abdukted's EPIC 1990 turbo vert project HUGE PICS, NO DIALUP - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #41
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow!

Nice score man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #42
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Lets see how long the trans last with Dan behind the wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #43
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I dug these up, they are actually from an old friction tester.

Is this what your interior is supposed to look like:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
That's exactly what the seats should look like. For whatever reason, Colorado Red does not hold its color over the years. My '90 T16S convertible did the same thing.

Also Dan, I don't know if I'm gonna make it back in time to meet up with you tomorrow. Plans have been complicated by my mother, so it's up in the air as to when we're getting back into Rochester.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #45
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post

Jon
jon1..

I love this car

Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #46
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
looks nice! I really like the Colorado red, it's a shame it does not hold it's color. I wonder if a re-dye would help? I know that I have seen quite a few cars that went from a color like red to gray, so I would imagine that if you could source the right dye, it would be a pretty simple matter of bringing a color back to original provided that the leather was still in good shape.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #47
JK
Elder

I've seen good re-dye jobs on Colorado Red. Interestingly a friend of mine had a white convertible with the CO Red interior, he sold it to a tech at a Euro shop and the new owner re-did the leather dye. It turned out looking great!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #48

Supposedly the guys over at leatherique can make you a custom die if you provide a small sample patch, usually from the underside of one of the seats(where the sun hasn't beat it to death.

I've heard good things, but have no personal experience.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #49
Elder

Nice score w/ the Convert.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #50
Elder

Ah, I might as well get in on this too.

Dan and I work together. This is a great score and I can't wait to help him get it looking sharp. We've been talking shop at the office A LOT lately. This will look nice next to my Comm Ed in the parking garage, or the LeMans blue one I picked up if I decide to keep it. We'll have to see if they can install one of those Saab-Only signs, ey Dan?

I hooked him up with the cleaner, dye and sealer that I use from leatherworldtech.com. I'm confident Dan can get those seats looking as good as the ones from the friction tester. Can't wait to see the car in person. Will you have it at the office on Monday?

I'm hoping to get the rest of the SPG panels on the '92 tomorrow. If not, I'll be doing it in the lot over lunch time this week.

You need to get a "Jackie-O" vanity plate for that car too.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 11-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #51
Trollerator
Elder

Well, I just got home. Left at 7 AM and arrived home 7:00! Stopped in the 'cuse to meet a good friend for a late lunch and it poured rain all day so we took it easy.

I have to say, it's a decent car for the money. There are more paint/rust issues than i thought, but not major problems. more like tiny spots.

There are a few trolls hiding in there though. Somehow I jammed the trunk shut and can't get it back open. all the parts I need to get started are in there.

there appears to be some sort of hardwired thing on the dash that I can only guess is a radar detector. It went off at the grocery store on the way home. But never once made a sound passing the 900000 state troopers out on the road clocking speed today on i-90. Must be so old it can't detect their new guns.

The srs light is flashing

the odometer stopped working partway home

some weather stripping needs to be replaced, rain was coming in from the edge of the top and windshield up front and on the top of the door. Did I mention it rained HARD for HOURS?

not sure yet how to turn off the heat. my wife drove it home and said it wouldn't turn off. SHe finally got it "off" but it was still like a sauna.

The gas gauge keeps boucning around.

and when we tried to fill er up... the pump kept shutting off as if the tank was full.

ANY IDEAS ON ANY OF THESE TROLLS PLEASE SHARE

Ric, we will be talking shop some more my friend!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 11-15-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #52
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
not sure yet how to turn off the heat. my wife drove it home and said it wouldn't turn off. SHe finally got it "off" but it was still like a sauna.

and when we tried to fill er up... the pump kept shutting off as if the tank was full.

Mine does that. It may be the valve that is in the dash, or one of the control rods is un hooked. Since I pnly drive my car in the summer, and 90% of the time the windows are down, I ignore it.

Mine does the gas thing too. I think it's due to the shape of the filler tube.

Just uh, pump slower.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #53
Elder

C-900's just do that pump thing. tilt it around, there is one spot that is "just right" that it will work in.

the heat never going off I would agree with Palmer. the control rod probably just fell off behind the dash. fairly easy fix.

the gas guage... well it bounces around, but on average does it work? does the gas light work? if yes, then I'd let that be. If not, see other threads here about the aluminum soda can looking thing in the gas tank.

If the top is leaking, even a little, you should pull the floor rusters out, #1. After that, track it down and replace what ever is leaking. Hopefully it's not the canvas...
Old 11-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #54
Elder

oh as for the SRS light, replace the clockspring. (this is the problem 90% of the time). If it's not that, got to take it to a dealer that has & knows how to use the ISAT or the C-900 airbag tester. Either that or remove the bulb.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #55
Elder

If the weatherstrip is leaking above the windows, the windows may just need realignment. Or the catches on the top may need adjustment.

When you put the window up, does it sometimes end up on the wrong side of the rear-window edge weatherstrip? (the piece between the front and rear windows). When the door is closed, is the space between the front door glass and the rear window molding the same along the whole edge? If you have either of these going on, the door glass needs realignment.

I agree with the heater control issue. The heater control knob is connected to the heater control with a long rod with universal joints at either end that fit onto the control and switch. If the gauge cluster has been removed, or the radio has been worked on, or if someone adds "some kind of electronic device to the dashboard" it could have come disconnected--easy fix.

One thing to keep in mind as a new classic owner. The center vent is fresh air only, no heat comes from it. If you put the recirculation switch in the "on" position, that closes off the outside air supply. If you had the opposite problem (not enough heat) that's how you'd correct it.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #56
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

If the top is leaking, even a little, you should pull the floor rusters out, #1. After that, track it down and replace what ever is leaking. Hopefully it's not the canvas...
what are floor rusters?

So far it looks like the leaks are just where the top meets the windows, windshield. The weatherstripping there looks old and brittle, cracked. And Yes, the windows might need some alignment... the PO did not seem to have a grasp on how to raise and lower the top

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #57
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post

Ooof. The geiger-countering gas gauge is your fuel sender gone awry. There's more information about it in this thread. Right now, I haven't yet sourced a used sender (they're stupid expensive at eEuroparts) for Little Red, but my odometer works just fine and I know 300 miles is a good time to start thinking about getting her a drink.

In regards to adjustments, if Ric doesn't have the c900 service manual specific to convertible issues (it's section 8:5), let me know and I'll scan pages for you. It talks about how to adjust pretty darn near everything, although I haven't attempted the door-window, rear-quarter window allignment just yet. Sounds like a good winter project to me.

As for the heat, it definitely sounds like something is disconnected and, having had just put that rod back together on Little Red with some onphone support from Notchback, it's pretty easy and involves pulling the left dash speaker cover! Also, realize that c900 heating systems double as pottery kilns. That's just their normal state of being. It comes in handy with convertibles during spring and fall drives with the top down.

Oh, for the trunk, I've had this problem with Little Red. Try putting your palm on the sheet metal just above the key hole, pushing down while trying the latch. That always works for me.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #58
Trollerator
Elder

the latch is stuck in position. If i can't get it open I am going to see about taking the back seat out and hoping for trunk access

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #59
Trollerator
Elder

Can anyone make key copies or must I see the dealer?

also, I want to re-upholster the zebra print stuff in the interior. How do the door cards come out, clips? just yank them?

thanks guys for getting me started with a classic. Looks like I have plenty to keep busy over the winter

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Last edited by abdukted1456; 11-16-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #60
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Re-upholstery is fun and easy, kids!* Actually, all you have to do is unscrew the door handle and pull down on the card. I did my plaid inserts for Little Red in about an hour, start to finish.

The only thing I'd change on them is maybe getting some thin, batting material to affix to the panel and then affix the fabric to that, just to give it a little more dimension. But, they look good for now and a hell of a lot better than the ones that came with the car.

*Also helps to cut down on stink left behind by homeless guy who commandeered car at one point in its life.

Last edited by aireeca; 11-16-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
c900, carpet dye, convertible, dying carpet, faq, fixing leather, floor rusters, leather dye, leather repair, leatherworldtech.com, patching leather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in