Checklist of things needed - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #41
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
It's not about the lightweight seats... I want comfort.

Plus, I got the seats for silly cheap from Palmer.

My wheels are lighter than Aeros.. I have the Konig Viggen "replica" wheels, which I think are right around 19-20lbs each. Which isn't too bad.

If I was to replace the Aero seats, I'd go for the recaro sport topline power/heated/vented seats... but those are $1600

In all reality, I don't think 100 extra lbs from the seats/wheels will make much difference.
Ah my fault thought you had Aeros for some reason. You can get some pretty light wheels for the C900 14.00lb for really cheap "rota slipstream". Thought the car was going to be used mostly for track and not DD.

The aero seats about about 90 each?? Ebay has some great deals on seats. "Recaro sport topline" not that wise of a choice very ugly and prob don't weight that much less IMO.

Let me know if that tial falls though i might had a friend that is selling his.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #42
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
I updated the first post...

Now, I was thinking last night. I should probably upgrade my motor mounts while I have the engine out. Are there any recommendations for good, solid, motor mounts that will last and take some abuse?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #43
Elder

Bah, reading IronJoes thread on SC reminded me I still need to pick up a LH2.4.2 throttle body...

As one list shrinks, another grows...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #44
Elder

Updated first post again...

Just for confirmation... which years of the 2.3L 9000 heads fit on the B202 block for an 89? I'm thinking i can source a 2.3L 9000 head faster than a 2.1L 900 one.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #45
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
the 90-93 9000 / 9000-S should be correct (assuming it's a 2.3, in 90 there were a few 2.0 9000's). Also all 91 or 92 2.3 turbo 9000. Also 900-S / 900 from 1991-1993. 1993 9000's (all) are sometimes right, sometimes not. you need to look at the timing cover area and be sure it has the timing cover bolts on the bottom of the head, and it will be correct for your car.

As for motor mounts, I highly recommend using NEW OEM saab motor mounts. Also need to do the front mount movement limiter modification. With new OEM mounts, a non leaky engine (you don't want oil on the rubber mounts), and the front mount limiter modification, you will have no engine mount problems for 10+ years. If you use those aftermarket mounts, expect constant problems with engine mounts and an overall crappy feel... I actually had one of those aftermarket mounts fail after about 2 weeks worth of use. nice...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #46
Elder

Amish, the part number for the head is 911535. Should be cast directly above the timing chain tensioner area. I used a low-mile '92 9000 S head.

Use a stock c900 2.0 gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #47
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
the 90-93 9000 / 9000-S should be correct (assuming it's a 2.3, in 90 there were a few 2.0 9000's). Also all 91 or 92 2.3 turbo 9000. Also 900-S / 900 from 1991-1993. 1993 9000's (all) are sometimes right, sometimes not. you need to look at the timing cover area and be sure it has the timing cover bolts on the bottom of the head, and it will be correct for your car.

As for motor mounts, I highly recommend using NEW OEM saab motor mounts. Also need to do the front mount movement limiter modification. With new OEM mounts, a non leaky engine (you don't want oil on the rubber mounts), and the front mount limiter modification, you will have no engine mount problems for 10+ years. If you use those aftermarket mounts, expect constant problems with engine mounts and an overall crappy feel... I actually had one of those aftermarket mounts fail after about 2 weeks worth of use. nice...

Thanks for the tips on the motor mounts.

I figure that while I can use a 2.3L head from a 9000... that I still need to get a 2.1L intake manifold from a C900... right?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #48
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
Amish if you need a fuel rail and can't get one locally PM my your address cause I have a few laying around that you can have.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #49
Elder

Not necessarily.

As manifolds go, the 2.1L is better for high-end power, the 2.0 is better for low-end grunt. You can use the 2.0 if you gasket-match it to the 2.1 gasket/head.

Many on SC in europe do this, because they never got the 2.1L c900 and the manifolds are nonexistant.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #50
Elder

Well, I'm trading low end gruntage for high end wompage.... So looks like I'm still on the lookout for a 2.1 Intake Manifold...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #51
JK
Elder

I know where there are a few...but you have to call them.

I give hint - I used to work there.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #52
Elder

How bout a throttle body JK?

I lost mine

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #53
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I know where there are a few...but you have to call them.

I give hint - I used to work there.
I was at Andrews on Saturday, and talked to Don. He's looking into the parts list I asked for... but he wasn't sure whether they had any.

They also had a free carwash, so they washed my car for me. And I got Hot Dogs & Free Pop.

Chuck & I also discussed why Saab's don't have 3rd row seats.. because then where would the crumple zone be?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #54
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
How bout a throttle body JK?

I lost mine
Sabeh still has his that he was selling... I'm getting the TB & Trans cover from Jeff... I think Sabeh wanted $40 for his, but you'll have to check with him.

Will this become a race to see who gets MS tuned first? You or me?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #55
Elder

Quote:
Will this become a race to see who gets MS tuned first? You or me?
A little friendly competition is just what I need to motivate me. But the custom ignition setup will probably set me back.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #56
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
A little friendly competition is just what I need to motivate me. But the custom ignition setup will probably set me back.
Good! I need all the advantage I can get!

And I have a shop here in MN that tunes Megasquirt... Might be getting some free dyno time in exchange for a weekend of slave labor moving stuff in their shop.

Oh, and my search for a Fuel rail just changed... I need a fuel rail from a 2.1L C900 if I'm to use a 2.1L intake manifold...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #57
Elder

Quote:
Good! I need all the advantage I can get!
Yeah... my motor is installed. Yours isn't. Get to work!

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #58
JK
Elder

Amish, the problem with Andrews is that they have so much stuff, and much of the used stuff is not cataloged. Example, parts with be tagged with "Saab 900 non-turbo" on a head or intake manifold.

The only way I could find the "special" parts was to root around in the piles of awesomeness in their warehouse.

I know they parted out at least one 1993 900S when I worked there, no idea if the motor stayed in one piece, or was parted out, or what.

Another thing to think about, is a LH2.4.2 9000 throttle body the same? I know the TPS is, and they look to have the same 3-bolt pattern. It might be easier to find one of those...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #59
JK
Elder

On a related note...Chuck is not thinking he can tune my '91 9000 using LH2.4.2 right now - too busy.

So, it looks like I have to figure out MS with a custom ignition system. I don't want to use a vac advance/retard dizzy...so maybe ford coils, or some other coils?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #60
Elder

EDIS is a widely used option for MS'd cars. I'll let ya know how it goes

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in