one can do without upgrading to megasquirt or T5. Just need a clutch now that can handle my power.

pierre
Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Bringing this thread back! I just got around to blowing this trans apart. I have a couple questions. Brass looking ring at the end of one of the clusters looks bad. 1. Is It? 2 where do i get one? Also the synchro's in the picture. can they be swapped for the other type without harming anything. three of them look perfect and two look gray and worn. The last thing is the gear with the bit out of the tooth. this is the only mark on the whole thing. Is this okay to put back in?

Last edited by doing-it-the-hard-way; 05-21-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #19

That Gear is Reverse and as Long as the adjacent gear isn't Damaged it will work.. Until the other gear gets damaged and it Locks up in reverse.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Sorry about the small pics, lets try that again.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g?t=1242957807
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g?t=1242957861
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g?t=1242957889

Last edited by doing-it-the-hard-way; 05-21-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in